November 14, 2018, 04:41:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adventure Touring  (Read 518 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 315
-Receive: 761

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: May 01, 2018, 04:37:47 AM »

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/04/30/best-adventure-motorcycles/

I really like the African Twin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 361

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »

I think if I were to go off road I would want a lighter bike than most of those shown.  Agree with you about the Africa Twin, I like it's looks and from what I've read it's fairly easy to handle.  As far as riding down a fire road, as the article suggests, really almost any motorcycle will do that.  I've taken my Ninja 650 down a few of those... didn't like it but I made it.

Practicing Normite.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 53
-Receive: 234

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »

Ask Akforza (Kelly) how he likes his Triumph Tiger 800 as an adv. tourer.  And I really liked the 650 Vstrom.  Both are nimble, light bikes that do well on the gravel, due to longer suspensions.  The Triumph has more power, by a long shot, though.  The Honda Africa Twin has been around is a few different configurations, but mostly aimed at the more hard core offroaders.  This one may address a wider audience, so to speak.

Greg
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 250 savage, Kawa 500 triple, Honda Forza, Triumph Tiger 800 xc

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 27

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 10:59:22 PM »

Well I'm a triumph bigot so that alone should discredit my thoughts on the matter! I too like the AT but for one reason lower first gear. I think over the Triumph in the dirt, but reports on road tell me I'll stick with the Bike I have. The xc was a good choice despite the 21" front wheel its road capability is awesome and as for fire roads with potholes, washboard and loose gravel I've caught myself looking down at the speedo and surprised to see 65 mph then looking up to see where  Greg was in front of me. With grip suspension and balance Id say any DS bike instilling that level of control and confidence in those conditions is a keeper.

Kelly
2014 Honda Forza, 2014 Tiger 800xc SE
2004 Seaswirl Striper WA HT 200 HP Merc
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 05:52:52 PM »

Well I'm a triumph bigot so that alone should discredit my thoughts on the matter! I too like the AT but for one reason lower first gear. I think over the Triumph in the dirt, but reports on road tell me I'll stick with the Bike I have. The xc was a good choice despite the 21" front wheel its road capability is awesome and as for fire roads with potholes, washboard and loose gravel I've caught myself looking down at the speedo and surprised to see 65 mph then looking up to see where  Greg was in front of me. With grip suspension and balance Id say any DS bike instilling that level of control and confidence in those conditions is a keeper.

Hey, Kelly.  Yup, I'm with you.  My personal opinion is that there are a lot of good bikes out there in the adventure tour genre, but some are priced way too high and some, I think, are just too "high tech-y.". As you all know, I'm a Vstrom nut, but it's not without reason.  The Vstrom is a very capable motorcycle, both on the pavement and off.  But it's not a dirt bike by any stretch of the imagination.  Kelly and I charged down some unpaved roads pretty hard, as he said, then Denali Hwy, for one, and yes, there were some times when we were doing 65-70!  Both of us had confidence in our bikes.  I think his Triumph Tiger 800 XC se was the better of the two, though, in terms of power and technology.  It was 5 years newer than my Vstrom.  My assessment is that however good these new bikes are, I think they simply cost too much to take them out on the gravel or dirt.  That plastic is expensive!!  Oh, and yeah, the Honda AT looks pretty good.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »

Here are some shots of adventure touring with Kelly/AKforza.

On the Hatcher Pass Road and the Denali Hwy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: