December 15, 2018, 01:27:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I Did it Again  (Read 1131 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 361

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: May 29, 2018, 11:20:27 PM »

Well this is weird.  I had just purchased that funky AGV Elements helmet a few days ago and before it even arrived I just purchased another helmet.  I actually purchased a pair of close-out summer gloves for $25 and in order to get free shipping I needed to spend another $70ish dollars.  Just so happened motorcyclegear.com had an AFX helmet that I've been eyeing up on sale so I added it to the basket.  Here is my other new helmet.

I'm a little concerned about safety as it's really, really cheap but it is both DOT (which doesn't have a lot of cred) and ECE (much more cred) rated.

Oh, here are the gloves if you're curious.

Practicing Normite.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 11:21:40 PM »

Don't be surprised if you see me post about a new jacket anytime soon!  :D 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 316
-Receive: 774

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:11 PM »

Like that one as well

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:34:49 PM »

Like that one as well

I like it too, just hope it's not too cheap... I'm mean in quality, it's obviously not expensive.
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 294
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »

There are many "less expensive" helmets out there that are actually very good helmets. You do not have to purchase a high dollar helmet unless you just want a high dollar helmet to start with. Some of us feel the need to "Keep up with the neighbors" and feel the need to buy the latest and greatest of things.......and some of us do not. I have used less expensive helmets and I have used the high dollar helmets through the years and I've gone down several times on pavement. In most cases when a rider falls that big old head is going to pop the road to some degree or another so a helmet is a great way to go on living but the amount of money spent on the helmet does not dictate life or death for the outcome. Less expensive or not........just wear a helmet.
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 8

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »

I always go Shoei, but that's just because they are the best fit for my melon.  I'd use a less expensive brand if they fit as well.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:07 PM »

There are many "less expensive" helmets out there that are actually very good helmets. You do not have to purchase a high dollar helmet unless you just want a high dollar helmet to start with. Less expensive or not........just wear a helmet.

Absolutely, a decent helmet does not have to be extremely expensive.  You can get a good lid from a respected manufacturer for $150 and maybe cheaper if you find a sale or close-out.  My concern is with AFX, I did a bit of researching before buying and found out that it is an American company that manufacturers it's lids in Taiwan.  Speaking with a rep at motorcyclegear.com, he told me that often AFX sells their helmets at a loss, doesn't know how they stay in business.  I'll check the quality when it gets here and then decide whether to keep it or not.  Hoping for a pleasant surprise.

And since we are on the subject, here is a great video of a respected helmet manufacturer, Scorpion vs an unknown Chinese builder, AHP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBnioxhXkFA

I always go Shoei, but that's just because they are the best fit for my melon.  I'd use a less expensive brand if they fit as well.

I really like Shoei and they fit me well too, especially the RF series.  I also had great luck with Icon, if you are similar to me you may want to give that a try.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 06:17:57 PM »

I can't wear Icon at all, the shape just doesn't agree with me.  Scorpion helmets are generally a good buy for the money, that HJC CL-17 was only about $125.00 and it is a good helmet.  I've owned two Shoei helmets, a Quest and a GT-Air.  Neither was that good for me.  I gave the Quest away to an MSF instructor in Central Illinois for his students and the GT-Air sits on a shelf rarely getting worn.  I've had Shark which was a fine helmet and worked great for me, but priced like Shoei.  I had an Arai Defiant that I wasn't that in love with (the eyelash vent is goofy).

I've come to the conclusion that the main differences between expensive and cheap helmets are the comfort of the liner, little gadgets and maybe looks. That the most important issue in helmet buying is the fit.  I still highly recommend that video of Jay Leno and the Arai factory representative discussing helmets.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 06:48:06 PM »

I can't wear Icon at all, the shape just doesn't agree with me.  Scorpion helmets are generally a good buy for the money, that HJC CL-17 was only about $125.00 and it is a good helmet.  I've owned two Shoei helmets, a Quest and a GT-Air.  Neither was that good for me.

I've come to the conclusion that the main differences between expensive and cheap helmets are the comfort of the liner, little gadgets and maybe looks. That the most important issue in helmet buying is the fit.  I still highly recommend that video of Jay Leno and the Arai factory representative discussing helmets.

I think we have opposite shaped heads.  Redeye sold me a Scorpion helmet a few years ago that I absolutely loved the design.  I couldn't wear it ten minutes without getting an extreme headache, by far the worst fitting helmet I ever owned.  Of course, as I wrote before, Icon and Shoei fit me quite well.  I can add that AGV works too.

I have to disagree with your conclusion about helmet quality.  Expensive helmets have a lot of differences with cheaper helmets.  In addition to the liner and paint job you get wind tunnel tested designs, carbon fiber or fiberglass shells decrease overall weight, dual density foam, optically correct shields, generally quieter, smarter venting channels and ports.  What's nice is a lot of the tech that goes into newer helmets makes it's way down in some cases.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 06:58:29 AM »

Dan, the funny thing is that I've gone both ways (very expensive and cheap).  I do agree that weight of shell and material very and make difference and that an expensive helmet can just feel better, but crash data seems to indicate that any helmet which fits properly and is ECE approved is going toffer pretty much equal protection to any other helmet with the same approval.  I have a Schuberth S2 helmet which is one of the most expensive helmets made.  I bought it from a dealer that had ones on closeout for about $300.00 (1/2 price).  I'd agree that it's the most comfortable and quiet helmet that I've ever used.  I did have a love affair with that helmet, then on a trip to St Louis in the spring I dropped it off the handlebar of the FJR and the mechanism holding one side of the face shield broke and the face shield itself was pretty scratched already.  So I bit the bullet recently and bought the piece and a new face shield from Schuberth.  Now I'm glad I did because it did put the helmet back to near new and it's become my go to again.

On the other hand the Shoei helmets that I've had and the Arai helmet that I had kind of all sucked for me.  The thing you said about head shape and helmets is just true.  Each person's head is a little differently shaped and that just makes some helmets more comfortable and better fitting for them then others.  BTW if you want a cool looking helmet that doesn't break the bank take a look at the HJC CL-17.  I bought one in St Louis when I broke the shield on my Schuberth and found that it was the best $125.00 helmet I ever saw.  Plus they make it in many different artistic designs.  You can get a super hero model with Captain America or other unusual graphics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: