June 20, 2018, 06:02:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Traded Bikes Saturday  (Read 368 times)
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 93

Email
« on: June 12, 2018, 03:08:26 AM »

I'd seen an add from Road Track & Trail in Wisconsin for a 2009 FJR AE with 10,000 miles on the clock.  On Saturday I went and looked at it and had them look at my 07 FJR with 50,000 miles.  Their FJR has a Delkovic exhaust and a crappy Pelican case (just big enough to put a pistol in) and frame sliders.  It also had brand new Michelin PR 4s and was in perfect shape other then scuffs on the side cases.

On the other hand my FJR had two nearly bald tires, badly in need of valve check (never had one) plugs and maybe a Cam chain tensioner and the suspension is 50,000 miles old.  They are moving my Heli-Riser, highway pegs, and letting me keep my RDL seat and evil top case.  The money difference was about $3,000.00 which is a little steep but 2009 was the last year of FJR AE models in the USA and I so love the FJR AE model.

I also like the FJR almost black that they used on the 08 and 09 a lot better then the "Ceralluen Silver" that they did the 06 and 07 in.  The one thing that they wouldn't move for me was the "Lights and Siren".  Who ever buys my old FJR from them will not get the lights and siren either.  They claimed that they are not allowed to re-sell it that way.

This way I figure that the new FJR will take me a few years and by that time a used DCT Goldwing may end up in my future.  Assuming I'm still around, healthy and strong enough to hold a big girl like this up.

If I can make time to get the DN-01 into the shop it might be next to go on the sales block.  Three bikes was maybe a little carried away.  So if I can get my act together I may fix the DN-01 and give it to the Honda dealer on consignment then take the money and my TMAX to trade or to sell the TMAX and look at the new generation of TMAX.  Then again that Road Track and Trail had several used Chiefs that were very interesting as well as a scout or two.  I can't really imagine that I'd ride a Chief, but then again you never know.  The one thing I'm sure about is that the TMAX would only go if I'm buying the next generation of TMAX.

On Saturday my friend, Mubarak went with me to Wisconsin which worked well as I needed a ride home and a ride back next Saturday when I pick up the new bike after they've moved the risers.  Mubarak wanted to take his BMW C 600, but it was pouring rain by him so he took the car.  About two years ago I taught Mubarak to ride and got him involved.  He bought the C 600 on my suggestion, but has now expanded his collection to include an older Harley Davidson and a 1999 Anniversary Edition Honda Goldwing Trike.  While he was there he kind of fell in love with a 2003 Goldwing that had a custom paint job to be painted as an American flag design.  This Road Track and Trail is very difficult about any bargaining and he didn't / couldn't make a deal.  So today he asked me to call them with a few more questions and changed his mind when he found that it didn't have ABS.  Now next Saturday he has to drive me back to pick up the FJR.  It will be interesting to see if he drools on that Goldwing again.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 301
-Receive: 703

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 05:09:55 AM »

Congrats o the new bike

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 84

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:26:46 PM »

Rich, You're starting to sound like Mr. Crabbypants! Good luck with the new ride, can't wait to see it.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 107
-Receive: 176

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »

Nice move, and interesting thoughts on motorcycle ownership. About a year ago, I went from three to two in the garage (when I actually had a garage) and two seems to be the better arrangement, with some reservations every now and then. Best wishes with the updated FJR. And like many other TMax owners, you have developed quite an affinity for that model, which is great.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 43
-Receive: 222

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 06:01:55 PM »

Nothing wrong with continuing with what you're familiar with.  You know what they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." And the trouble with Gold Wings is, if you try it and like it, you're hooked.  Your friend may find himself in that position.

Greg
Virginian
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: '18 Yamaha Xmax 300, '14 Vespa 946, '17 Yamaha FZ-10

Thank You
-Given: 66
-Receive: 36

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 06:17:15 PM »

Congratulations on the new bike.

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:04:10 AM »

Thanks Steve.  I still remember how nice you were to meet me, and offer help if needed, after I bought my second Burgman.  Storage and insurance become issues.

Greg, those thoughts are all over me.  My friend has this Goldwing trike and he's becoming a Goldwing addict.  He's having me look at Goldwing ads and he's becoming determined.  I tried to show him a BMW K 1200 LT which is BMWs version of a Goldwing, but it didn't seem to excite him.

Bruce, I only sound like Mr. Crabbypants.  We all know that there is only one Mr. Crabbypants and even if I tried hard I'd still be nothing more then a pretender.  The Chief sure does look beautiful but it's just too heavy and too much for what I think I'd like.  Whereas the Scout probably takes off really well and isn't a behemoth monster.  That makes a Scout attractive, but I'm not sure that I'd have comfort at all.  The updated FJR was easy because I knew how it would be without second thought.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 218
-Receive: 355

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:55 AM »

Congrats on the new bike.  I used to live twenty minutes north of Road, Track and Trail.  I never bought a bike from them but would visit there shop from time to time, always were very professional and friendly to me.

Practicing Normite.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 06:49:20 AM »

Mr. Crabbypants just happens to currently have an 'Apprentice Minion, Third Class' position open if anyone would care to apply.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »

Does it include riding privileges?
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 107
-Receive: 176

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »

Does it include riding privileges?

Suddenly the application process seems much more interesting. Since he didn't post a job description, the answer must be "yes."
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 06:29:20 PM »

Thanks Steve.  I still remember how nice you were to meet me, and offer help if needed, after I bought my second Burgman.  Storage and insurance become issues.

Greg, those thoughts are all over me.  My friend has this Goldwing trike and he's becoming a Goldwing addict.  He's having me look at Goldwing ads and he's becoming determined.  I tried to show him a BMW K 1200 LT which is BMWs version of a Goldwing, but it didn't seem to excite him.

Bruce, I only sound like Mr. Crabbypants.  We all know that there is only one Mr. Crabbypants and even if I tried hard I'd still be nothing more then a pretender.  The Chief sure does look beautiful but it's just too heavy and too much for what I think I'd like.  Whereas the Scout probably takes off really well and isn't a behemoth monster.  That makes a Scout attractive, but I'm not sure that I'd have comfort at all.  The updated FJR was easy because I knew how it would be without second thought.

I think BMW makes some fine motorcycles.  In fact, we owned an '04 R1150RT that both of us didn't like.  The issue I have with BMW's is that they are expensive to own.  You have to bring it in for the prescribed and mandatory service intervals or your warranty becomes void.  Then there are BMW parts;  they're extremely expensive, as are aftermarket accessories made for BMW.

Over a 20 year period I owned 4 different Gold Wings, 2 GL1500's and 2 GL1800's and none of them had anything go wrong with them, other than things that need to be replace periodically, like brakes, fork seals, etc.  Honda's warranty had no provisions requiring you to bring the bike in for periodic services like BMW's does.  Oh, and each of those service checks costs at least $400.00.  Anyway, my experience with the Gold Wing was entirely positive.  They were a joy to own and ride, and proved to be utterly reliable.  The GL1500 was a freeway burner, while the 1800 was a blast to ride on twisty roads, and a hoot when you twisted the throttle.

You, too, could get hooked on a Wing if you're not careful.  I've ridden the FJR1300 and really liked it.  It was powerful and handled well.  But I'm tall enough that the riding position was a little cramped for me, at least to be a long distance tourer for me.  Still a fun motorcycle.  So if you ever decide to change your genre and try a Gold Wing, you might also get bit by the bug.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:29 AM »

Greg, I went and picked it up today.  I had a few bad moments with the dealer, but the manager was smart and made it work out.  It’s amazing, when I test road the new FJR last week, it rode well, but after a 15 minute ride I was hurting bad.  Now with the new style Heli-riser and the RDL it rode well and was comfortable for the whole 120 miles plus.  It’s amazing how much the combination of the new improved Heli-riser (they added a brake line extension so they could give even a little more up and back) with an RDL seat that’s had 100,00 miles with my rear on it, makes that bike comfortable.

Mubarak went back with me, but they’d sold the GL he looked at. He did sit on a bunch of bikes and ruled out a BMW K 1600 GT,  the Chief, Scout, a FZ-1 I made him mount and lowered V Storm 650.  He’s more determined to find the right Goldwing.  Greg, you’re right, I could end up being a Goldwing addict after this FJR.

Now I can measure the difference between the old and new bike.  They are much alike, but the new bike is much smoother due to a less worn out suspension, much better engine tune, the clutch mechanism is better adjusted and they improved the throttle smoothness in the 09. Oh, BTW the new bike has new Michelin PR 4s where the old bike had mostly bald PR 4s.  New tires always feel good.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »

Greg, I went and picked it up today.  I had a few bad moments with the dealer, but the manager was smart and made it work out.  It’s amazing, when I test road the new FJR last week, it rode well, but after a 15 minute ride I was hurting bad.  Now with the new style Heli-riser and the RDL it rode well and was comfortable for the whole 120 miles plus.  It’s amazing how much the combination of the new improved Heli-riser (they added a brake line extension so they could give even a little more up and back) with an RDL seat that’s had 100,00 miles with my rear on it, makes that bike comfortable.

Mubarak went back with me, but they’d sold the GL he looked at. He did sit on a bunch of bikes and ruled out a BMW K 1600 GT,  the Chief, Scout, a FZ-1 I made him mount and lowered V Storm 650.  He’s more determined to find the right Goldwing.  Greg, you’re right, I could end up being a Goldwing addict after this FJR.

Now I can measure the difference between the old and new bike.  They are much alike, but the new bike is much smoother due to a less worn out suspension, much better engine tune, the clutch mechanism is better adjusted and they improved the throttle smoothness in the 09. Oh, BTW the new bike has new Michelin PR 4s where the old bike had mostly bald PR 4s.  New tires always feel good.

Rich, you made a very sound decision to keep your RDL and to have them put the risers on the new bike.  I did the same with the ST1300 I had.  Made it much easier on the hands and wrists, with the risers, and with the RDL, well, you know.  And I know about new tires. They seem to transform a motorcycle.

One of the issues I had with the FJR was the stiffness of the throttle.  Now, the one I rode was my friend's, and it was one of the early models, so I'd guess this could have been an issue raised by FJR owners.  Anyway, at the end of the day, my right hand and wrist were worn out and I was very glad to be off the bike.

As for the Gold Wing, it's my opinion that there is no better platform for long distance touring, and, within its limitations due to size and weight, a great sporting bike.  I like that heat isn't much of an issue when it's hot out, and the large fairing provides good protection when it's cold.  I guess I pretty much took that for granted until I got the Vstrom which provided little protection.  At least until I got a much larger aftermarket windshield.  I suspect that should you cave and take a Gold Wing for a spin, you will convert.  Like Captain Jean Luc Picard would say, "Resistance is futile."
Silver
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 219
-Receive: 14

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 08:09:00 PM »

I have ridden and loved many motorcycles/scooters in my life and would never say a bad word about most of them and I totally agree with Greg on his last statement about the Honda Goldwing. I may take some resistance on this but in my opinion there is no finer touring machine on the planet than an 1800 Goldwing. For those of you who may balk or doubt it......please take the time to ride one and you will quickly realize that you are riding the "Top Of The Pile" in the long distance motorcycle world.

Ride Often !
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 7

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »

Full disclosure: I've never ridden a GoldWing.  However, a friend once described them as "half a Caddie, but built by Honda".  Looking at one while I was waiting on my Silver Wing (getting tires) I can see why.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 01:22:13 AM »

The Gold Wing is often referred to as an "old man's motorcycle," or "your grandfather's motorcycle.". The GL1500 might possible fit that, but never the GL1800.  I like to refer to as a sport bike on steroids.  All that weight and bulk seem to disappear the moment the clutch is let out.  After putting on well over 200,000 miles on a GL1800, I'm firmly convinced of that.

That said, I have to concede that, despite all it's high points and desireability, the Honda Gold Wing just isn't for everybody.  But if you want to tour or ride 2-up, it's darned hard to beat.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »

Greg, there is a you tube video out there somewhere of an old time rider doing the Tail of the Dragon on a Goldwing.  This old guy knew how to make his Goldwing just about sing and dance through the turns.  Once the Goldwing is going about 7 to 8 MPH it's one of the smoothest things on wheels.

I blew into work late today as I took the new to me FJR out for a pre-breakfast spin and breakfast.  It just makes me know how much the old to me FJR needed work to ride right.  I've only one complaint and it's awful minor.  On an FJR the side stand is very long, so much so that the rider has to be careful where they stop because if there is a little incline the bike can fall over.  The PO of my new FJR shortened the side stand.  IMHO he shortened it a little too much.  Now this bike leans over a little too much when on the side stand.  I'm totaly used to the way the stock in, so each time I put the bike on the side stand it feels like it's going to fall over.  FJRs fall over very easily to start with and are a truly heavy "Old Girl", so this is very disconcerting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: