July 21, 2018, 09:30:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 Yamaha Xmax 300  (Read 772 times)
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: '18 Yamaha Xmax 300, '14 Vespa 946, '81 Vespa P200e

Thank You
-Given: 86
-Receive: 46

Email
« on: May 10, 2018, 10:00:56 PM »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I thought I would try to contribute here with some of my thoughts on some of my scoots. I saw the announcement thread on the Xmax, this is more of a short/long term review.

Eric

Whelp,

I purchased this scooter to fill the gap between the 155cc Vespa and the 1,000cc FZ-10. The FZ-10 to me is pretty much and old man/woman's sport bike with an upright sitting position and my last run on a sport bike. The Vespa 946 just works on many levels for me and it will most likely outlive all others in my garage. The Xmax is a real treat for me to have a scooter that zips along comfortably at 70+ and will make a good companion for some of my scooting adventures.

This thread will be the pros and cons of this particular bike and maybe a few modifications, the rest of the adventures on 2 wheels will be posted in the Meanderings thread. Famous last words, but I should be good to go for quite some time. I'm rather embarrassed that I bought it as I sold off a few things around the house to foot the bill. I feel a tad bit greedy having a m/c and 2 scoots so I was just being kind of quiet about it. After some thought, I just said to heck with it and went ahead and posted it here.

This scoot will do 100 mph (unverified by GPS yet) so freeway riding at 75 - 85 are no worries. The older I get, the more I'm enjoying scooters... The functionality of 45L of storage under the seat, (in this case) 75 mpg, weather protection that is hard to beat, add a topcase and dry bag and I can carry more than most bikes if you so desire. Throw in ABS and traction control and you have damn good and cheap reliable transportation.

The specs:
Engine - Type 292cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, SOHC single cylinder; 4 valves
Bore x Stroke70.2mm x 75.9mm
Compression Ratio - 10.9:1
Fuel Delivery - Fuel Injection
IgnitionTCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission - Automatic CVT
Final Drive - V-Belt
Suspension / Front - 33mm telescopic fork; 4.3-in travel
Suspension / Rear - Dual shocks; 3.1-in travel
Brakes / Front - Hydraulic disc, 267mm; ABS
Brakes / Rear - Hydraulic disc, 245mm; ABS
Tires / Front - 120/70-15 Dunlopģ Scoot Smart
Tires / Rear - 140/70-14 Dunlopģ Scoot Smart
L x W x H86.0 in x 30.5 in x 55.7 in Ė 57.7 in
Seat Height31.3 in
Wheelbase - 60.6 in
Rake - (Caster Angle)26.5į
Trail - 3.7 in
Maximum Ground Clearance - 5.3 in
Fuel Capacity - 3.4 gal
Fuel Economy - 75 mpg
Wet Weight - 397 lb

I present to you the new Xmax 300.

(more to come)

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »

Here were a few of my thoughts during the decision process. I stopped by my local dealer today and poked around the Xmax. It really is a nice scooter and fit & finish is quite good in my uneducated opinion.

Here's a couple of pics and some random thoughts I had.

Huge butt on it and I like it.

Stock winkers are from the same old parts bin Yamaha has just for U.S. bikes. They just keep slapping these same signals on a lot of their bikes for the U.S.

There are some really good posts on this ADV thread about how to mount a nav or smartphone. At first glance the cladding on the handlebars seems problematic.

I'm 6'4" tall with a 34" inseam and had no issues with knees hitting the bar or being able to flatfoot the bike.

At full lock the bars get close but my knees still clear.

Huge storage under the seat!

There was a sticker on the left side of the fairing that said "Blue Core"?? I'm not sure what that's all about?

***Edited to add, here's the poop on the Blue Core***
https://global.yamaha-motor.com/showroom/bluecore/en/
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 10:02:23 PM »

And here's some initial reactions and thoughts about this bike at a whopping 100 miles into it.

Here are a couple of tidbits that may or may not help someone in their decision to purchase the Xmax in no particular order.

First, where is this scoot made? The first and second characters in the VIN number tell you what country your vehicle is made in. In the Xmax's case it's MH which means it was produced in Indonesia.

Here's a guide if you wish to check your other vehicles.

The key fob (a first for me) has a single button on it that is multi-purposed. If you hit the button when parked and locked you will get an audible tone and the 4 winkers will flash to assist in locating your bike in a parking lot. You have the ability to turn the fob off and on by depressing the button and a LED indicator light will flash. You get two keys with the bike, be sure to attach one to the fob in the event of a malfunction of the fob you can still get back on the road.
- Short flash (0.1 seconds) the fob is on
- Long flash (0.5 seconds) the fob is off

To operate the bike you must be within 30" of the ignition, so roughly the width of the handlebars and imagine a circle around them.

There's a well hidden key lock to open the seat in the event of fob failure. It is located on the right side covered by a rubber cap.

My personal thoughts on the keyless fob are mediocre at best. Sure, it performs flawlessly and is really convenient but my area of concern is when is doesn't perform and I'm on the road and in inclimate conditions. Given the choice I would rather have a plain old key and take another $100 (?) off the price. I think there's better technology out there in the market today like the Kymco's that utilize bluetooth to your phone for a multitude of info going on with your scoot. Just my .02 cents...

Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »

The tires that came on mine are Dunlop Scoot Smarts. I've never heard of them before?

They are made in Indonesia as well... It will be interesting to see how these tires do. The stock ones that came on my Smax were mediocre to bad in wet conditions and didn't prove to be good on longevity as well. I want to say those tires were made in Taiwan. (?) I'll report as I put some miles on them. From what I've read they get pretty good reviews.

Under seat storage is a mystery or my googlefu is weaksauce today but for the life of me I cannot find the liter measurement of the capacity of the storage. Some say 41L and another says 45L. What I do know is it will hold and close with two XL (fat head) AGV full face helmets.

If you take a look at this picture it shows cutouts for the crown of the helmet. Basically it's exposed seat foam so it has some give, which is a good thing. So if you have a very tight load it will flex a little to accommodate.

Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 10:04:18 PM »

The muffler shrouds and various parts of the bike are cladded in this interesting design. Here's a picture of the muffler shroud.

Oh! I forgot to mention on the under-seat storage. See these two slots in this picture? They are incorporated into the underseat storage to accommodate a travel bag Yamaha sells.

Here's a look at the bag.

And of course Yamaha makes (Givi as well) a right decent tunnel bag that I highly recommend.

Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »

The minimal tool kit is stored under the seat and attached by a thick rubber O-ring. When you remove the tool kit, the O-ring will pop off and possibly get misplaced, so keep an eye on it.

Two hex keys, screwdriver that pulls out and has a blade on the other side and a spanner wrench to adjust the suspension. The adjustment points are very easy to reach and can be adjusted on the fly.

The LED lights are brilliant! And!!! (unlike most other Yamahas) they both light up on low beam.

The rear LED tail lamp has knockouts where the rest of the world get integrated LED winkers, the U.S. gets the Tupperware lollipop turd signals. Yes, I meant to say turd. lol I will make the Euro conversion later on down the road and post here the modification.

Oil fill is very easy to get to and there's a sight window to check the oil level.

As well is the oil filer to access.

So there's a few of my thoughts and I hope it helps someone on the scooter journey in life. Like others have said, I have gotten so much invaluable info off of the m/c community, I try very hard to give back with solid info for other to make an educated decision.

Eric
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 10:05:40 PM »

I was out buzzing around today and just about burned up the first tank of gas. 77.9 mpg and on my last bar on the gauge that should start blinking soon. So as of now roughly 200 mile range on a tank.
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »

Navigation for a bike was invented for me. I get lost in my neighborhood...

So I ordered a kit Yamaha makes for this scooter to get USB power up by the bars and provide a rail to install what you like.

Removed the cover that center over the bars.

Now's the time if you want to moved the handlebars back which I did do.

Be sure to use antisieze for the threads on the handlebar clamp.

Done.

Install the rubber housing for the USB then pop in the actual USB. Be sure to orient the USB plug so it's set up the way you normally plug in your cables.

Thread the wire down through the forks and bolt it in. The tuning fork cap acts a waterproof cap when not in use.

Peel off the Tupperware off the front.

minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 88

Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 12:23:26 AM »

Thanks for sharing and great visuals.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 323
-Receive: 729

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 01:15:12 AM »

Thanks for sharing all the info!   Iím looking to get a smaller scoot again and this is great information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 01:17:49 AM »

Thanks for sharing and great visuals.

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing all the info!   I’m looking to get a smaller scoot again and this is great information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for the kind words. I have a lot more to share, just didn't want to spam your nicely run website on my first day. ;)

Eric
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

While I had the nose apart and access to the battery I installed a fused battery charging connector. I'll thread that down so more on that later.

I removed the mirrors to access the ability to move the handlebars back and then removed the adjustable windshield to the top position.

Move these 4 bolts to the lower location.

Bolt on the windshield bracket, good to go.

Pop off the panel on the left side after you removed the screws and push buttons. In this pic is the faux blank where the LED signal goes when I get them.

Here's a peek at the scoot's business end behind the panels.

Locate this connector here that powers the 12V adapter in the left glove box. 

Install your splitter and plug in your connector for the USP port that you threaded down through the forks.

The battery charging pigtail I ziptied for easy access up under the center headlamp.

The bars have been moved back, the windshield has been raised and I have USB power coming from the dash. In this pic you can see the bar to mount accessories to hold your nav or smartphone.

Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 03:08:45 PM »

Time to install the Euro front winkers.

I ordered these connectors that mate with the new front winkers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Sets-x-110-2-pin-Motorcycle-Connectors-Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki-Yamaha/222206064978?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And these (2) flasher relays. I chose these because you can adjust the speed of the flash which is nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Motorcycle-Speed-Adjustable-LED-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Flasher-Relay-12V/282124254337?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The new winker has an incandescent bulb instead of LED. :(

Start peeling up the Tupperware.

I have a set of these nylon pry bars that really help with removing the Tupperware. $4.95 TMD on Amazon as mentioned in the FZ-10 thread.

https://smile.amazon.com/Miayon-Panel-Dashboard-Dismantle-Installer/dp/B00D7XNQHG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525913472&sr=8-3&keywords=nylon+pry+tool

Remove both side panels and remove the stock winkers. The tuning fork badge will cover these holes later.

There's a blank for the winker the rest of the world gets, remove that and install the new winkers. There's a bizarre wedge clip that holds the top of them.

Here's a good look at the left side of the scoot.

I installed the new connectors on a pigtail.

Plug them into the existing flasher relays. (note I'm holding the OEM relay in my left hand as well)

Reassemble.

Install your tuning fork badges, jobs done.

A slight negative is you lose your daytime running lights so when I get more time I'll rethink this and maybe convert these to LED at the same time.

Hope this helps a few folks.

Eric
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 80
-Receive: 136

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »

I checked the local Yamaha site and the only piece of info I found that you didn't have was the Hp. 20.6Kw or just under 28Hp.

No mention of the size of the under-seat storage.

__
Don
alloo
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 83 Kawasaki GPz 500, 05 Kymco Bet&Win250, 05 Burgman 650, Kymco People S200, 03 Suzuki Burgman 400, 07 Suzuki Burgman 400, 05 Vespa GT 200L, 07 Piaggio BV250, 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 03 Suzuki Vstrom 1000, 07 Honda Silverwing ABS 600, 2009 Genuine Stella 2T, 2012 GTX 50 Turbocam, 2010 SYM HD200 EVO, 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, 07 Kymco Xciting 500, 2007 Piaggio MP3 250ie, 2007 Yamaha Majesty, 2018 Yamaha XMAX 300, 2015 Honda NC700 XD

Thank You
-Given: 93
-Receive: 23

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 07:49:37 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Sets-x-110-2-pin-Motorcycle-Connectors-Honda-Kawasaki-Suzuki-Yamaha/222206064978?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And these (2) flasher relays. I chose these because you can adjust the speed of the flash which is nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pin-Motorcycle-Speed-Adjustable-LED-Turn-Signal-Indicator-Flasher-Relay-12V/282124254337?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have a set of these nylon pry bars that really help with removing the Tupperware. $4.95 TMD on Amazon as mentioned in the FZ-10 thread.

https://smile.amazon.com/Miayon-Panel-Dashboard-Dismantle-Installer/dp/B00D7XNQHG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1525913472&sr=8-3&keywords=nylon+pry+tool

Remove both side panels and remove the stock winkers. The tuning fork badge will cover these holes later.

There's a blank for the winker the rest of the world gets, remove that and install the new winkers. There's a bizarre wedge clip that holds the top of them.

Plug them into the existing flasher relays. (note I'm holding the OEM relay in my left hand as well)

Reassemble.

A slight negative is you lose your daytime running lights so when I get more time I'll rethink this and maybe convert these to LED at the same time.

Eric

Are you going to do the rear also?

Aloha,
Al

2018 Yamaha XMAX 300
2015 Honda NC700 XD

Crescit Eundo - It grows as it goes
alloo
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 83 Kawasaki GPz 500, 05 Kymco Bet&Win250, 05 Burgman 650, Kymco People S200, 03 Suzuki Burgman 400, 07 Suzuki Burgman 400, 05 Vespa GT 200L, 07 Piaggio BV250, 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 03 Suzuki Vstrom 1000, 07 Honda Silverwing ABS 600, 2009 Genuine Stella 2T, 2012 GTX 50 Turbocam, 2010 SYM HD200 EVO, 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, 07 Kymco Xciting 500, 2007 Piaggio MP3 250ie, 2007 Yamaha Majesty, 2018 Yamaha XMAX 300, 2015 Honda NC700 XD

Thank You

Email
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »

So I ordered a kit Yamaha makes for this scooter to get USB power up by the bars and provide a rail to install what you like.

Removed the cover that center over the bars.

Now's the time if you want to moved the handlebars back which I did do.

Be sure to use antisieze for the threads on the handlebar clamp.

Done.

Install the rubber housing for the USB then pop in the actual USB. Be sure to orient the USB plug so it's set up the way you normally plug in your cables.

Thread the wire down through the forks and bolt it in. The tuning fork cap acts a waterproof cap when not in use.

Peel off the Tupperware off the front.

I have one of these installed and ended up getting a ROAM Cell phone mount on Amazon for $10. Works well.

https://www.roamusa.com/products/new-roam-co-pilot-bike-phone-mount
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »

I checked the local Yamaha site and the only piece of info I found that you didn't have was the Hp. 20.6Kw or just under 28Hp.

No mention of the size of the under-seat storage.

The specs on this scoot are somewhat of a mystery as you found out. I'm not sure why as it has been available in other parts of the globe for a little while. I found one source that stated 41L storage and a couple stated 45L, so my statement may be incorrect and I'll amend if it's wrong. Thanks for posting the hp.
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »

Reassemble.

Eric

Are you going to do the rear also?

Yes, I have all the parts and just need to find the time to do the install. I'll post a 'how to' if any interest?
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 08:00:50 PM »

I have one of these installed and ended up getting a ROAM Cell phone mount on Amazon for $10. Works well.

https://www.roamusa.com/products/new-roam-co-pilot-bike-phone-mount

Good stuff! Thanks for posting and at $10 you can't beat that with a stick.

Eric
alloo
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 11:05:46 AM »

I noticed in the EU/UK Yamaha XMAX 300 service intervals are 6000 miles while in the USA the service intervals are 4000 miles. Can anyone  tell me why? It's not because one is in Kilometers. Is Yamaha Motors USA trying to rip us off? The bikes are the same in both countries aren't they?

The Honda Forza 300 has 8000 mile service intervals in both countries.
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 01:38:00 AM »

Nothing exciting this post but I installed a rear rack and topcase. Pretty standard stuff here, remove 5 bolts and lift the bucket out from under the seat.

Bolt the new rack on, there's also 4 cross thread screws that anchor the body panels to the rack.

I felt this was notable that the bolt areas have a weep hole for water to drain before you put the rubber caps on. .

Jobs done.

Pop on the topcase and I'm good to go.

On a side note the stock grab rails that are painted to match the scoot are cheap thin plastic. As in if you muscled a load on the seat with rokstraps I would expect them to crack.

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 80
-Receive: 136

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 06:30:32 AM »

See how easy it is, Maggie, and there's SO MUCH MORE room for carrying things. 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 03:48:21 PM »

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 03:50:07 PM »

Nice job and workmanship.   

For newbies, Iím the one person in the world that canít stand a top box.   
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 04:09:15 PM »

Nice job and workmanship.  

For newbies, Iím the one person in the world that canít stand a top box.    

Actually I agree and I roll 90% of the time without it but when i give a ride there's no replacing a backrest and when I need to haul a load it's great to have the extra space. That said, it looks terrible!

alloo
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 05:32:41 PM »

Can't live without a Top Case aka Nerd Box! Installed a Givi! Also pictured is the European Tall Screeen. At 4000 miles, the engine has loosened up! Slower but smoother with the Tall Windscreen and my fat butt. Driven in snow and ice the ABS and Traction Control work great.

Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »

Can't live without a Top Case aka Nerd Box! Installed a Givi! Also pictured is the European Tall Screeen. At 4000 miles, the engine has loosened up! Slower but smoother with the Tall Windscreen and my fat butt. Driven in snow and ice the ABS and Traction Control work great.

Looks great!
alloo
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 05:42:06 PM »

Front View! Easy to install.

Dpl96
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 04:22:40 AM »

Great review and intro.....
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 88

Email
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »

Can't live without a Top Case aka Nerd Box!

I can't imagine NOT having a top case, even though they are ugly. The only good looking one I've ever seen has been the Corbin, but for $750-$800, I'll deal with ugly utility. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: