August 11, 2020, 02:54:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginian's Meanderings  (Read 31175 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 158
-Receive: 200

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #390 on: December 08, 2019, 05:46:25 AM »

Thanks for the ride-along. She's lookin' good.

__
Don
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 126

Email
« Reply #391 on: December 08, 2019, 07:24:30 PM »

Eric the Gray Ghost looks great........ BTW my prescription is just fine.

Cathy has been known to exaggerate a little on occasion! That mullet was quite the thang. Good job on the scooter, though.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶650
 ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶4̶0̶0̶ ̶X̶2̶
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 34
-Receive: 154

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #392 on: December 09, 2019, 12:28:58 AM »

Eric the Gray Ghost looks great........ BTW my prescription is just fine.

Cathy has been known to exaggerate a little on occasion! That mullet was quite the thang. Good job on the scooter, though.

Huh!

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 44

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #393 on: December 09, 2019, 01:50:09 AM »

Years back, my first scoot was an Aprilia Mojito. All sorts of shiny chrome accessories were made, but not offered here in the US. I found the part numbers in Europe and AF-1 tracked them all down for me; those guys are the best! I still have the Aprilia umbrella they got me...

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 368
-Receive: 880

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #394 on: December 10, 2019, 03:24:33 PM »

Nice looking guy & sidecar!! 

Thanks for the lighter fluid tip!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 277
-Receive: 88

Email
« Reply #395 on: December 12, 2019, 10:39:01 PM »

TBT - Throw Back Thursday

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #396 on: December 13, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »

Nice Eric, I have to say I am liking this hairstyle a bit better than the sidecar one.   I looked at the sidecar picture again and you briefly reminded me of Tom Cruise in Top Gun.  Not the hairstyle of course.  Also much taller.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #397 on: December 13, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »

Nice Eric, I have to say I am liking this hairstyle a bit better than the sidecar one.   I looked at the sidecar picture again and you briefly reminded me of Tom Cruise in Top Gun.  Not the hairstyle of course.  Also much taller.

In that sidehack photo pop was teaching me to ride the Indian around the neighborhood and that's the windblown look.

There's quite the story being the K100 bike. I'll dig up some info and share it here in a bit. Thanks for looking and commenting.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #398 on: December 24, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »

So I was telling Bourbon I've been good this year and Santa was going to hook me up. ... I don't think he's buying it...

Merry Christmas, Happy Boxing Day or Happy Hanukkah all my scooter and m/c friends.

Eric
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #399 on: December 27, 2019, 12:16:40 AM »

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #400 on: December 27, 2019, 12:47:16 AM »

Bob and I had a good laugh.  Thank you.  Hope your Christmas was good.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #401 on: December 29, 2019, 04:44:38 PM »

It's raining pretty hard today as I've been riding during this unseasonably warm weather for the last week. So time for an update!

I'm planning a trip for 2020, either MOAB or hit up the south west, TBD. I want to make this ride once again from a minimalist point of view and thought long and hard about taking one of the Vespas but I fear it's a bad idea as the CVT transmission will have a tough go of it riding many dirt roads on the west trip and a no go on MOAB. So for the past year I've been trying to pick up a good used TW200 as I'm partial to the tuning fork. It amazes me how those 30 year old designed bikes retain their value.

After much debate I decided to work towards purchasing a new bike and spend this winter setting up for this trip. I've been looking at Honda CRF250L, Yamaha XT225 and Yamaha TW200.

So I was getting ready to buy beat up scooters and bikes and flip them to foot the bill, kind of what I do every winter to feed my addiction. But! When I was on my Vegas trip (I'm not much of a gambler) I was hitting the penny slots up. I had a tremendous win streak for 3 days in a row and cashed out and ran away. Mrs. V absconded most of it but I kept enough to literally pay for this bike.. Woohoo! It got so bad the the hotel was issuing me W2s. Crazy... Apparently if you win in anything gambling over the amount of $1,200 it's an automatic W2.

Being an old school Harley rider I was super salty that the SOA slot wasn't paying anything ever!

Spin forward to now I've been researching for which bike to to go with. I landed on the CRF250L Rally, larger tank and some weather protection. As luck would have it Honda has a warehouse full of non ABS 2018s and offered a $1,000 rebate. They started popping up on Cycletrader for incredible prices. I found one at a steal of a price at Track N' Trail up in PA close to State College. Road trip for 10 hours round trip.

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #402 on: December 29, 2019, 04:54:58 PM »

It was a little chilly on the ride home...

A warm streak here in the east so away I go!

I was out grabbing tags yesterday and was taking a pic of the racetrack and a sheriffs deputy rolled up on me. She was just checking on me to see if I was okay and was super nice! Even let me grab a pic with her.

So that's the latest un-epic adventures of mine this week. I have some really cool ideas for setting up this bike and this will be my winter project this year.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #403 on: December 29, 2019, 04:56:04 PM »

Congrats on the wins & outcome there from!

IIRC, you can claim you gambling losses too so...
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #404 on: December 29, 2019, 05:01:48 PM »

So last night Mrs. V and I went out for supper to celebrate life, also Daisy Mae's birthday and I had a nice ribeye with plenty left over for the pups when we got home.

One parting shot, you know you live in the south when your local little league team is named the Biscuits!

I wish all of you good health, happiness, and the best year of your life coming up in 2020. Happy New Year folks.

Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Eric
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #405 on: December 29, 2019, 05:02:29 PM »

Congrats on the wins & outcome there from!

IIRC, you can claim you gambling losses too so...

Can you really? I had no idea.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 28
-Receive: 169

« Reply #406 on: December 29, 2019, 06:37:47 PM »

Congrats on the winnings and the new ride. Love those Honda 250's.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 144
-Receive: 202

« Reply #407 on: December 30, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »

...at Track N' Trail up in PA close to State College. Road trip for 10 hours round trip.

Congratulations on the new CRF250L Rally. I really like how Honda set up that model.

Agree that Track N' Trail is worth the road trip. While living in Maryland a few years ago, TNT gave us an excellent deal on our 'new old stock' ATV.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #408 on: December 31, 2019, 03:27:16 PM »

In that sidehack photo pop was teaching me to ride the Indian around the neighborhood and that's the windblown look.

There's quite the story being the K100 bike. I'll dig up some info and share it here in a bit. Thanks for looking and commenting.

TBT - Throw Back Thursday

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Here's the story behind this bike.

I believe I shared this story on the BMW thread a while back but I'll re-post it here if you didn't catch it there. As some of you may know my father was a test pilot and he wanted to have some fun with his new K100. In that photo of me absconding pop's bike to hit up the Ortega Hwy you can see the start of the transformation. He has Corbin make a gunfighter seat that kind of locked you in and the windshield is an Aeroflow.  Paige Ortiz, founder of Aeroflow was good friends with my parents and it wasn't unusual to see him kicking around on ride or us riding out to visit him. On the other side it's sporting a hand crafted muffler made by Matt Capri of Luftmeister in Long Beach. Matt Capri has been tuning BMWs since he helped build Reg Pridmore’s Daytona-winning boxer superbike in the Seventies. The name means “Air master”, and the firm from Long Beach in California has been making K-series models blow harder since 1988. He topped the 200 mph barrier on a K bike at Bonneville. Matt doesn't have a stellar reputation but that's another story... Pop loaned him that bike to do some R&D on making pipes for K bikes.

Now the rest of the story is my parents were both very active in BMW-MOA. My mother wrote many articles for MOA during her tenure. Pop wanted to paint that bike like a fighter jet but the Airforce had boring battleship gray planes so he opted to do an F14 Tomcat theme. I should mention that there were no vinyl wraps back then and what you are looking at is hand painted.  (the Navy always had and still does the coolest paint schemes) Called up a friend that was an active F14 pilot and rode that bike down to Mirimar for a photo shoot that eventually made the cover of BMW-MOA May 1989.

The Navy or DoD (I don't remember) got a case of the ass about one of 'their' F14s being filmed with a German motorcycle. Dear sir curse you letters went back and forth and they got it sorted. Here's the cover of the magazine.

And you can read the reference to issues at hand making this happen in a blurb in the magazine.

One of the prints from that photo shoot that I need to get matted and framed one day. You can see better Matt's Luftmeister pipe  in this pic as well.

My parents were pretty innovative folks in life and me, I'm just the skippy son with the mullet along for the ride. Sure their examples spurred me on to create my RD400 into a cool race bike but I pale by comparison. So to be clear when i share some of these pics we are laughing at, I was a starving broke young man trying to make my way through the world like most other folks. I just hit the lottery with my parents.

PS: Charles Bohner was the staff photographer for Douglas Aircraft and a friend of pop's. He was kind enough to drive down and take these beautiful pics and deserves to be remembered and a hardy shout out.

Happy New Year to each and every one of you. May 2020 be the best year of your life.

Eric
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #409 on: January 01, 2020, 12:52:15 AM »

Great back story Eric as usual. Congrats on your winnings and new bike.

Happy New Year as well to you Lisa, and the pups.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #410 on: January 05, 2020, 10:59:04 PM »

Love the new bike!! Congrats on the winnings!
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #411 on: January 07, 2020, 01:03:16 AM »

Okay, I kicked the HD off the lift and up went the CRF, I'll try to share how I'm rigging it.

All my parts came in that I ordered from Erin & Scott at SRCmoto.com , all  the parts were very well packaged and made of quality materials.

I'm not going to do a step by step tutorial here but here's the finished product. Top rack anchors to the 4 bolts that OEM use for tie downs off the rear of the bike. The pannier sides anchor to the top rack and then lastly there's a cross support on the rear that anchors to the pannier sides, combined it's rock solid. I added the tool tube and it anchors to the transition of the rack to the pannier. The tool tube is nothing but a plastic tube with a giant O-ring gasket to make it waterproof. The tool tube will house 2 inner tubes, patch kit, and hopefully tools.  Slick!

Gas can tucks in nicely on the left side.

As I stated earlier, full access to the tool box on the bike.

Some of you have may seen me use the Kriega bags on my trips. I love them as they adapt to every bike I have and I don't need a set of luggage for each bike as I flip them in and out of my garage. They're literally bomb proof regarding being waterproof. I have ridden through monsoons with them and not a drop! The inside is 'white' so I can see what in in the bag in low light conditions, the liner is washable and is Velcro'd in and is also replaceable. I've been using mine for roughly 10 years and they're functioning perfectly.

This is for demonstration purposes so I didn't tuck all the straps but you get the idea on how nicely they mate up to just about any rack. Stack them, put them on the side of the bags, use your imagination to get a tailored fit in an 'off the rack' world we live in.

And lastly, the must have ADV sticker!

This rig with a tank bag will be all I ever need as I really don't carry much. Now regarding tip overs and damage to the 'rally's' Tupperware, this rack sticks out far enough to prevent most get offs and incurring damage. Put on some decent hand guards and the rack you should be good to go. I take pride in thinking 10 steps ahead when I'm building something and yes the plastic damage was most definitely on my radar and this is my solution.  

Shades of things to come. I have this dash panel mocked up and I'm working getting it installed soon.

Only 12 more Mondays till spring! Woohoo!
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #412 on: January 07, 2020, 01:21:49 AM »

Eric, that is awesome.  Keep us updated.  Have you decided Moab or the Southwest?  Also would you trailer the bike to have more riding time in your chosen area.  As you said great where are you? To pass the winter.

Bob has a few add ons to do on my Goldwing this winter.  Wish we had a set up like you have.  Attached garages are great.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #413 on: January 07, 2020, 02:30:17 AM »

Out for a ride Saturday, about 200 miles on January 4th in the Old Dominion and it was 61*f.

I want me pot of gold! Still looking for it.. Lucky Charms will do though! ;)

My total miles ridden for 2019 came to 22,507. T'was a good year!
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Saint Louis, MO 2020

« Reply #414 on: January 07, 2020, 04:19:01 AM »

Nice,  22,507 miles for 2019.  Impressive.  I totaled 7,648 for 2019.  The most I ever rode in a year was  14,548 back in 2011 my first full year of riding.  It just so happens my last day of riding  2011 was on my birthday as it was this past year.  It was not as warm and sunny as this past birthday I can tell you that.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #415 on: January 07, 2020, 06:21:55 AM »

Nice,  22,507 miles for 2019.  Impressive.  I totaled 7,648 for 2019.  The most I ever rode in a year was  14,548 back in 2011 my first full year of riding.  It just so happens my last day of riding  2011 was on my birthday as it was this past year.  It was not as warm and sunny as this past birthday I can tell you that.

It seems to get colder and colder each year regardless of the thermometer's lying.

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #416 on: January 08, 2020, 05:49:19 AM »

Eric, that is awesome.  Keep us updated.  Have you decided Moab or the Southwest?  Also would you trailer the bike to have more riding time in your chosen area.  As you said great where are you? To pass the winter.

Bob has a few add ons to do on my Goldwing this winter.  Wish we had a set up like you have.  Attached garages are great.

Cathy,

I haven't decided yet as I waiting on a couple of other peeps to chime in. I'm not a fan of traveling that far alone for sanity reasons. The Wide Glide is getting a face lift now and I should have that done by the end of the week. Then next is to address my gear, all my helmets, gloves, jackets are covered in bugs and grime. I may do a write up on how I refurbish my gear for next season every winter.

Regarding my set up, I had the luxury of doing the layout when we built the cabin. I put a lot of effort into the garage as it's stick built and not part of the logs sans the back wall. I spend so much time in there...

Thank you for commenting!

It seems to get colder and colder each year regardless of the thermometer's lying.

True dat! The older I get the less I can take the extreme weather changes. I have no complaints though, I'm still hanging in there. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

Eric
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #417 on: January 12, 2020, 09:57:11 PM »

Dash plate installed and works a treat.

January 12th and it's 68*F/20*C, time to ride.

@Vantcptr  reached out to me on the forum and we got together for a ride today. One goal, Carolina BBQ! I took him on some of my lazy back country roads in my parts. Spectacular day for riding today. It's always a good day to meet another like minded rider especially close by. Thanks for reaching out to me.

If you can't ride the world today, ride your state!

Eric
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #418 on: January 17, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »

10 hours labor to install drag bars, thread/hide all the wiring and install heated grips. I will never do another job like that one again. Simply put, it sucked... 37*F/2.7*C today so let's give it a go shall we?  :o I'm super happy to get this task off my work bench and onto the next one.

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #419 on: January 17, 2020, 10:01:09 PM »

For those of you that ride in very cold weather I thought I would throw this out there on your radar. Every year on the infamous Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are going on I check the usual places that I buy my gear at for decent sales. I decided to upgrade my base layer this fall, Freeze-Out Warm'R shirt and britches. All I can say is wow! This ain't your grandpa's long johns. Wind chill was in the 20s today and they outperformed my expectations! I'm not going to win any fashion shows rocking these when I'm getting dressed but they're worth the coin in my opinion.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/freeze-out-warmr-shirt?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=8160060&PublisherName=VigLink&cjevent=815dafa5396311ea81a801520a240611

And some more parts showed up for the CRF!

I have come to really enjoy winter here in VA as I finally take a step back and get to work on fun projects that keep me motivated when I choose not to ride much this time of year.

Thanks for stopping by and reading.

Eric

PS: The pinlock is amazing on the new helmet. Zero fogging on the face shield today which was an anomaly for me.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: