June 20, 2018, 06:03:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoky Mountain/Deals Gap ride June 24-30 2018  (Read 561 times)
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 53

Email
« on: June 04, 2018, 02:50:50 PM »

Darwin and I will be going to the Smoky Mountains June 24-30 if anyone wants to join us.
We're staying in Maggie Valley NC. Darwin is 83 now, so we'll be riding Monday Wednesday and Friday unless the weather dictates differently.
We'll be riding all the great roads, Deal's Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway, and lots of other roads you haven't heard of.
We ride pretty brisk in case you haven't heard. 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 301
-Receive: 703

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 02:59:25 PM »

Have a great time!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Yamaha Smax, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 25

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:17:18 PM »

I'm planning on riding that area around those dates.  I have no definite plans yet but will probably stay at Blue ridge Cycle camp for 2 or three nights.  That's about 30-40 minutes from Maggie Valley.  Maybe we can meet up.  I'll make more definite plans as the time gets closer but I'm on vacation for the last week in June and plan on riding.

I ride, therefore I am
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 107
-Receive: 176

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »

Now I'm checking my calendar again. Originally intended to complete relocation to my place not far from there on the weekend of June 23/24, but recently pushed it back to June 30/July 1.

Not sure if this can work, but I'd like to re-re-schedule and see if I can be there at the same time as you.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 03:53:55 AM »

I'm planning on riding that area around those dates.  I have no definite plans yet but will probably stay at Blue ridge Cycle camp for 2 or three nights.  That's about 30-40 minutes from Maggie Valley.  Maybe we can meet up.  I'll make more definite plans as the time gets closer but I'm on vacation for the last week in June and plan on riding.

If you still have the Versys, I'd being that one.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Yamaha Smax, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:42:22 PM »

I'm planning on riding that area around those dates.  I have no definite plans yet but will probably stay at Blue ridge Cycle camp for 2 or three nights.  That's about 30-40 minutes from Maggie Valley.  Maybe we can meet up.  I'll make more definite plans as the time gets closer but I'm on vacation for the last week in June and plan on riding.

If you still have the Versys, I'd being that one.

Most likely I'll bring my Majesty but I haven't ruled out my Smax or Versys.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 84

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »

I'd love riding with you and Darwin on those roads. I have a town board meeting the 25th and a wedding celebration in Mi. on the 30th, but I'll try hard to join you for a bit.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 05:37:05 AM »

I don't know if you've ever been to the Smoky Mountains, but there are a lot of big hills.
The Smax would be an unacceptable match with our Tmaxes. We just don't ride that slow, plus sometimes you have to make passes in double yellow areas, which a 150 is completely incapable of.
I owned a Majesty and while it would be a much better choice than the Smax, it is still lacking in handling and horsepower.
Trust me, in that area you definitely want the Versys.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 05:38:11 AM »

I'd love riding with you and Darwin on those roads. I have a town board meeting the 25th and a wedding celebration in Mi. on the 30th, but I'll try hard to join you for a bit.

I hope you can make it, Bruce.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 01:28:06 PM »

I don't know if you've ever been to the Smoky Mountains, but there are a lot of big hills.
The Smax would be an unacceptable match with our Tmaxes. We just don't ride that slow, plus sometimes you have to make passes in double yellow areas, which a 150 is completely incapable of.
I owned a Majesty and while it would be a much better choice than the Smax, it is still lacking in handling and horsepower.
Trust me, in that area you definitely want the Versys.

Been riding that area since 1990.  I know the roads better than many of the locals.  I did a 5 day tour in that area last year on my Super 8 150.  I have also ridden my Aprilia Sport City 250, Majesty and Smax in those mountains.  Yes the Versys is much faster but even on the Super 8 I was getting stuck behind traffic much more than I was holding it up.  You are correct about one thing and that is the lack of passing power on the smaller bikes.

One reason I am leaning towards the scooters is that I end up going way to fast on the Versys.  I was planning on doing a lot of exploring and  taking a lot of pictures.  That just seems more fun on the scooters than the Versys which is really a sportbike in disguise.

As for the Smax vs the Majesty, I think the Smax might actually be faster in the curves than the Majesty.  It also seems to accelerate better at speeds below about 40 but That might just be my perception.  

I haven't decided yet and I'll need to put a new front tire on the Versys if I decide on taking it.

Here's my ride report from a trip last year:  https://www.motorcyclealabama.com/rides/index.php?topic=1786.0
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 84

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 02:25:00 PM »

Klaviator- When Mark and Darwin say the riding will be 'pretty brisk', what they really mean to say is "racing at just below MotoGP speeds"! Not crazy reckless, but way faster than normal mortals. If I can make it, it will be on my darksided Majesty. I know I probably will have a hard time keeping them in sight, I'll catch up when they stop, and it's fun and challenging nonetheless.
At our rallys, Mark will usually lead the small "fast group" tour-until Darwin gets bored with the pace!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 301
-Receive: 703

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 04:44:43 PM »

When we ride with Mark and Darwin in the Smokys we just plan to see them when we get somewhere.  I do not have the skill set or the balls to pass on twisty roads like they do.   Also they go to the Smokys to ride not see things. 

klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 08:50:34 PM »

I was a pretty hard core sportbike rider for a long time.  I would often lead the rides and only a few if any could stay with me if I was pushing it.  I have slowed down in my old age but still ride faster than most of the people I ride with.  Generally I ride slower by myself than with a group.  When I planned on doing this ride I was planning on mostly being by myself so I was leaning towards riding a scooter.  I'll think about this and maybe I'll ride the Versys.  It's been a while since I did much real sport riding.  I'll order a new front tire for the Versys when I get back home next week just in case I decide to take it.

Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 8

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 11:24:44 PM »

Have a good trip. I'll ride vicariously through you. Will need lots of pics and ride reports.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 12:27:40 AM »

There is road repaving on the BRP.  I don't know what part will be affected the last week in June but I'll research it as the date gets closer.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 03:57:58 AM »

There is road repaving on the BRP.  I don't know what part will be affected the last week in June but I'll research it as the date gets closer.

Hopefully it's not too severe. The Parkway is my favorite ride.

I was a pretty hard core sportbike rider for a long time.  I would often lead the rides and only a few if any could stay with me if I was pushing it.  I have slowed down in my old age but still ride faster than most of the people I ride with.  Generally I ride slower by myself than with a group.  When I planned on doing this ride I was planning on mostly being by myself so I was leaning towards riding a scooter.  I'll think about this and maybe I'll ride the Versys.  It's been a while since I did much real sport riding.  I'll order a new front tire for the Versys when I get back home next week just in case I decide to take it.

For safety reasons The Versys is a better choice. I had a Majesty and I pushed the front end hard a number of times.
That's when I got a 650 Burgman and later a Tmax. The Burgman was a big improvement, but the Tmax handles as good as any shifty motorcycle I've ever owned.
We do a lot of double yellow passing down there also or else you'd spend all day going 30mph behind a bunch of people who should be nowhere near these roads. The extra HP on the Versys will be a big plus for this.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 03:59:12 AM »

At our rallys, Mark will usually lead the small "fast group" tour-until Darwin gets bored with the pace!

That's the truth. 83 and he's still the fastest guy I know.
jpowell692
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 9

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:45 PM »

I'll be there between the 17th and 23rd of June with my ex son-inlaw. He and a group of his shifty friends fron centeral Ill will be in Pigeon Forge for the week and I'm going over to ride with them for 2-3 days.

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 08:38:22 PM »

If anyone's joining us, here's where we're staying.
https://www.expedia.com/Cherokee-Hotels-Comfort-Inn-Maggie-Valley.h24580.Hotel-Information?langid=1033&emlcid=PT-ETM-ENSPC-teid1.40462-issu2-testX-lang1033-verX-mcidX-segaX-segbX-segmX-key93403643446-paid-date20180617000000-link-wave0
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 10:31:08 PM »

Here's my plans:

I'm riding up to Deal's Gap from Huntsville on Sat 23rd and camping at Deal's Gap or Iron Horse Sat night.  I'll meet some friends at the Gap Sun. morning then heading over to Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in the afternoon.  I'll stay there Sun & Mon nights.  I could join you guys for a ride on Monday. I'll probably be on my Versys and will have another friend along on a V strom 650.  He has never owned a scooter and I'm trying to get him to see the light. 

Tuesday we'll be heading further into NC and will probably stay near Little Switzerland for a couple of nights.  After that my plans are still TBD.  I'm not heading back home until Sat or Sunday.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 04:14:54 PM »

We'll be riding 3 days. Blue Ridge one day, Deals Gap/Cherohala Skyway one day, and a bunch of southern Twisties one day, doesn't matter what order. Which ride do you want to join us on?
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 05:37:33 PM »

We'll be riding 3 days. Blue Ridge one day, Deals Gap/Cherohala Skyway one day, and a bunch of southern Twisties one day, doesn't matter what order. Which ride do you want to join us on?

How about bunch of southern twisties.  I'll be real surprised if you take me on any roads I haven't been on before but that's OK, they're all good.  I'm doing Deal's Gap/Skyway on the way there.  

BTW, I just found out they are having the Fiddies 4 Life races at Deal's Gap Saturday night.  It's pretty cool watching grown men race around on tiny SuperMoto bikes.  https://www.fiddies4life.com/
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #22 on: Today at 01:34:06 AM »

BTW, I just found out they are having the Fiddies 4 Life races at Deal's Gap Saturday night.  It's pretty cool watching grown men race around on tiny SuperMoto bikes.  https://www.fiddies4life.com/

That sounds entertaining but we're heading back Saturday morning. The southern route brings us into Highlands from the south. We actually dip into Georgia and Alabama. Where we gonna meet up and what time?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: