July 23, 2018, 01:11:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little dilemma for 2019 Rally  (Read 1196 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 323
-Receive: 730

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: June 06, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »

Pete and I will be in Europe during the time we normally would go to our annual gathering.

For the record and consideration the rally will be held in Lake George area of New York. (more to eastern side in early thoughts)

So the options are:

1. Cancel next year

2. Move to July or early August

3. Someone else pick a rally site and hold the event in the date we always would.  This would in no way upset me.  

4.  Push the September date back a couple of weeks (about the 17th) and hold the rally in Arkansas

Thoughts??

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 113
-Receive: 178

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 04:17:21 PM »

Although not endorsing any particular choice, the question is interesting for me because 2019 will have the first September in a long time without a daughter involved in high school fall sports/activities that I want to attend. Olivia graduates next June. Otherwise, I might have chosen move to July or August.

Since 2019 has a much higher likelihood of attending a rally for the first time since 2012, I'll put '1. Cancel next year' in last place among the options and stop there for now.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 04:46:20 PM »

My choices are 1,3 and 4

I think having the rally any where in the summer becomes a huge pain for several reasons.  Cost, availability, crowds etc etc.

Having it later brings up issues for people traveling home especially north.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 220

generic

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 05:53:25 PM »

4. I'm guessing Arkansas weather first two weeks of Sept. for the most part not significantly different than Aug. weather anyway. Second half of Sept. in Arkansas should be less chance of excessive heat with temperatures similar to last year in Wisconsin unlikely before November and I thought the crisp morning riding there ideal once the rain stopped. I don't know whether the later date would affect those with school age children or with jobs.

On the other hand planning for 2019 is near the extreme side of optimistic and not far from miracle expectations for me, 2018 ain't a cinch.

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
klaviator
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Yamaha Smax, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 44

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:14:48 PM »

There already is a scooter rally in Arkansas every September called scooting the Ozarks.  I went a few years ago and it was pretty hot but bearable.  You could always use that for the annual gathering.

Info on that rally:  http://scoottheozarks.proboards.com/

I ride, therefore I am
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 08:07:41 PM »

I hate to be negative toward that rally but they do not ride like we do..... Iíve been to that rally and they are super people.  

Besides our rally is slightly differing than other ralllies, hard to explain but it just is.
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: '18 Yamaha Xmax 300, '14 Vespa 946, '81 Vespa P200e

Thank You
-Given: 86
-Receive: 49

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 10:40:38 PM »

How many attendees come every year?

Eric

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 11:42:38 PM »

We have been as high as 46 and low as 30ish
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 80

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 12:20:26 AM »

Looking at past Rallies the 17th is right in the range of a couple of them.  I would choose Option 4.  Where in Arkansas are you thinking?  Maybe we can do Lake George or somewhere in NY State in 2020. 

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 01:02:51 AM »

Cathy I would make around Jasper area the staying place.  Launch off from there to so many roads itís not even funny. 
Steve_YYZ
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 57
-Receive: 42

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 02:41:06 AM »

Well, I'm unable to get July or August vacation time about 99% of the time.
So options 2 and 3 are out for me.

Distance wise, AK is doable with 3 hard days of riding to get there.
The weather..... well it's the weather. My crystal ball is a little cloudy that far out.

Steve
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 27
-Receive: 80

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 03:10:32 AM »

Cathy I would make around Jasper area the staying place.  Launch off from there to so many roads it’s not even funny. 

Maggie that sounds good to me.  I like that area of AR. 602 miles from me according to google maps.  I was down there in 2011 with Scooting the Ozarks group. 1st full season of riding.  And then went through there in 2013 on my way to TX.  I have a little more experience riding since then.  Bring it on. I do enjoy riding and hanging out with you all.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 89

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 04:21:30 AM »

Why would it have to be Arkansas if a little later in September? The weather is usually great mid-September in that part of New York and it's just a little early for the leaf peeper invasion.  I'm good with whatever, though. It just wouldn't be the same without Pete and Maggie. The last time we did Mo-Ar, it was a little over 1000 miles for me. Took a day and a half to get there, but the roads (and the people I met) were well worth it! Good thing I ran into Lou (Silverbullet) at a stop sign....I had no clue where I was going!

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 05:11:41 AM »

We could manage to get home from the 21 day trip and get to Arkansas easier than to NY to be honest.    But it isnít about accommodating Pete and I.

Like I said you guys should talk about doing a rally as well.   All you need is google to plan it all :-)

Another location I always thought would be cool was Ohio SE of Columbus along the Ohio River. 
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 03:22:52 PM »

... snipped ... Why would it have to be Arkansas if a little later in September? The weather is usually great mid-September in that part of New York and it's just a little early for the leaf peeper invasion.

Agree.  September weather at these latitudes (NY, ON etc.) are really ideal for riding and relaxing around a fire at night.  Plus the chitlins are back in school so less commotion there.  The only wild card is rain which you can get pretty much anywhere at any time.  I'm for a later date in NY if that could work for everyone.   Arkansas is fine too ... some great riding roads there like the Pig Trail etc.

What is very difficult for us to imagine is not having a combined riding/camping adventure to look forward to in the Fall.  Not seeing, riding and socializing with everyone (especially Maggie and Pete) would be very strange and sad indeed.  
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »

Make Lake George the destination and if Pete and I can go we will go.   We will be trailering versus riding so perhaps itís doable.  

Iím hoping we will return from Europe by September 5-9.  Still trying to plan it around the Highland games in Brenmar.  

We obviously have time to figure this out collectively.  Nothing has to be decided really till end of this year.  I just want you all to be aware and have a say in the matter.

I should be able to firm up our Europe trip by the end of the year.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »

Pete and I keep talking about the dates and if pushing Lake George back a week next year to around the week of the 16th, it appears we can make that work.
jpowell692
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 10

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 12:06:28 AM »

Let me know and I'll be there sun or shine but not sure about snow.

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 220

generic

Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 04:54:47 AM »

Last time we went northeast I had to buy a vehicle to get my stuff back home. It's getting a bit long of tooth so maybe I'll return it to the North and have to find another to fetch me home. New York is good a place as any or how about "Rally Europe" the usual week.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »

I'd prefer not to run in the Labor(Labour) Day traffic, no matter where we go!
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »

Thanks for the spelling options neighbour (neighbor). ... lol 

Don't we usually have the Rally the week following Labo(u)r Day weekend?  In past years, we've found most of the holiday traffic is gone and its been pretty clear driving. 

FYI - Given Maggie and Pete's plans, I thought I'd Google the best riding roads in Europe to see what popped up.  Boy would I love to tour some of those roads.  That would be spectacular.  However, I suspect the cost to rent a moto for a couple of weeks would be very high indeed.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »

We plan to rent scooter somewhere on this trip just not sure where yet.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 07:18:37 PM »

Regarding this year you can come stay with us at Pete's sister in Nashville before going to Alabama if you want.  We plan to get there Saturday and leave Tuesday morning.  We will ride to Alabama via the Trace.  She has a HUGE house and basement suite.  So come early!  We can go kayaking on the Harpeth ;) 
Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 11:17:19 PM »

AR late Sept would be awesome. Based on experience, don't stay at Marble Falls heritage hotel. Used to be called The hub. Stayed there over Memorial Day. Lots and lots of problems. Room ok, but wouldn't stay there again. I would suggest Harrison. Lots of hotels and such.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 03:00:16 AM »

Regarding this year you can come stay with us at Pete's sister in Nashville before going to Alabama if you want.  We plan to get there Saturday and leave Tuesday morning.  We will ride to Alabama via the Trace.  She has a HUGE house and basement suite.  So come early!  We can go kayaking on the Harpeth ;)  
 I may take you up on that! Last year, heading to Wisconsin, wasn't too bad bad except for Indiana/Illinois. I got stuck quite a few times in traffic that didn't move and lost a couple of hours.
 Traveling on that Sunday & Monday is the pits, but worth it.
 I'm going to bring some throw away clothes and a small shovel. I want to go digging for diamonds afterwards!
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 57

Email
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 03:51:49 AM »

https://www.harrisonarkansas.org/c_upe_view.php?id=42
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 380
-Receive: 195

Email
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 05:25:35 AM »

What ever is decided is all good here. We'll just work around it cause its all good. See you all in the Fall!!

I don't think Diane can get off of work this year for the rally so Brian & I may ride down to it.

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 01:49:39 PM »

Regarding this year you can come stay with us at Pete's sister in Nashville before going to Alabama if you want.  We plan to get there Saturday and leave Tuesday morning.  We will ride to Alabama via the Trace.  She has a HUGE house and basement suite.  So come early!  We can go kayaking on the Harpeth ;) 
  I may take you up on that! Last year, heading to Wisconsin, wasn't too bad bad except for Indiana/Illinois. I got stuck quite a few times in traffic that didn't move and lost a couple of hours.
 Traveling on that Sunday & Monday is the pits, but worth it.
 I'm going to bring some throw away clothes and a small shovel. I want to go digging for diamonds afterwards!

I bet Goosepond has a washer and dry and with us going back to Nashville to take Karen home I know she does.  So we can do laundry before the Arkansas part. 

How many days you want to ride in Arkansas?  I was thinking we would leave Karen's that Monday and ride towards the diamond digging place, do that on Tuesday and they start moving towards, Mt Magazine, etc etc ...
dogboy
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2009 Genuine Buddy 125 (Boo Boo), 2013 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS (Ingrid)

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 04:47:15 AM »

I hate to be negative toward that rally but they do not ride like we do..... I’ve been to that rally and they are super people. 

Besides our rally is slightly differing than other ralllies, hard to explain but it just is.

Is there a tactful way you can describe what you mean by "they do not ride like we do?"  I have considered that rally as well, but know little about it, and would appreciate your thoughts.

Born to be mild.
klaviator
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Yamaha Smax, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 44

Email
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 09:22:50 AM »

I hate to be negative toward that rally but they do not ride like we do..... I’ve been to that rally and they are super people. 

Is there a tactful way you can describe what you mean by "they do not ride like we do?"  I have considered that rally as well, but know little about it, and would appreciate your thoughts.

I have only been to one Scooter rally ever and that was Scooting the Ozarks in 2013.  I thought the rally was similar to the many HSTA rallies I had gone to over the years except that the pace of the riding was not as "sporty".  I enjoyed the rally and hope to make it back again one of these years.  I did a ride report for this rally:  https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/scooting-the-ozarks.921267/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: