June 05, 2020, 12:02:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginian's Meanderings  (Read 28688 times)
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 28
-Receive: 166

« Reply #480 on: March 21, 2020, 01:41:21 AM »

I would take it to a local muffler shop and have it welded. Might cost $50.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 148

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #481 on: March 21, 2020, 02:16:07 AM »

The play sucked.  Joan’s idea may be an option.  I think I would get an after market if it looks good on the Scoot and do the work myself (Bob that is) . 

On the earlier subject th  ride you took with your friend looked very nice.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 275
-Receive: 87

Email
« Reply #482 on: March 22, 2020, 11:41:03 PM »

Oddly enough, someone totaled the exact year of my 946 up in Canada and there's parts all listed on ebay, plus a muffler for $297.50 + $40.00 shipping. This muffler looks pretty beat up so I'll pass.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-17-Vespa-946-Bellissima-Exhaust-Pipe-Muffler-Slip-On-Can-Silencer-1a0076655/324099239852?fits=Model%3A946%7CMake%3AVespa&hash=item4b75d1efac:g:fKEAAOSw3TNeZ~wz

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #483 on: March 24, 2020, 10:10:55 PM »

I was thinking of making an offer of $100 plus $40 shipping to the seller. I'm sure it will be denied but you have to knock to see if somebody's home. The seller states that the wrecked scoot had 6731 Km/4,182 miles on that muffler.

The seller on fleabay got back to me with just a straight decline which means they were most likely insulted. So this option is a no go.

So I'm assembling Bella back together to get it off the rack with the new tire installed.

On the center cap there's 3 thick rubber O-rings that help secure the cap and one of them has split. I have a box of o-rings but none of them are that thick I temporarily placed one on in the meantime and placed another order of parts from AF1 of various tidbits.

I haven't heard a word from Piaggio so moving forward, I'll see if I can get this pipe welded. I called one local welder and texted him pictures. He wanted no parts of it as he taking the stance of defective metal.

Called the next welder and texted pics and I'll drop off the muffler in the morning. By hook or crook, I'll get Bella back in action here soon.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 154
-Receive: 193

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #484 on: March 25, 2020, 07:13:32 AM »

It's a wise man that knows his limitations.
It's a wise woman that knows her limitations.
It's a wise they that knows their limitations.
(53 to follow when I have time)

__
Don
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #485 on: March 25, 2020, 06:58:28 PM »

It's a wise man that knows his limitations.
It's a wise woman that knows her limitations.
It's a wise they that knows their limitations.
(53 to follow when I have time)

Yep!
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #486 on: March 25, 2020, 07:01:16 PM »

I'm sure folks are sick of my muffler drama! Get ready for the next episode of 946 Colon Cancer!

I shot a followup email to Piaggio and they got right back with. It appears that they're still in discussions and I may have screwed the pooch on getting the old one welded. It must be pretty serious as we have a Italian gent looking into the matter. A Mr. Guillermo Aramayo.

Off to the local welder for a fix. This shop clearly works on heavy equipment!

I handed him the 'Il silenziatore scoreggia' (the fart muffler)

He chose to use a MIG not a TIG welder nor was I comfortable telling a man how to do his job regarding the above recommendations to use TIG.

He said he made 2 passes on it to reinforce it. His normal minimum is $80, he charged me $40.

I've had enough of the damn virus threads filled with doom and gloom so I'm doing what I do and writing about it hopefully to provide some content that is 2 wheeled related.

45*F here today and pouring rain so I'll have to wait to shoot it with some heat BBQ paint and final assembly.

Life is short enjoy the ride!

Eric
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 28
-Receive: 166

« Reply #487 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:56 PM »

Looks like a hardy weld. Should hold. No one but you will know on the road but exhaust leaks are always bad.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #488 on: March 25, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »

Looks like a hardy weld. Should hold. No one but you will know on the road but exhaust leaks are always bad.

I sure hope so, welds can be short term or long term. Time will tell! Thanks for popping and commenting.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 120

Email
« Reply #489 on: March 25, 2020, 09:54:02 PM »

Might be a terrific welder, but grinding without any PPE, would have gotten him a stern talking to, if not something more, in my shop. There seems to be very little splatter, so the weld should be excellent.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶650
 ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶X̶2̶
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #490 on: March 25, 2020, 10:56:15 PM »

Well I think he was grinding to get a negative ground on one of the mounts and a clean positive on the weld joint as he was using a MIG. I'm a self proclaimed n00b on welding so I really don't know?
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #491 on: March 26, 2020, 06:58:14 AM »

Definitions needed...
MIG
TIG
PPE
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #492 on: March 26, 2020, 02:06:56 PM »

Definitions needed...
MIG
TIG
PPE

MIG - Gas metal arc welding, sometimes referred to by its subtypes metal inert gas welding or metal active gas welding, is a welding process in which an electric arc forms between a consumable MIG wire electrode and the workpiece metal, which heats the workpiece metal, causing them to melt and join.

TIG - (TIG) welding, is an arc welding process that uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode to produce the weld. The weld area and electrode is protected from oxidation or other atmospheric contamination by an inert shielding gas (argon or helium), and a filler metal is normally used, though some welds, known as autogenous welds, do not require it. When helium is used, this is known as heliarc welding. A constant-current welding power supply produces electrical energy, which is conducted across the arc through a column of highly ionized gas and metal vapors known as a plasma.

PPE - I can't comment on as I don't know the reference myself.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #493 on: March 26, 2020, 03:06:12 PM »

PPE - personal protective equipment, i.e., safety glasses, gloves, (especially when grinding). Using a grinder without the guard in place is a termination type offense. Same with safety glasses. At least in shops where OSHA regulations are followed.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #494 on: March 26, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »

Thanks, guys. I got PPE the other two are so far over my head I'll just trust that they're different ways of sticking metal together without duct tape. (I understand duct tape.)
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 18

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #495 on: March 26, 2020, 10:33:03 PM »

So happy you got that fixed, must be a relief.  Next time straight pipe under the scoot! 

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #496 on: March 27, 2020, 01:03:43 AM »

946 Colon Cancer - hopefully the final chapter!

So I reinstalled the muffler after I shot a couple of coats of heat BBQ paint which was giving me the devil getting it to line up properly. The heat shields cover the unsightly weld so good to go there!

Next up replace the sparkplug that probably doesn't need replaced.

Not too bad!

Adjust the sparkplug gap per the manual.

So I fired up the scoot to warm the oil up. Here's a short video of warming it up and checking for exhaust leaks.
https://vimeo.com/401152797

Time for the oil change, so I'm checking the service manual and it says remove the muffler first. Doh! :doh I felt there was enough room for me to still make it happen with the muffler in place and gave it a go. The screen filter oil cap must have been put on by a gorilla as I had to use a breaker bar to get it free. (throw in a few busted knuckles)

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #497 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:32 AM »

The screen filter came out nice and clean.

I took off the old oil filter and you can see where the tech that performed the last oil change appears to have just grabbed it with giant pliers and crewed it on... This is the reason I wrench on my own stuff...

The new filter has a bizarre over on it that must need a special tool? I got it on never the less.

Time to fill it up with new oil. On this scoot you fill it through the dipstick hole which is rather small. Check out this cool oil spout that came on the Motul oil.

Manual says 1340 cm3 of oil? Google and here's what I get. I converted cm3 to oz.

Tomorrow is the final drive oil and this one is dome if the weld holds.

Thanks for reading.

Eric

minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #498 on: March 27, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »

That screw on cap/funnel thingy may be worth hanging onto.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #499 on: April 10, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »

I'm loads behind on catching up my shitastic thread I have going here. So here we go with another boat load of posts!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a  surprising turn of events Piaggio contacted me today following up on my goodwill claim/ask out of warranty. They offered to split the cost of a new muffler which to me is more than fair since the bike is out of warranty. I directed them to AF1 to make the arrangements. The jackpot question is when will it get here as Italy as a whole country is on lock down. Maybe there's a parts warehouse sourced elsewhere? We shall see.

This is a very kind offer of Piaggio in my opinion and I tip my helmet to them for their continued support of their customer base.

I asked if they would mind if I welded the old pipe in the mean time to limp along till this comes to fruition. Sure, no problem. Whew! 

The next infusion of parts in the mail. AF1 rocks! 

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #500 on: April 10, 2020, 07:32:34 PM »

So I took the 946 for a spin around the block to warm up the final drive oil. A quick removal of the final drive filler bolt.

Remove the bottom drain bolt. The final drive oil looks to be in pretty good shape.

I should mention that I bought this puny oil drain pan from Scooter West which is the perfect size for servicing the Vespas.

My next batch of tidbits came in from AF1 while I was waiting for the oil to drain.  danceing

Being the high tech redneck that I am I use a Cabela's turkey baster that came with my turkey fryer. 

I pour some oil in a Solo cup an suck it out with the turkey syringe and inject it in the fill hole till it visibly spooges out.

Perfectamundo!

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #501 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:29 PM »

Done! Squeeze the Solo cup to make a pour spout and put the rest back in the bottle. I use a Sharpie and mark the partially used bottle of oil with a date and the model of the bike I'm working on for later use.

Every 2 or 3 years I replace o-ring on items like the dipstick. A small piece of mind when I'm a 1,000 miles from home.

It's 82*F/27.8*C today and folks are out on their boats and jetskis already. I swear this year feels like a paternity suit between winter and spring! 

Buttoned her up and off we go on a test ride to check my work and scrub in the new tire, bonus points for picking up a scooter tag.

Some random shots of the Old Dominion...

I have ridden by this barn 100 times and today was the day to stop and take a picture. Hands down my favorite barn in the state!

I hope this update finds each of you in good health and spirit.

Peace,

Eric
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #502 on: April 10, 2020, 07:52:18 PM »

A Smax, a Crocodile and Pedro's South of the Border

I wrote this wacky ride report years ago before I started my meandering thread. As many of you know I buy all kinds of scooters and bikes to fix up in the winter and sell in the spring which foots the bill for my addiction. I found this Smax at a very handy price in mid December in the middle of winter 2016 in SC. So I thought I would throw it in the mix of this mess of a thread.
(some of you may remember this post)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got home and showered up. I took quite a few pics but sadly there were no scenic pics as I had a very long day to plow through and I'm whooped. This will be a long post and hopefully worth your time to read. So here's a few of my thoughts of this journey...

First off, what started this whole adventure was reading a thread on ADV on Smax's. Wow, a ton of information to digest so I had to read through all the posts a second time. Second, don't go looking for a scoot or bike when you're not in the market for one, I guarantee you will find a deal. ;)

I was using craigslist search engine to see what folks are selling their used Smax's for and this one popped up in SC.

I felt it was a good deal and reached out to the owner. He got right back to me and said he was just getting ready to take it off CL and funny that I emailed about it as it's been on CL for a couple months.

We spoke on the phone a couple of times agreed on a price quite a bit less then his selling price and it was on. Now how to figure out how to go fetch this scoot in biscuits & gravy country?  :hmmmmm

So I checked cheap airfare, bus tickets and train tickets vs. towing a trailer down there. I opted to take Amtrak from VA to SC for a poultry $65. A ticket was purchased and I sent my itinerary to this gentleman and he felt it was solid enough to take it off of CL.  :deal

I watched the weather for a bit and took a shot at a window where I thought I might have clear sailing to get it home which was Tues. 12/7 and get a motel and return today 12/8.

The train was to leave at 8:30 AM and arrive in Dillon, SC at 5:00 PM. So I get up poop, shower and shave and off I go to the train station. Driving down there I hear on the radio a train crashed into a car and all trains were delayed as a result on the radio. FRACK me 3 times and I muddled some obscenities. 

On a side note as I'm all dressed up in my Dainese white coat looking like a Stormtrooper from the latest Starwars movie a nice dude rolls up and asks what I ride. We strike up a conversation after bitching about late trains and he rides a BMW. I asked if he's an ADV member, sure enough! Sadly I forgot his logon but mines fairly easy to remember and I hope he pops in this thread to say hi. I have met some of the most outstanding folks in my life right off this very forum. Amazing...

So I'm at the train station waiting, there's no signage for what's going on with each trains, heck I don't even know which side of the tracks to wait on so it was a 50/50 guess. One train comes and it's not mine. :(

This train station was built in 1910, pretty cool. There's a cool Bavarian restaurant in there that I have to return and try some day.

I wait and wait and finally my train came 1.5 hours late and of course I was on the wrong side of the tracks so I do a flying tennis shoe to the other side and just made it! Helmet and gear flapping in the breeze as I was running.

Amtrak has free wifi so I fired up the iPad and shot him an email that I'm off to a roaring slow start. Asked him if he wanted to grab supper when I get there. He replied sure there's a chicken joint down the road. I thought, screw it, it's Xmas so I asked him if he's down with going to a steak house, my treat. Time for a random act of kindness. (RAOK)

Meet Gary! His reply was priceless! Love it. It's been a long time since someone busted out the daddy-o on me!  :lol3 (yes, I asked him if I could post his pic, he said sure wtf do I care lol) Those of you that have traveled the 95 corridor may recognize the background, that's South of the Border, Pedro's. The grandes el gross-o of all tourist traps in the CONUS in my opinion. lol

Holy smokes! The Peddler Steak House is located here at South of the Border. I eat there about once a month, a kick ass filet mignon and a great salad bar. You got a date daddy-o!

Gary

Here's Tuesday's weather, it's not looking good for the entire eastern seaboard...

A random pic out of the train window and visibility was terrible for pics with all the rain. I think this is the James River as we're crossing through Richmond.

So Gary picks me up at the train station and we're off to supper. We had a very good steak at Peddler's and he asked if I would like to watch some TV and have a beverage, sure a motel is going suck so why not?

Before we head over to his trailer he wants to show me the crocs. Ummm ok.... :dllama:

Bam! There they were.

So we hang out and watch TV. Come to find out he's been riding bikes his whole life. I ask which his fav was and replied hands down the Yamaha Vmax. Right on Gary!  :super

The deal with the Smax is he had a very bad stroke right after he purchased it and he feels his riding has come to an end. :( (Something every single member on this forum can relate to.) Scares the F outta me...

Complications from the stoke has reduced the use of his hands and no feeling in left at all. Damn... I'm staring at my biggest fear, myself one day soon. Gary's 70 and had a good run on bikes but it still is heart wrenching for me to hear this news. Words can't describe how heavy my heart was/is on this.

He offers to me crash on his sofa and I was comfortable with the situation so I stay at his place.

(more to come)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #503 on: April 10, 2020, 07:58:57 PM »

So I'm up at 6 AM anxious to get on the road and not so anxious to check the weather. We have a cup of coffee, do the paperwork, shake hands, take a few pics and I ride away feeling like I have a new friend.

I'm stuffing and packing my crap to see what the best combo is, I wired up my heated jacket as it was very damp and cold this morning even in SC.

This combo worked the best with my Kriega WP compression sack strapped to the back for something to lean up against. That's Gary's Winn in the back.

On a side note for the infamous debate of PCX vs. Smax, Gary sold his PCX for one simple reason, to buy the Smax because of the hump was a royal pinta for him to deal with. Otherwise he said he loved the PCX emphatically!

I used a cheesy Amazon iPhone 6+ holder clamped to the handle bar to use for my nav to get home. It worked great!

Visibility was decent but there was a lot of moisture in the air from it raining all day yesterday. Gary had topped off the tank for me for my trip. Wow...  

I rolled on 100 miles and pulled over for coffee and gas. Cheesy truck stop number 1, so far so good no issues.

I'm sitting there warming up and a dude rolls up on me and says my bike got stolen 2 years ago and I've been saving up for another one, I saw you in all your gear and just wanted to say hi. I said right on dude, go get you one today! Life is short to not follow your dreams and I hope I see ya on the road. (my warm and fuzzy moment on a cold morning)  cold

On a side note I use an app on my iPhone call Glympse. It's free and they have a version for the iPhone and the Android as well. It tracks where I'm at and also displays real time speed to my friends and family so they know where I'm at in travel. Very cool app!

Also, the weather was cold but I literally hit the lottery as a cold front is coming in tonight that is sweeping across the nation.

Second gas stop 200 miles into the ride, running like a champ and zero issues.

On the 3rd gas stop I went to start it and the battery was half dead. No surprise here as  the heated jacket is too taxing on the battery. I asked a dude at the pump if he had jumper cables, as luck would have it he did and I was up and rolling again in 10 minutes. I normally carry a lithium jumper box but more on that later.

I made it home with no issues with just a tad over 500 miles. I was damn cold so I stowed my gear and headed for a hot shower. All in all it was a fantastic trip and I made a new friend in the process.

The paper 3 day temp tag VA gives you to ride a bike home was taped to a piece of cardboard from my Sam Adams six pack last night. Worked like a champ! 

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #504 on: April 10, 2020, 08:00:04 PM »

Ok on Amtrak I read all the TSA warning, no knives, no lithium batteries, no booze, yada yada. No one checked a darn thing ever. They barely checked my ticket so my advise in retrospect would be to take that stuff and stuff it in the bottom of your bag. (within the bounds of good taste). I always carry a Leatherman with all the tools on my trips.

This is the jumpbox I bought at Wally World for $9 on closeout and yes it will even jumpstarts a car but perfect for a bike or a scoot with an anemic battery.

Just my 2 cents...
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #505 on: April 10, 2020, 08:03:40 PM »

The followup to this short story came a couple months later in springtime.

Sold the Smax to this young lady in Harpers Ferry, WV. Tomorrow is her 62nd birthday and this was a gift for herself. She was jumping up and down and so excited after looking at so many beat up scoots. I couldn't have been more happy for her.

Just a short story of what I do on a regular basis. 

Back to my regularly scheduled scooter trash when I get some time to post. I hope a few of these posts put a smile on your face today!

Stay safe,

Eric
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 148

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #506 on: April 10, 2020, 09:27:41 PM »

Eric, as always I’m smiling thanks for taking us along.  Nice story. 

Cathy
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #507 on: April 11, 2020, 06:17:28 AM »

Eric, as always I’m smiling thanks for taking us along.  Nice story. 

Cathy

Me too, ditto that.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: