July 21, 2018, 09:21:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scary.... angry..... and back to scary  (Read 448 times)
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 299
-Receive: 27

Email
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:40:23 PM »

There seems to be a trend (at least with me) for people to tailgate me while I am riding my scooter. I am not talking about following closely but tailgating to the point of not being able to see the bumper in my mirrors. What the ....? I ride at least the speed limit all the time so it is not like I am just farting along. At first I get a little scared but that soon turns to anger but when I realize anger is not going to help the fear returns. I am going to lose against a car or minivan in every case so the anger thing pays no dividends. I used to slow way down to irritate the offender and perhaps persuade them to pass but that rarely works. I guess the only thing to do is to find a safe place to pull off and let the ...hole go by. Has anyone else experienced this dangerous situation? As a fellow rider I just want to warn all of you to be careful and always be aware of what is going on behind you as well as watching up ahead. I know this is basic information and maybe a no brainer but it bears mentioning.
TM1(SS)
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2013 Vespa GTS300ie Super, BMW K1600GTL

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 20

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:06:07 PM »

I spend a great deal of time pulling over to let the more hurried folks pass, plus gives me a chance to top off my coffee, get a shot of water perhaps eat some M&Ms, check for missed calls tehn get right back on the road :-)  I am occasionally in a hurry, so I figure other folks are too, I let them pass

Better to scoot through a tornado than be at work!
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 63

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 12:23:39 AM »

Silver,
I think the question isn't " Has anyone else experienced this dangerous situation? "  But rather; has anyone NOT experienced this dangerous situation?   Yesterday I was riding along a short section here through a posher area which has about 6 speed bumps along a straight section as a means to encourage lower speeds. Someone driving a smaller pickup started getting too close for comfort at each speed bump. So for the next 4 or so  I didn't slow and rode the bumps faster than the pick up could. By the time I reached the intersection where I would be turning left the pickup went into the right turn lane. And since there was no through traffic on their green light, the pickup just kept going around the right turn (on the red light). We have the turn right turn on a red light law here ... but you are supposed to stop first. Guess she missed driver-ed they day of that lesson.  These people are everywhere.  Be sure not to leave your patience at home when out on the road.
Mike
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 12:27:23 AM »

Great advice..........thanks to all.
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 17

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:45:28 PM »

When I lived in Northern Virginia, I saw instances of rude and discourteous driving very prevalent and it didn’t make any difference if I was riding or driving. Now that I am retired and living in a part of the country with far fewer residence and a slower pace in life, I rarely notice the same boorish behavior behind the wheel. In essence, the more drivers per square mile, the higher instance of bleepy driving will occur.

CelticCross
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 80
-Receive: 136

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 06:49:51 AM »

Traffic is so heavy in the city over here and lane-splitting is norm I, generally have a quick solution. Even on the highway I can, usually, get away by changing lanes and hitting the brakes (when safe to do so) forcing them to pass me. Gutsy move but better than being a tread tester.

__
Don
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:57:07 AM »

Tread tester.......LOL. After thinking about it a moment that is exactly what it amounts to. Thanks for the laugh and the post.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 220

generic

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 02:36:48 AM »

Being tailgated while on a motorbike has most likely been a concern since cars were made of wood and motorbikes were what the name implies, though I couldn't speak to whether frequency of such has increased or if scooters are more susceptible than other motorbikes. Leaning toward paranoia, I don't discount the possibility there is a recently formed plot against you, scooters or all motorbikes in general. Seen from behind or head on most drivers would be hard pressed to tell a scoot from a cycle and I doubt a pretty fair percentage could tell a Goldwing from a Vespa from any angle. Unless things have changed I recollect NC is one of the states no drivers license or tags required for mopeds or 50cc scoots which an abundance of those losing their license because of DWI's took advantage of to such a degree such were called 'Liquor Cycles'. An increase in incidences since swapping to a scooter could possibly be that a number of drivers are able to distinguish a scoot from a cycle but not a 50cc scoot from a maxi-scoot and in tailgating mistakenly believe they are F*ing toying with someone with numerous DWI's on a 'Liquor Cycle'?
   Anyway, I can attest that you aren't the only one being tailgated though possibly more frequently than I am. Twenty year or so ago I was discussing the subject with a rider and he said he carried a pocket full of pennies in his jacket, that a few tossed in the air discouraged tailgating but I never tried it. He was a big ole cantankerous fellow few were apt to trifle with and he rode with most of of the few.
  I reckon whatever you have to do to separate yourself from them was the best advise, even if you have to pull over and stretch your legs a bit, take in the scenery. If it continues to be excessive I suggest somehow getting positioned along side, see if there is a picture of you and scooter taped to their dashboard.

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 23

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:37:19 AM »

I tend to either speed up or if they persist I give a back waving motion with my left hand followed by a strong thumbs up if they back off. I once had a BMW driver pass me, and my wife riding passenger, on a residential two land street by racing down the right of our lane. We were doing the speed limit, but he had to pass us by and put us in danger.

People are self-righteous and reckless.

- Wolf
Easyrider
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 7

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »

Just a word of caution, newer cars with auto drive assist are having problems seeing motorcycles/scooters on the road ahead. Especially if you drive more than three feet on either side of your lane center. The vehicle behind you may run you over if it is traveling at a faster speed than you. Owners are not reading their owners manual that states they need to keep both hands on the wheel even when in automatic driving mode. Be safe while out there.
Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 06:11:30 PM »

Good advice........thanks.
Scootered
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »

I get tailgated a lot. Every day. Constantly.

To the point that I'm seriously thinking about getting a set of iron-on reflective letters to put on the back of my jacket.

Like this:

If I didn't think it might actually make these stupid drivers pull up even closer to read it, I'd go on ahead and order several sets. One for each jacket.

Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »

I've never seen anything like that before. You may have a great idea there. Anything we can do would help. Thank you for your time and idea.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 220

generic

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 12:34:40 AM »

I get tailgated a lot. Every day. Constantly.

To the point that I'm seriously thinking about getting a set of iron-on reflective letters to put on the back of my jacket.

If I didn't think it might actually make these stupid drivers pull up even closer to read it, I'd go on ahead and order several sets. One for each jacket.

While such might inspire more responsible folk to consider the situation and make corrections I am inclined toward believing the second sentence applicable. While everyone is subject to momentary lapses in judgement we also share the road with those too young, unable or unwilling to understand respect for others or ramification of actions. My opinion, worst you can do is attract the attention of psychopaths, sociopaths, chemically altered, mentally unstable, etc. who just might see it as a challenge. 
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 97

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »

Had a white Ford tailgating me for about 3 miles on a two lane road last night. Almost hit me at a red light, her big hurry was to get to a little league game. Idiot.
Scootered
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 04:34:20 PM »

I've been thinking about my jacket-enhancement idea...

Given the state of today's electronics development, and how easy it is to include in gear (helmets with LEDs in them that light up when you brake, and that sort of thing) for safety purposes, I was wondering how difficult it would be to design and create a fabric placard that attached with snaps or velcro to the back of the jacket that had "BACK OFF - TOO CLOSE" in LED lights or electroluminescent letters. Run the switch down the arm, and have it in hand where it could be activated on demand. There would be no lettering to cause stupid drivers to pull up closer to read them, but when they got close enough it would light up brightly to tell them to back off.

I'm going to have to give this some more thought. I think I might be on to something.

klaviator
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Yamaha Smax, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 32
-Receive: 42

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 04:45:50 PM »

Silver,
I think the question isn't " Has anyone else experienced this dangerous situation? "  But rather; has anyone NOT experienced this dangerous situation? 

I can't remember that last time I noticed someone tailgating me.  Generally the biggest issue with drivers around me is that most of them are semi comatose while "driving".  Most of them can't seem to figure out which pedal makes the car go faster.  I very seldom experience aggressive drivers.  Of course I happen to be lucky enough to live in a city rated as one of the safest to drive in the USA.

I ride, therefore I am
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 97

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 10:45:18 PM »

I was wearing hi vis jacket and helmet with aux brake light and hi vis tape on the top box. Did not help. She only saw me in the way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: