June 20, 2018, 05:59:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Belt! Looking for opinions!  (Read 157 times)
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 84

Email
« on: June 02, 2018, 02:05:58 PM »

After researching parts, I'm a believer in using an O.E.M. belt for the Majesty. I replaced my original at 25K miles and it was still in spec, being at least eight years old. It was replaced with another O.E.M.belt. Yesterday, after doing the oil and filter change, I decided to do a check on the rollers and clutch. While everything else checked out all right, the belt had  partially delaminated and there were four chunks of cogs-each about an inch long-laying in the bottom of the cover. When I inspected the belt, there was a section about four inches long that they had come from, on the top of the belt. I saw no other problems with the belt, no cracks, etc., but it had 10K miles. I have never heard of a factory belt going that few miles, even though the manual calls for the change at 12K miles, and haven't heard of the belt looking like this on any other Majesty. If I'm only going to 10K miles or so, I'll quit spending $100+ or so, and get generic replacements for about $35! What would cause this? (the belt issue-not me wanting to be cheap! )

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
Silver
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 219
-Receive: 14

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 02:57:08 PM »

Your belt definitely should not be shedding cogs at  that young age. In my opinion either the belt was just faulty from the factory (it happens) or was old stock and had "dried out" to some degree. You could not have caused the cogs to fly off of your belt normally despite your riding technique. Better luck in the future.

Ride Often !
Clampett
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 28 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 34
-Receive: 49

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »

We can only guess here, but my first guess would be that the new belt wasn't mounted correctly. I've seen DIY guys replace the belt and torque it without turning the belt/drive as it is being torqued. I've seen roadside replacements where the torque is guessed and belt damaged as a result, but it did get them back home to do proper fitting on a new replacement. Sometimes something gets into the drive and you don't see it. Could something have damaged the drive face during the replacement?

And the answer is NO, I'm no expert. I'm just tossing these out as questions from seeing others and watching videos which just present questions. Not really resolving your question.

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 301
-Receive: 703

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 08:29:20 PM »

Give me a call, Bruce when you have time regarding this.... Pete and I had a similar situation.  After some legal strong arming the belt company saw the errors of their way.  I just need more info from you.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
TM1(SS)
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2013 Vespa GTS300ie Super, BMW K1600GTL

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 20

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 08:34:25 PM »

I think the most likely scenario is a belt that had spent many years sitting in a warehouse, Like shops selling ten year old tires or fifteen year old hoses.

Better to scoot through a tornado than be at work!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 301
-Receive: 703

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 09:42:16 PM »

Exactly

I think the most likely scenario is a belt that had spent many years sitting in a warehouse, Like shops selling ten year old tires or fifteen year old hoses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: