April 01, 2020, 03:17:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virginian's Meanderings  (Read 17154 times)
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 153
-Receive: 187

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #420 on: January 18, 2020, 07:25:03 AM »

The AK came with heated grips that I've learned to love but found that adding some wind protection boosted their effect by several factors.

BTW, I'd like to express our gratitude that you chose to NOT practice your runway walk with the new long johns.

__
Don
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 158

« Reply #421 on: January 18, 2020, 02:48:52 PM »

Those freeze out bottoms are great, very warm. I bought a spare pair after wearing them both riding and skiing.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 119

Email
« Reply #422 on: January 18, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »

Thank you for not posting a picture of you modelling the long johns! I had been helping a neighbor work on his H-D, cleaning up the nightmare of wiring and changing his bars, headlight, and adding a digital dash panel. We would have been thrilled if we only spent 10 hours on that. 40+ hours And counting.....

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
 ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶6̶5̶0̶
Majesty 400 x2
Honda Silverwing
Morphous 250
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 139

« Reply #423 on: January 18, 2020, 06:29:39 PM »

Bob and I came a across Marino wool underwear at Costco several years ago.  They have worked great. 

Also, have to agree with the others thanks for not modeling.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2020, 05:47:48 AM »

Bob and I came a across Marino wool underwear at Costco several years ago.  They have worked great. 

I wuz worried that, maybe, we were stepping on your, ummmmm, well.... ah....
Well, I'm relieved to see that you agreed with us.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '19 Husqvarna Svartpilen, '14 Vespa 946, '14 HD Wide Glide

Thank You
-Given: 265
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #425 on: January 19, 2020, 07:19:41 PM »

The AK came with heated grips that I've learned to love but found that adding some wind protection boosted their effect by several factors.

BTW, I'd like to express our gratitude that you chose to NOT practice your runway walk with the new long johns.

Actually the heated grips did an amazing job so I'm super happy about those. Believe me when I say this, if you saw me in long johns you would need extensive therapy...

Those freeze out bottoms are great, very warm. I bought a spare pair after wearing them both riding and skiing.

I've never tried them before and I'm glad I did. I'd ride more in the winter but it's more a case of them salting the roads here and that stuff eats up my bikes tout de sweet. I literally have to wash my bikes right after the ride no matter how cold it is or I get pitting in 24 hours.

Thank you for not posting a picture of you modelling the long johns! I had been helping a neighbor work on his H-D, cleaning up the nightmare of wiring and changing his bars, headlight, and adding a digital dash panel. We would have been thrilled if we only spent 10 hours on that. 40+ hours And counting.....

Bruce, that job was THE worst I have ever done in my life. No joke... Had I known I wouldn't have changed the bars out. I'm a one man show working on my stuff and wrenching when I could use an extra set of hands sure would be handy. (pun intended) Sorry I disappointed you on the no pic of my long johns!

Ya know, I have never tried Marino wool and I need to give it a go. I have read nothing but good things about it.

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #426 on: January 19, 2020, 07:45:17 PM »

Eric,
Ya know, I have never tried Marino wool and I need to give it a go. I have read nothing but good things about it.

They are silky and very comfortable.  They wick away the moisture and are not bulky.  I prefer not riding in cold weather but if you are in the mountains in the spring or fall easy to pack.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #427 on: January 23, 2020, 08:40:38 PM »

So it appears that Mrs. Sandy Claws did hook me up for Xmas and I had a new helmet under the tree this year.  The HJC RPHA 79 ST Forvic helmet, some designer I've never heard of? But! I love the color scheme with the gray ghost and it was on closeout. It came with a pin-lock shield with it which I have never seen before. In the past I always had to order one for $30 to $50 bones. Also the finish is metal flake which it cool.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-70-st-forvic-helmet?utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=8160060&PublisherName=VigLink&cjevent=63d7d29f3e0f11ea816f012e0a24060c

So, I'll be rock'n this helmet this year on the Vespa. I have retired 3 of my helmets this year as they're getting long in the tooth and I want to say helmet manufacturers recommend replacing helmets every 5 years. Might be a good time to look at your helmet and spring for a new one, it's cheap insurance when your head hits the road at 60 mph/96 kph. Buy the best that you can afford!

Features:
Advanced P.I.M. Plus (Premium Integrated Matrix Plus) construction: carbon fiber and carbon-glass hybrid fabric for enhanced shock resistance
Intake and exhaust top vents for maximum air circulation
Rear vent switch for easy control of air flow
Anti-fog smoke tinted sunshield deploys quickly
RapidFire shield replacement system: quick, tool-less shield removal and installation
Emergency cheek pads removal
Multicool interior with advanced anti-bacteria fabric provides enhanced moisture wicking and quick drying
Crown and cheek pads are removable and washable
HJ-26 anti-fog lens prepared shield
Includes anti-fog insert lens
Glasses-friendly EPS design
DOT and ECE approved

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #428 on: January 24, 2020, 06:19:20 AM »

Congrats on the new gear!
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #429 on: January 27, 2020, 11:59:04 PM »

Congrats on the new gear!

Thank you!

Back to the Gray Ghost... last month I received the recall notice for the brake. I'm jammed up for the next two weeks putting out other fires so I took a shot and called the dealer to see if Piaggio would cover a tow as the scoot isn't safe to ride at this point. They said nope, so I called and left a voicemail at Piaggio's customer care number and we'll see how this pans out. If not I'll make the time and get it down there for the recall.

I'm wrenching on the CRF and that project is about 95% done and ready for new adventures.

In other news I'm setting up a small scooter rally at Casa De Redneck this spring so chime in if you're interest and I'll keep you in the loop. I need to start a thread in the rally section to pan the members. 

minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »

Depending on the timing, keep me posted please.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #431 on: January 28, 2020, 08:35:03 PM »

(here's a copy and paste from ADV forum)

I am setting up a scooter meet in our home. I will be posting all the happening in this thread and particulars to this event. As Spring is rapidly approaching we are only a couple of months away from premier riding weather in these parts!  

Now regarding the scooter get together, I haunt 3 forums. The challenge here is I can host roughly 16 folks, a bunch of campers so to post this up to the entire ADV forum is just too much let alone two other forums. My thoughts are May 1st through the 4th, the first weekend in May. If we get down to crunch time we may have to slide the weekend back based on weather. I live on a lake so if any of you are kayakers, it might be a win if you tow your bike and kayak down and do some exploring of the 17 mile lake. I will ping a few members to lead some different rides based on interest. Think, Jamestown , Monticello, etc.

I will keep a rolling list and tag each person that states "I'm in" or a "definite maybe" and update this thread as we go. @sro99 and @jon_l , if you boys want to catch a redeye for the weekend, you two can grab whatever I have in the garage. So no excuses, cost of flying and some meals while riding is it. @CashCow please shoot this across the bow of Ken for me. I owe you two boys a tall beverage. @conchscooter Burger run time, I'll have the G&T ready for ya. Any of you hoodlums from CA want to have a go, chime in and I'll save a bike for you. @MYUMPH I know you won't be able to stay for the weekend but maybe you can come down for a ride and meal with the gang on you Burger 200 or Z125!

This will be primarily a scooter run but motorcycles are more than welcome. I will clear out the garage and we should be able to get most of the scoots/bikes in the garage each night. What's unusual about this offer is you will forfeit some privacy, think slumber party. One room has 4 bunk beds, so if 4 of you are in there and 2 snore, I can't help you. Capice? What you lose in privacy you gain in hanging out with 10 to 20 like minded folks to discuss the finer attributes of what we do. Have all the beverages you want and no worries on getting back to a hotel.

We provide breakfast each morning and fruit and water to stow in your tank bag for the road. All other meals are on you, so pizza, Chinese or the like and send someone to go get it, or we all convene at a restaurant and pig out. I'll post a list of GREAT roads to enjoy, many attractions to ride to and see if any interest, and provide links so you can do your due diligence if you so desire. We will provide all linens (wash cloth, hand towel, bath towel, sheets, pillows) for up to 16 folks. I have 3 full baths but only 2 are up for grabs, sorry my bathroom is mine!

So as this list grows and folks commit it may reach a cap and I'll have to cut it off. Campers are always welcome over and above the 16 cap.

IN
@DandyDoug - lower bunk
@jon_l - lower bunk
@minimac - Air mattress reloading room
@tastroman - Bed in the loft

Definite Maybe
Cathy & Bob from Chitown
@OldCoot

(more to come)
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #432 on: February 02, 2020, 04:32:10 PM »

I checked with Piaggio America and they do not allow for towing. :( So the Gray Ghost goes in the shop on Monday for the recall, I'll be glad to get this fixed.

The scooter rally is coming along nicely and I'm less than 90 days out for that event and have lots to do for preparation. In the meantime I have put in a little more time on the CRF. I ordered a crash bar from T-Rex to protect the Tupperware on the bike when I dump it. I'm hoping it will do its job.

This particular one bolts up to the engine bolts which I'm not really a fan of.

Here she is all buttoned up. This was a rascal of a job as I needed an extra set of hands. Something noteworthy is I do like the rub strips on the side of the bars that are replaceable.

I then ordered El Cheapo LED fog lamps and mounts from Amazon, plus some wiring loom. Unfortunately the LEDs are on back order but should be here this week.

I prefer the webbed looms over the plastic ones.

The diameter of the bar is smaller then the smallest rubber adapters allow so i used double sided tape. I'm hoping they won't vibrate going down the road.

When the LEDs come I'll post an update and lastly I'm going to install a decent pair of hand guards. The OEM ones are just wind deflectors and will snap off on the first tip over. Then this bike is ready for adventures in 2020.

I'll put another 60 miles on it today and it will be due for the first service which I will knock out today.

CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #433 on: February 02, 2020, 06:00:23 PM »

Your coming along nicely Eric.

Bob and I put in time off for the May Scooter Rally.  Mine has to be approved first.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2020, 09:26:50 PM »

Your coming along nicely Eric.

Bob and I put in time off for the May Scooter Rally.  Mine has to be approved first.

Sounds good and I hope you two can make it.

I had a bit of a sketchy ride down to the dealer to drop off GG with no brakes. My montra for the day was brake way early and leave lots of room!

I'm having the front fender installed as well. I wrote on the fender bubble wrap to not install the side markers, it's written on the RO (repair order) as well.

A 946 peeking at me.

This is the last of the tip over damage, goodbye and good riddance. I'll be glad the get my gray ghost back on the rotation.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #435 on: February 04, 2020, 11:02:57 PM »

Another unseasonbly warm day here so I wanted to try a new app called "Relive". It summarized my run today and posts some cool information like elevation, where you stopped for pics, speed and such into a 2 minute video on google earth I think?

As a rule of thumb most folks don't like clicking on an external link so I'm unsure if I'll use this app.

https://www.relive.cc/view/vevYVGgxoyO

Here's the pics of the day, just random shots.

Drive through prayers! I'll take a super size please, done a lot of sinning...

Nothing epic, just a 65 mile walk in the park.

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #436 on: February 05, 2020, 06:52:52 AM »

Interesting. Kymco Noodoe does something like this but without the photos.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #437 on: February 05, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »

That was cool Eric.  I was brave and clicked on it.  That’s because I trust your judgement.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #438 on: February 05, 2020, 06:40:33 PM »

Wow, the Gray Ghost is ready for pickup already, I just need to go down to the shop. The bad news is much lower temps and rain for the next three days. Time to break out the rain gear.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 21
-Receive: 158

« Reply #439 on: February 06, 2020, 01:13:33 AM »

Nice app, looks good.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #440 on: February 06, 2020, 06:26:51 PM »

Thank you Jdbrot. You can find the app on Apple apps or Google Play store if you wish to give it a go. www.relive.cc

GG was ready for pickup so we go on a balmy 37*F/2.8*C rainy day.  cold The upswing is it got up to 39*F/3.9*C on when I got home. Bonus points for no reflectors on the front fender.

Only about 11 or 12 more Mondays till Spring! 

Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #441 on: February 10, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »

I managed to get a little wrenching in on the CRF yesterday. I installed the brackets for the LED fog lamps and I can't say I'm happy. There's too much compression with the big rubber clamp and I fear they may sag or rotate downwards when you hit a big bump. We shall see...

The El Cheapo lights from Amazon finally showed up. They're quite robust and look like they'll take a beating.

The Amazon light mounts have a much larger hole in theme to mount the lights then what I needed. I have trays of leftover nuts, bolts and tidbit from all the bikes I've worked on over the years and found some plastic spacers. They're bit too big so I cut to size and then used a Dremel to shave the outer edge to fit the hole.

Here's a pic of the spacer wedged in there.

Looking sharp!

I'm half way through the wiring up to the dash mounted switch. I've been using these 'low temp solder' wire connectors. All I can say is wow! Pop the wired ends in and hit it with the heat gun, it melts the solder, shrink wraps the connection, and I believe (?) there's electrical connector dielectric grease in there as well. Waterproofs the connection for bonus points.

Before

After

(more to come)
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #442 on: February 11, 2020, 04:45:58 PM »

I've been using those low temp solder connectors for a couple of years . They are absolutely the cats' meow! If you don't have a heat gun (or hair dryer) even one of those grill lighting flame thingies work too.
sevenwheels
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 35
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #443 on: February 11, 2020, 08:12:06 PM »

So we have discovered solder sleeves?Long ago in another life when I did MilSpec or NASA spec wiring there were many pages(volumes) that address those. Yes, paper manuals. And yes, the Cat's meow.

2003 C240 Wagon,2006 Morphous,2011 Spyder RTS
2017 F150

IBA 56167
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 363
-Receive: 854

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #444 on: February 12, 2020, 05:41:08 PM »

The rally is coming along nicely!!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #445 on: March 08, 2020, 10:05:19 PM »

Out for a quick run today to grab some photo tags. Spring is springing and really good riding weather is just on the horizon. I hope to see all of you in the wind!

Here's a very short Relive video.
https://youtu.be/JURiu_Os-aU

CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #446 on: March 09, 2020, 02:35:10 AM »

Nice Eric, thanks for taking us along.  Weather was nice today here.  But, we didn’t go riding took forever this weekend to put the bike back together.  It is a pain to work on them.  Nothing is ever easy.  Some really poor design of parts by Honda. 
jpowell692
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 400, 2016 Burgman 400. 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 19

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #447 on: March 09, 2020, 02:48:54 AM »

When and where is this rally, I'm only about 4-5 hours away and can carry my tent.

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #448 on: March 09, 2020, 03:05:42 AM »

Nice Eric, thanks for taking us along.  Weather was nice today here.  But, we didn’t go riding took forever this weekend to put the bike back together.  It is a pain to work on them.  Nothing is ever easy.  Some really poor design of parts by Honda. 

I'm so sorry the mods are giving you grief. :(

When and where is this rally, I'm only about 4-5 hours away and can carry my tent.

Nothing epic but I'm hosting at our home two rallys this year. I posted it here and we would love to have you. You're welcome to camp of there's ample room for a bed as well. I hope you can come!

http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?topic=9933.0
Virginian
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #449 on: March 13, 2020, 02:53:02 AM »

I rode out to the one, the only Waffle House! Y'all know you love it! You know it's a particularly good one when there's a emergency clinic next door.  ;D The place was empty as folks are living in panic these days....

There was one family behind me, parents and a son and when their tab came I overheard a debate about who had the money to pay. I waved the waitress over and paid their tab. RAOK

Smothered and covered!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: