April 19, 2019, 02:43:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginian's Meanderings  (Read 6281 times)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 186
-Receive: 70

Email
« Reply #240 on: March 04, 2019, 12:52:19 AM »

I did some exploring today.

The one request that I asked Conchshooter for was to stick my toes in gin blue water just once before I head back home to the snow and cold.

A wave came and stole my thunder of the photo op but it was awesome. Mission accomplished!

Some random pics.

There were scoots everywhere and are a viable means of transportation here in the Keys.

The cemeteries that were above ground were fascinating. In this particular cemetery lies the bodies of many of the sailors from the U.S.S. Battleship Maine which that sank in the Havana harbor during the Cuban revolt against Spain, an event that became a major political issue in the United States. The mighty USS Maine was the first U.S. Navy ship to be named after the state of Maine. It was commissioned in 1895 and sank in 1898. They brought several of the bodies back here to Key West for a proper burial.

Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Maine_(ACR-1)

After Michael gave me the tour of the area we went to the Hogfish Grill for lunch. I had the fresh fired shrimp and chips and he had the hogfish sammich with Swiss cheese and mushrooms. Yum!

A truck parked out front.

I have a flight to go home tomorrow and will arrive in the evening and from what I'm told it was snowing there yesterday.

As I close this chapter on my moto life tomorrow I'll turn the page to a fresh sheet of paper and start working on my next chapter. Thanks for stopping by and reading The Virginian's Meanderings.

Eric

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #241 on: March 04, 2019, 01:00:14 AM »

Gives a whole new meaning to wearing a helmet for safety.

Was having the exact same thought as I scrolled to your post. Glad the incident ended quickly and without injury to you, Eric.

The mighty Alabama!

After enjoying a too brief visit to Charleston, South Carolina, looking for more mini-vacation destinations (Mobile Bay was already under consideration), and now seeing your photo, I have moved Battleship Memorial Park far up the list of places to visit. Your entire thread is a great read and view.

Glad you'll go back to that park as I was itching to go myself! Please post up if you go and your thoughts and experiences there. Thanks for stopping by and reading.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #242 on: March 04, 2019, 01:03:37 AM »

OK, I know you were happy to deliver the scooter, and Michael is happy that you delivered the scooter, but I bet Mrs. Conch wasn't all that thrilled, was she?

Funny you should ask that, she was fine with it as she knows its Michael's love in his life. She asked me that I would giver her the key when I arrived which I promptly did right after i arrived. Michael has a lot more PT to do before he gets a clearance from the doc. Hopefully he's motivated now.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #243 on: March 04, 2019, 01:06:47 AM »

Eric, always a great read and pics.  Still waiting for Spring.  Arctic forecast the next three days.  High of 14 Monday low of 0 tomorrow night. ☹️

Cathy, I sure hope you and Bob catch a break in the weather, your neck of the woods sure has been hit hard this winter. Sunny days are ahead!
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #244 on: March 04, 2019, 01:21:43 AM »

Glad you arrived safely and the new owner is happy. Now you need to post a review of the Burgman 200.

Jdbrot,

Here's my quick 2 on the Burgman 200.

This scooter is wide like all the Burgmans but yet it's low enough if you have a short inseam for most to be able to flat foot the ground. The motor is amazing  in the sense it is a class leader at its useable power range. It hums along effortlessly at 70 to 73 mph while still maintaining decent gas mileage at those sustained speeds. Michael and I spoke at great length about the speeds I was going to travel at and he said no sweat, have at it. As he took a 3,500 mile trip last summer and it never burned a drop of oil. I check the oil every gas stop to be sure and he was correct, zero loss of oil on that trip.

The gas mileage is somewhere around 90 mpg when doing 55 mph and hinder but drops to 60 mpg when you push it hard at speeds 70 and above. She tops out at 80 mph, GPS verified. There's 2 glove boxes up by the pet carrier and one has a 12DC adapter in there that I used to charge my phone and GPS on the go. The other glove box is small and good for a change of gloves and your wallet. There's ample storage under the seat for 1 helmet and a plethora of other gear as well. I don't know how far she can go on a tank of gas but I was refueling at 125 miles and putting in 2.1 gallons on each fill up. When the gas gauge fell to just one bar, I was looking for gas immediately so idk how much further on that one bar and reserve?

The baby Burger rails in the rain believe me this was tested for over 1,000 miles of pretty bad rain on this trip. The windshield is perfect for Michael but for me it falls short and I was getting the blast of wind on my shoulders and dirty air up by my helmet. There's loads of aftermarket windshields to remedy this or maybe try the Lanmar lip.

This scooter is seriously overlooked by folks and they can be found on the cheap. I would purchase one in a heartbeat if I fit on it a little better. I hope my thoughts answered your question.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 798

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #245 on: March 04, 2019, 02:58:23 AM »

Glad you got a day to relax.  Weather looks great.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 120

« Reply #246 on: March 04, 2019, 03:55:53 AM »

Thanks for the review. Hope you dry out before you get home. Rain stinks for that many rides.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #247 on: April 17, 2019, 12:06:28 AM »

Grabb'n a couple scooter tags today! Woohoo! Spring is here.

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 798

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #248 on: April 17, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »

Greening up!!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: