March 19, 2019, 09:54:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water in Oil  (Read 562 times)
dman
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: July 07, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »

Hi Scooter World,
I need some HELP!
A friend gave me a 2006 Morphous which was sitting for 5 years.  Yes 5 Years.  I cleaned out the gas tank, purchased a used fuel pump. I got it started.
I went to change the oil and found water mixed in.  I removed the side case and had the Water Pump rebuilt but i still find water mixed in with oil.
Do anyone have any idea what it can be???
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 114

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »

Gasket leak?
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 294
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 08:57:32 PM »

I agree. The only time I ever had a water/oil mix problem was due to a failed head gasket. There are a few other possibilities but  the head gasket is the most likely culprit. Do you know if the engine was ever severely overheated?
dman
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 01:23:36 AM »

The Scooter has 410 miles total and I dont know if it Overheated.
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 294
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 04:26:29 AM »

If, for some reason, the engine was overheated badly there could be cracks in the head but most likely it has a bad head gasket.
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 8

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 07:25:05 AM »

Only 400 miles and parked for years? Sounds like something catastrophic happened.  Does the fan work?
Atis
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 12:42:46 PM »

If it sat for many years and was started for short periods while sitting in the garage it may very well just be collected condensation.  That's the reason starting a stored vehicle frequently without a proper run is never recommended.  If this was the very first change I would keep a close watch on it and do another change soon and see how it looks after its been driven a bit.
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 21

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 05:39:13 PM »

If it sat for many years and was started for short periods while sitting in the garage it may very well just be collected condensation.  That's the reason starting a stored vehicle frequently without a proper run is never recommended.  If this was the very first change I would keep a close watch on it and do another change soon and see how it looks after its been driven a bit.
I think if the side case was removed and the water pump rebuilt as the OP stated, (though probably just a replacement of the water seal)
then the coolant and oil were likely drained and replaced after the water seal was done. So any water re-appearing means that there is
coolant getting into the crankcase some other way. That could be by getting past a warped head if perhaps at some point it became severely
overheated, a crack in the water jacket somewhere, or as with a problem I had once, an incorrectly placed small coolant line.

On my Reflex, it was a small diameter coolant line that was for heating the carb and had been somehow swapped with a vacuum or air hose
by the PO that allowed coolant to get into the air-box then to the crankcase via a hose from the air-box to the crankcase vent. I'm not sure if
the Morphous uses a similar method to circulate coolant and oil and also heat the carb, but it would seem to be something worth investigating...
Especially if a compression test negates a leak at the head/cyclinder as a possible way for coolant getting into the crankcase.

In any event, please let us know what you find and what you had done to get it fixed. Good luck.

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
dman
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 03:04:50 AM »

Only 400 miles and parked for years? Sounds like something catastrophic happened.  Does the fan work?
Yes - The fan works.
dman
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 03:20:25 AM »

Hey Guys - Thanks All of You.
The bike sat for 5 years because of a divorce.  I have No Idea on a Bad Overheating. I do ride dirt bikes and when I see water in oil, My 1st thought is bad water seal.  That's why i had the water pump rebuilt.  I will ask the shop if the water pump seal was replaced.
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 17

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 06:28:36 PM »

If not a head gasket, take off the exhaust and see if it is filled with water.

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
bandito2
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 21

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 04:41:22 AM »

Dang but it is a little bit bothersome when folks don't follow up to a problem.
It is approaching 5 months since the OP sent a message regarding his issue.

Was it fixed? If so, then what was the cause? And what was done If to make
the repair? If it was not fixed, then why not? Will attempts be made later to fix it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: