June 20, 2018, 06:03:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wandering around Northern Ohio  (Read 342 times)
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Yamaha Smax, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 25

Email
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »

I am up visiting my parents in the Eastern Cleveland suburbs.  This is not really a riding vacation as I brought along my wife and dog.  Last time I did this I didn't bring a bike and had a severe case of PMS.  I normally ride almost every day so 8 days without riding would be torture.  So this time I brought my Kymco Super 8 150.  I brought my smallest bike because the speed limits around here are really low and speed enforcement really high.  

I got out for an hour or two in the morning and rode out to Gates Mills.

I ride, therefore I am
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Yamaha Smax, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »

We had a storm pass through in the afternoon that cleared the air and dropped the temperatures into the 60s.  Perfect for another ride.

The rivers were really swollen from the rain.

Historic temple in Kirtland.

Eventually all these rusty old bridges will be replaced but I think they are cool and will be sad to see them go.

I probably only rode about 70 miles for the day.  During that time I never got on a road with a speed limit over 40 MPH and saw a bunch of cops.  I was glad I brought my Super 8.  It's much easier to keep near the speed limits than my bigger bikes.

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 301
-Receive: 703

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:36:06 PM »

Nice shots.  The the thing I miss about my small scoot is just meandering.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 107
-Receive: 176

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »

Agreed, very nice shots. Rivers, waterfalls and other 'flowing water' shots are particularly appealing to me. You're right about the bridges, too. Although their replacements have their advantages, I miss some of the older style steel bridges.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Receive: 22

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 03:11:54 PM »

A shot of a scooter adds excitement and power to an image. There's an implied narrative - where is the rider going, where are they, and what's the story behind their trip? Take the scooter/bike out and it's a landscape image but one lacking a Human context.

Every bike tells a story.

Great pictures and thanks for posting.

- Wolf
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 8
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »

The Kirtland Temple is very familiar to me. I typically head east on Rt 615 from the bottom of the hill rather than continuing south on Rt 306. Lots of great riding in the southern portion of Lake and northern portion of Geauga counties. This area has what counts for hills and twisties in northeast Ohio. And the homes of many of our wealthy residence.

CelticCross
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 12:43:33 AM »

The Kirtland Temple is very familiar to me. I typically head east on Rt 615 from the bottom of the hill rather than continuing south on Rt 306. Lots of great riding in the southern portion of Lake and northern portion of Geauga counties. This area has what counts for hills and twisties in northeast Ohio. And the homes of many of our wealthy residence.

I did follow 615 a ways and explore a few side roads but it was getting late and I headed back to my parents place in Willoughby Hills.
Virginian
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: '18 Yamaha Xmax 300, '14 Vespa 946, '17 Yamaha FZ-10

Thank You
-Given: 66
-Receive: 36

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 01:17:37 AM »

Great pictures and thanks for sharing!

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 01:36:16 PM »

I'm a sport bike rider at heart and normally when I go for a ride I like to get out of town, away from traffic and find curvy roads and nice scenery.  Yesterday I did something different.  I wanted to go visit Cleveland Moto which is on the west side of Cleveland.  My parents live on the east side.  Normally I'd just take the Interstate to get there.  That wasn't a good option which my Super 8 and I didn't want to take the cage.  So I came up with a route right through the center of Cleveland.  

I was still in the eastern suburbs when I saw something I hadn't seen in many years and I had totally forgotten even existed.  I quickly grabbed my camera which I had hanging around my neck and snapped a picture.

You can't really see what I was trying to capture but here's another pic.  See anything unusual?  Depending on where you live you might not notice anything.

klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »

While everyone is trying to figure out my first post I'll continue on.  This was straight line riding with very low speed limits and one traffic light after the other.  It wasn't exciting riding but the scenery was very interesting.  Cleveland is mostly very old.  What would be considered the historic district in  most Southern towns is pretty much the norm here.  It's been a long time since I really went into these old parts of Cleveland so I found it very interesting and I managed to take some pics on the go.

This next pic reminds me of a scene from Lord of the Rings when they are going down the river and see the two giant statues.

klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 01:53:36 PM »

Now I was on the west side of Cleveland.

my destination.

So why did I want to come here?

Because we have nothing like this in or near Huntsville.

An actual scooter shop.  Not a motorcycle shop with one or two scooters somewhere on the floor.

klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 02:12:51 PM »

One of the scooters I really wanted to check out was the Kymco Like 150i.  I had seen one at the Barber Vintage Festival last year but I wanted to see it again.  Luckily they had three of them on the floor.

When I sat one the one at barber it seemed really cramped.  This time it felt a lot better.  Maybe I have shrunk since last year???

I talked to the owner of the shop for a while.  He told me had had been riding one of these scooters and was really impressed.  He checked the Speedometer against GPS and found it to be dead accurate.  He said he had seen a top speed of 71 MPH.  That's nearly as fast as the Smax and probably better than any other 150cc scooter.  If I didn't already have 2 small scooters I'd be real tempted to buy one of these.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 02:38:53 PM »

This place had a lot of interesting stuff.

Anyone looking for a nice BV500?

I forget the mileage on this scooter but I think it was under 5,000.

400 2 smoke.

That's the owner behind the Vespa.  We talked for while he was assembling the Vespa.  Notice the racks full of Givi boxes in the background

They had some riding gear aimed at scooter riders.  

CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 06:41:12 PM »

The new shop is so much nicer than the old ones (East and West). I need to get out there this year - probably with a round trip through the Cultural Gardens on the way.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 12:05:44 AM »

The new shop is so much nicer than the old ones (East and West). I need to get out there this year - probably with a round trip through the Cultural Gardens on the way.

I was under the impression that they had been in this shop for a long time.  The owner said they owned the building.  I thought he said they had been in it for a long time but my memory could be faulty on that.  I visited the east side shop a few years ago and thought it was pretty nice.  

A few random things from my conversation with the owner.   They sell Moto Guzzi, Zero, Vespa, Piaggio, Kymco and Genuine.  Maybe Royal Enfield but I'm not sure about that.  The also had used bikes of various brands.  He said scooter sales were pretty good and the sell 4 or 5 scooters for every motorcycle.  Motorcycle clothing sales have really dropped over the last 5 years or so as more people just buy it online.  Personally I prefer to buy anything I will wear from a dealer but since they don't stock much sometimes I buy it online. 

Anyway, cool place.  If I lived here I'm sure I'd be buying some bikes from them over the years. 
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 12:21:35 AM »

Time to head back.  I took  a lightly different route back and got some more pics.

That's the Goodyear Blimp near the top of the next pic.

Tour bus on the left.

interesting bike.

Before I went on this ride I was a little worried about going through some pretty bad parts of town.  It turned out to be a really interesting ride even though the riding itself was pretty boring.  A small scooter is perfect for this kind of ride.  The speed was almost always 25-35 MPH.  I did find out from the Cleveland moto owner that technically my Kymco is legal on the interstate highways in Ohio but I would have missed seeing all the interesting historical stuff.  I also would have had to run full throttle for 20 minutes or more and still be going slower than traffic. 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 01:17:44 AM »

I love seeing things like you do.  I don't enjoy riding just to ride anymore.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 12:51:34 PM »

I love seeing things like you do.  I don't enjoy riding just to ride anymore.

I still enjoy riding just to ride but I also enjoy combining riding with other things like exploring and photography.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »

It was our last day in Ohio before we would have to head back home.  I went for one last ride.  I headed out to the town of Chagrin Falls.  It's a nice ride but the roads in Ohio tend to be in really bad condiition.

This road is a bit rough but looks really cool.

I used to drive out to Chagrin Falls regularly because I worked in a paper mill on the edge of town.  This is all that's left of the paper mill.

Then I rode back into town and found a place to park.  This place is just a small town but it's real busy even on midday Friday.  There are a lot of people with money here as I saw number of porches and even one guy in an old Rolls Royce.

This town does have one main tourist attraction.

Another shot from a different angle.

klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »

I wandered around town a bit.  It looked like they were setting up for some kind of event this weekend.

Probably my favorite tourist attraction in town is the ice cream shop.  I didn't get any ice cream this time but did get a pic.

Then I headed back.  This was along the way so I stopped for a pic.  It made me wonder what it would be like to play scooter Polo

Did I mention the roads here are in really crappy condition?

At least the scenery is nice.

That's it for this trip.  I'm headed back home today.  I'll have to work for 2 weeks then it will be time for a week long riding vacation.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 02:38:24 PM »

Pretty area! Those roads do look rough.  Thanks for sharing!
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 26
-Receive: 51

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 08:40:36 PM »

I was still in the eastern suburbs when I saw something I hadn't seen in many years and I had totally forgotten even existed.  I quickly grabbed my camera which I had hanging around my neck and snapped a picture.

You can't really see what I was trying to capture but here's another pic.  See anything unusual?  Depending on where you live you might not notice anything.

What were we suppose to see?  I’m curious.

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 08:52:22 PM »

And yes, Many of the streets here are crap - especially in urban areas. But when you can find a smooth one, it is a joy to ride.
Silver
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 219
-Receive: 14

Email
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »

Very nice photos. Thank you for sharing with all of us.

Ride Often !
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 05:45:02 AM »

I was still in the eastern suburbs when I saw something I hadn't seen in many years and I had totally forgotten even existed.  I quickly grabbed my camera which I had hanging around my neck and snapped a picture.

You can't really see what I was trying to capture but here's another pic.  See anything unusual?  Depending on where you live you might not notice anything.

What were we suppose to see?  I’m curious.

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

It's not so much what you see but what you don't.   No mailboxes.  I was riding along and saw a mail carrier walking from house to house with a mail bag.  I snapped the first picture trying to get the mail man but either I missed him or he's in a shadow.  The second pic was to reinforce the lack of mail boxes on the street.  I grew up in a neighborhood where the mailman walked house to house but hadn't seen that in many years.
Virginian
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: '18 Yamaha Xmax 300, '14 Vespa 946, '17 Yamaha FZ-10

Thank You
-Given: 66
-Receive: 36

Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 06:19:33 AM »

Quality stuff Klaviator as always! You set the bar on pics and narrative.

Eric
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 218
-Receive: 355

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 02:40:12 AM »

Great photos and quite an adventure.  I really liked that scooter shop, what a nice variety of bikes and gear.  Thanks for sharing.

Practicing Normite.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 26
-Receive: 51

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 04:51:48 AM »

Ok.  Always lived in Chicago. Mail gets delivered to the front door.
klaviator
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2018, 01:05:38 PM »

Ok.  Always lived in Chicago. Mail gets delivered to the front door.

I haven't lived anywhere where mail got delivered to the front door since 1976 when I still lived in Cleveland.  I mentioned this to a co-worker who lives in Decatur, Al which is about 20 miles from where I live and he also gets it delivered to the front porch. 
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 84

Email
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 03:28:19 PM »

Klav- years (and years) ago, we used to play polo on our motorcycles in the winter. A dealer we frequented in WNY had a big, flat field that would be flooded and freeze. It was like a gigantic skating rink. We had quite a group that would gather on Sundays to play on our 'scramblers'. It was great fun until I hooked a crack in the ice while sliding sideways and broke my helmet when I hit head first. A trip to the E.R. and a night in the hospital, but it did get me a week out of school, so it was all good!

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: