August 16, 2018, 01:08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 Americade Demo Rides  (Read 190 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 361

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: June 13, 2018, 04:27:34 PM »

Not going to review each of the bikes I tried as that would be a wall of text that you don't want to read and I really don't want to write but will instead give a very brief impression of each.  If anyone has any specific questions about any of the bikes I will happily elaborate.

BMW R1200R.  Everything you need and a bit more.

KTM 1290 Super Duke GT.  Powerful, great handling, tall with a coarse motor.

Indian Scout with touring accessories/Scout Bobber.  A tale of two bikes.  The green touring bike shifted badly, handled poorly and brakes were so-so, it was comfy though.  The black Bobber was fun, handled better and the clutch/shifter more responsive.  I think the green Scout may have had some issues.

BMW RnineT Racer.  Raucous, punchy and extremely uncomfortable at slow speeds or in group rides.

Aprillia Shiver 900.  Potent, usable power with sweet handling.

BMW S1000XR.  Get speeding tickets in supreme comfort, sublime handling and unending power.

Moto Guzzi V9 Roamer.  Slow, left-lurching motor and uncertain handling but charming and enjoyable to ride.

Yamaha XSR 700.  Spunky, fun with middling handling and suspension.

Suzuki GSX-S 1000.  Powerful and well sorted, shifting is optional.

Honda CB 1100 EX.  Drop-dead gorgeous, well mannered and is rock solid at 95 mph on the interstate.

BMW R1200RS.  Would be a sweet ride if the R1200R didn't exist.

Honda GoldWing DCT.  Bonus remarks, I didn't ride but my friend John stated, "I could ride this bike across the country... happily".

I really loved the R1200R and lusted the S1000XR, both amazing bikes in different ways.  You could really notice the average suspension and handling differences when riding the Yamaha XSR bikes compared to the BMW's, Aprillia, Suzuki or KTM's that we tried.

I could see myself owning either the R1200R or S1000XR but will most likely get the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT someday.

Practicing Normite.
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 290
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »

Great photos. Thank you for sharing them with us.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 46
-Receive: 90

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:58:42 AM »

Thanks for the impressions, Dan. I may have to plan to return just for the new bike displays.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 49
-Receive: 230

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 05:48:03 PM »

Fun bikes and something for everyone.  I'm afraid I'd have to go with the Wing, though.  Nice looking bike.  Unfortunately my hands and wrists can't tolerate the riding position of the sport bikes.  Looks like you had a great time sampling motorcycles, Dan.  Thanks for the report.

Greg
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 380
-Receive: 195

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 02:32:27 AM »

Thanks Dan! Looks like you had another enjoyable time!

A friend of mine was invited by Honda to Texas to test ride the new GoldWing. I asked him how he liked it his response was simple. "If you don't have the money to buy one, don't ride one"

Incidentally our local Million Mile Man, The fellow who put a million miles on a 1975 GL 1000 is now riding around on a pretty red 2018 GoldWing.

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 361

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »

Fun bikes and something for everyone.  I'm afraid I'd have to go with the Wing, though.  Nice looking bike.  Unfortunately my hands and wrists can't tolerate the riding position of the sport bikes.  Looks like you had a great time sampling motorcycles, Dan.  Thanks for the report.

No worries, you take out that Wing.  Really the only bike I rode with supersport seating was the BMW RnineT Racer.  Everything else was either upright or slightly forward.

A friend of mine was invited by Honda to Texas to test ride the new GoldWing. I asked him how he liked it his response was simple. "If you don't have the money to buy one, don't ride one"

I didn't ride one but my friend did and he really enjoyed it.  From my point of view it's a much better looking bike and I like the fact they worked on making it lighter though it's still a big rig in the mc world.  If I had one more day I would have given one a go.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 49
-Receive: 230

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 05:41:55 PM »

"I didn't ride one but my friend did and he really enjoyed it.  From my point of view it's a much better looking bike and I like the fact they worked on making it lighter though it's still a big rig in the mc world.  If I had one more day I would have given one a go."

Dan, it ain't over 'til it's over.  😄😄
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: