March 20, 2019, 05:12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's possible new bike purchase.  (Read 1388 times)
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 61

Email
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2018, 05:30:43 AM »

That Beemer's got like 200 horsies doesn't it?
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 92

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2018, 06:57:36 AM »

That Beemer's got like 200 horsies doesn't it?

No, only 165, but it weighs 453 'wet', compared to almost 600lbs for the 'wet' ZX14R.

The S1000R is the slightly detuned 'naked bike' version of the BMW S1000RR sportbike, which is rated at 199 hp.

However, the much lighter BMW S1000R's hp/weight ratio is slightly better than the Kawasaki's, making it equally fast in acceleration up to maybe 120 (0-60 in 2.8 seconds), about where the more aerodynamic, faired, ZX14 will overpower the BMW and start to leave it behind. But, like most, I spend very little time riding at, and above, 120 mph, so who really cares?
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 361

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »

Guzzi is 'out'.

A new development in the BMW S1000R situation is that there may now be a $1500 rebate program applicable to this bike, which if verified tomorrow, will almost certainly put the Beemer in the #1 spot once again, winning out over the Kawasaki.

I'll know which way it goes by Friday at the earliest, Monday afternoon at that latest.

Ha!    Didn't you recently post something about Teresa's R1200R being too fast!?

Those are amazing bikes, the only negative that I've read about is that the motor makes a crazy amount of handlebar buzz at certain rpm's.  Maybe it was only with a specific model using that engine.

Practicing Normite.
realbtl
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: I keep thinking of ones I left off the list so let's just say "A lot" and call it good.

Thank You
-Receive: 31

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2018, 04:55:12 PM »

This sounds a lot like my GSX-S1000, #460 and only 140 hp, 0-60 in low 3 sec. range,  Sounds like fun.

'86 Honda Helix
2016 'Zuk GRX-s1000 (woot!)
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »

Guzzi is 'out'.

A new development in the BMW S1000R situation is that there may now be a $1500 rebate program applicable to this bike, which if verified tomorrow, will almost certainly put the Beemer in the #1 spot once again, winning out over the Kawasaki.

I'll know which way it goes by Friday at the earliest, Monday afternoon at that latest.

Ha!    Didn't you recently post something about Teresa's R1200R being too fast!?

Those are amazing bikes, the only negative that I've read about is that the motor makes a crazy amount of handlebar buzz at certain rpm's.  Maybe it was only with a specific model using that engine.

From what I've read, BMW supposedly 'addressed' the handlebar vibration issue with the 2017 model year. I don't know how successful that effort was, but it's probably not as annoying as previous S1000's we're.

As for it being an irresistible hooligan bike, it would likely be even more seductive than Teresa's R1200R in that regard. Everything about this particular BMW fairly screams "ARREST ME...PLEASE!!!"

So, it will almost certainly challenge my already shakey grasp on responsible riding, but to own and enjoy such a magnificently powerful and competent machine is worth the potential for a little jail time here and there, and remember, it does take the 'geezer factor' into account too, providing cruise-control and heated grips for us oldsters.

JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 05:21:20 AM »

I now have an almost certain buyer for my Honda Shadow Aero, it should be finalized on Monday.

The scales are now tipping more and more in the direction of the BMW, though the Kaw dealer is scrambling to find some factory promo money to sway me back to the ZX14R, but it's hard to turn away from all the nice features of that German bike.

Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 12:12:16 PM »

JB, have you owned a ZX14 before?
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »

Yes, a first generation 2007, about five years ago.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 02:08:08 PM »

Yes, a first generation 2007, about five years ago.

Well then, the BMW would be a new experience.  At least that's how my mind works.  Of course I'm the dope who bought a Versys after owning a Ninja, which share the same motor.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2018, 12:42:24 PM »

I drop off the Indian, and bring home the BMW tomorrow morning (Wednesday).

I'm also having sick thoughts about possibly selling the Guzzi V7, and picking up a used ZX14R or Hayabusa.

Power corrupts.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 182

Email
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »

With some residual skepticism of the deal going through based on recent history, I congratulate you on the Indian for BMW transaction.

Years of bad habits often masquerade as 'experience'
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »

I'm also having sick thoughts about possibly selling the Guzzi V7, and picking up a used ZX14R or Hayabusa.

Power corrupts.

Cool beans!  Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the new ride, that is, if the power doesn't go to your head!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 61
-Receive: 244

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »

Power corrupts.

Cool beans!  Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the new ride, that is, if the power doesn't go to your head!

We might have to wait for a post until his eyeballs roll back to the front so he can see!!

Greg
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: