October 17, 2019, 09:35:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2T two stroke oil  (Read 217 times)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 208
-Receive: 77

Email
« on: June 21, 2018, 11:41:12 PM »

While I'm waiting on a box of bits to come from SIP I need to order some 2T oil. In fear of starting an oil war can someone report their findings on what they've used. Back in a day I used Bel-Ray Synthetic but from what I read the P200's need dino for the thicker viscosity. Motul maybe? Seems to be what most of the major scoot shops sell. If so which version of it, these many to choose from.

Eric

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
smokemup
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Cant remember x 65ea

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 2

Any ride is a good ride!

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 11:18:34 AM »

Bump!

Either Semi or Full Synthetic Ester oil that is ash less, 15000km from a plug when jetted correctly in an oil injected 2 stroke bike. Benefit is no visable smoke. You can also get it in strawberry scent!!!

My 2 stroke oil of choice is Penrite MC-2ST Full Synthetic Ester, about $24AUD per liter.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:47:34 PM »

Thanks for the reply!
smokemup
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Cant remember x 65ea

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 2

Any ride is a good ride!

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 03:41:01 AM »

Not stalking you Virginian, and maybe somewhat off topic - but worth considering.

The question you pose is one usually draws a whole lot of passion from riding enthusiasts but not so much so with the average commuter. If the question relates to oil in the gearbox/clutch section on 2 stroke motorbikes/scooters then I have a different opinion on that as well.

I'll be using Castrol ACTIV 2T (JASO FC) on my long ride as the Penrite (Australian specific?) may not be available in the middle section of the ride and I don't really like mixing oils for an oil injected motor. The Full Synthetic Esters have a JASO rating of FD and is appx 50% more expensive than the Semi Syn oil in Oz. The Full Syn oil may be good for mechanical insurance though, if I had a new bike I would use what EXCEEDED the manufactures requirements.

While a 50cc 2 stroke may, to some, be considered economical it is far from the truth. The calculation for the 5500km ride is 8 liters or 2.16 US gal or 8.4 qts of 2 stroke oil costing appx $110 AUD. Fuel is calculated at 210 liters costing appx $310 ($1.50 per liter or $3.80USD per US gal). The cost of oil alone represents 34% for Semi Syn or a whopping 46% for the Full Synthetic oil!

Calculation based on;
1000km for 1L oil injection system (appx 35:1)
Running additional 100:1 premix in the fuel tank, less if temperature <25C more if >35C.                             
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 04:10:27 AM »

I never looked at the issue through that lens but what you state makes perfect sense. I have been out of the 2T game for a while and was more looking to see what folks were using these days. I didn't get much of a response so I went with my standard Bel-Ray synthetic which has served me well for decades.

Eric
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: