October 17, 2018, 10:00:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's possible new bike purchase.  (Read 1340 times)
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 90

Email
« on: April 10, 2018, 12:14:45 AM »

When a dealer offers a trade-in value only $250 less than I'd sell the bike outright for, it gets my attention, and for some reason I don't understand, the ZX14R is $190 less annually to insure than the smaller-engined, less raw horsepower, and only slightly more money to buy, BMW S1000R I was seriously considering.

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 313
-Receive: 755

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:29:53 AM »

That looks sharp!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
freak
RCR
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 6

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 03:12:03 PM »

LOve it !!!!!

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 177

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »

You youngsters and your crotch rockets... :D  Go for it!

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 233

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 05:41:11 PM »

The ZX14R is supposed to be a very good, all around motorcycle.  Loads of fun, good for long distance, and affordable.  Good looking, too.

Greg
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 59

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »

Is that the color you were hot after?
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »

Is that the color you were hot after?

Not at all, but it's what they have. I can get used to it.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 07:21:57 AM »

It's a 'done deal', ended up trading-in BOTH the Indian Vintage and Honda Shadow Aero on the new Kawasaki. Bringing it home tomorrow.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 59

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »

It's a 'done deal', ended up trading-in BOTH the Indian Vintage and Honda Shadow Aero on the new Kawasaki. Bringing it home tomorrow.
Well, noone can accuse you of being one dimensional on your motorcycle purchases.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 02:46:30 PM »

My recollection is you parted with your prior ZX-14 with more regret than other motorcycles you have owned and written about on this forum. Trading the Indian Vintage came as no surprise. Trading the Honda Shadow Aero was a bit more of a surprise, but overall, another chapter in your motorcycle ownership adventures.

We view motorcycling from two different perspectives in short-term vs. long-term ownership, but that's part of the pleasure. Best wishes for many happy miles on your new ride!
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 46
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 03:36:37 PM »

I give it a year, at best. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, though. It will make a nice companion to a scooter, in which case it might be a keeper!

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 361

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 06:54:09 PM »

Congrats and have fun with it!  Love to hear a Crabbypants review at some point.

Practicing Normite.
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 250 savage, Kawa 500 triple, Honda Forza, Triumph Tiger 800 xc

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 27

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 07:57:24 PM »

Congrats JB pics please!

Kelly
2014 Honda Forza, 2014 Tiger 800xc SE
2004 Seaswirl Striper WA HT 200 HP Merc
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 08:23:14 PM »

Congrats and have fun with it!  Love to hear a Crabbypants review at some point.

It will have to wait, the deal 'fell through' over a $500 discrepancy, an unexpected complication that had me returning home, still on the Indian. It was so close, that the Kaw was at the curb, serviced, gassed, and warmed up, just awaiting the temp paper plate, and the Indian was already moved inside to the sales floor. It's my credit union's error, not the dealership. The credit union told me that I would need to put $980 cash into the deal, and I brought $1000 with me, besides the credit union's check for the dealer. But, by the dealer's calculations, I would need something over $1450 to make it all work. I balked at that, and simply stopped the deal at that point, had them bring the Indian back outside, and went home.

Something is still likely to happen, but since then, I'm pretty certain I'll not trade the Honda in along with the Indian for the Kaw, and make a new deal with only the Indian as trade material. I really like that old Honda Aero, and would miss it too much to so easily get rid of it.

It's not entirely dead yet, however, but the next 'window of opportunity' for this transaction won't be until April 28-30.

Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 05:52:09 PM »

Sorry the deal fell through.  There will be other deals, I'm sure.  Same thing happened to me several years ago when I was going to purchase a BMW R1100GS.  The bike was prepped, battery charged, and I was ready to go through with the deal, but then the dealer added some extra charges that bumped the price up too high, so I backed out.  Too bad, as I really liked that bike.
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 10:29:48 PM »

Well that stinks. Better luck next time.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 08:13:16 PM »

Well that stinks. Better luck next time.

I still might get the trade done towards the end of the month.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Receive: 62

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »

Best not to rush and not be forced into an up-sell that you may come to regret.  It is not like you have to make a deal ... so it will be on your terms.  Not the dealers.  The want to make a sale more than you want (or need) the buy.  Do they know your handle on here?  Let them know that nobody takes advantage of  Mr. Crabbypants !  Good luck with this JB.  It is great to be in the driver's seat for something like this.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:57 PM »

If I was rushed, I would have just come up with another $500 and rode out on the new bike.

The dealer is more than fair in their trade-in numbers, the fault for the last minute screwup lies with my credit union not getting their numbers right.

minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 46
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. You now have time to make sure it's not an impulse buy, only to experience some buyers(or sellers) remorse later. You're lucky to have a dealer that is easy to deal with. It seems every time you walk in there, something strikes your fancy and follows you home!
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 01:51:23 AM »

I'm starting to be a bit concerned about buying extremely fast and powerful motorcycles. I can't behave myself on Teresa's 125 hp1200 BMW, much less a 200 hp hyperbike.

I rode her BMW up to Deadwood for coffee today, mostly because I was running late, and it has heated grips. I ran the twenty-five miles up to Sturgis at 85-90 mph, then the ten remaining miles through Boulder canyon at 70-90 mph. I made it up there in record time, and only rode up behind an unseen highway patrol car once on I-90. Luckily for me, he either didn't notice my closing speeds, or just didn't want to bother with me right then.

I don't ride like a crazy bastard, but I do like to zip along when I can. 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »

It was a sign :-)
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 05:27:05 PM »

I really like that old Honda Aero, and would miss it too much to so easily get rid of it.

Glad to read you are reconsidering the Honda trade.
Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 10

Email
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 06:20:50 PM »

I had the same thing happen years ago - had signed papers, had the title, was going to pick up bike on Sat.  Friday dealer called me.  He had offered zero interest from manufacturer.  We had done the deal on the first of the month and the manufacturer offer expired at the end of the previous month, so dealer talked to local bank who wouldn't honor the deal.  We couldn't come to agreeable terms, so I said no thanks. Problem was, we had already signed the manufacturer certificate and all the paperwork.  I didn't want to give them the cert with my name on it, and wouldn't get a title for a bike that I didn't own.  After talking with DMV and attorney, I kept the certificate and told them to get a new one.
Went on to get a different bike. 
A couple years later I meandered into dealer, saw bike, not realizing it was the same one.  I test rode and really liked it.  I went home to think about buying it.  All of a sudden I remembered the previous incident and realized it was the same bike.  The dealer couldn't do anything because he didn't have a certificate/title.  I still had it and the only miles on the bike were from my test ride.  We made a deal and I bought the bike.  When it came time to finalize the paperwork the dealer came clean that he didn't have a certificate/title, but would go to DMV with me.  Not sure if he realized I still had the original docs still.  I came clean after the paperwork was signed.

I ended up with a brand new two year old bike costing several grand less than it would have cost new.  And t was financed at zero interest.  He was happy to get rid of the bike and I was happy to have a new bike.  No problems at DMV.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »

I had the same thing happen years ago - had signed papers, had the title, was going to pick up bike on Sat.  Friday dealer called me.  He had offered zero interest from manufacturer.  We had done the deal on the first of the month and the manufacturer offer expired at the end of the previous month, so dealer talked to local bank who wouldn't honor the deal.  We couldn't come to agreeable terms, so I said no thanks. Problem was, we had already signed the manufacturer certificate and all the paperwork.  I didn't want to give them the cert with my name on it, and wouldn't get a title for a bike that I didn't own.  After talking with DMV and attorney, I kept the certificate and told them to get a new one.
Went on to get a different bike. 
A couple years later I meandered into dealer, saw bike, not realizing it was the same one.  I test rode and really liked it.  I went home to think about buying it.  All of a sudden I remembered the previous incident and realized it was the same bike.  The dealer couldn't do anything because he didn't have a certificate/title.  I still had it and the only miles on the bike were from my test ride.  We made a deal and I bought the bike.  When it came time to finalize the paperwork the dealer came clean that he didn't have a certificate/title, but would go to DMV with me.  Not sure if he realized I still had the original docs still.  I came clean after the paperwork was signed.

I ended up with a brand new two year old bike costing several grand less than it would have cost new.  And t was financed at zero interest.  He was happy to get rid of the bike and I was happy to have a new bike.  No problems at DMV.

A marriage made in heaven, as my friend, Steve likes to say.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2018, 05:53:42 PM »

I'm starting to be a bit concerned about buying extremely fast and powerful motorcycles. I can't behave myself on Teresa's 125 hp1200 BMW, much less a 200 hp hyperbike.

I rode her BMW up to Deadwood for coffee today, mostly because I was running late, and it has heated grips. I ran the twenty-five miles up to Sturgis at 85-90 mph, then the ten remaining miles through Boulder canyon at 70-90 mph. I made it up there in record time, and only rode up behind an unseen highway patrol car once on I-90. Luckily for me, he either didn't notice my closing speeds, or just didn't want to bother with me right then.

I don't ride like a crazy bastard, but I do like to zip along when I can. 

JB, I'm with you here.  There was a time when I liked to rally zip along.  Toward the end of my riding career I started simmering down and tempering my riding style a bit.  I still liked to charge the curves, but found that my attitude had change from how fast I could take a corner to how fast I could take a corner well.  I began concentrating on skill and technique, and found that doing a corner in the best, yet safest manner was still fun and exciting.  I doubt that would change if I ever started back riding again.  Oh, and as I got older I decided that my reaction times were probably not as good as they were several years ago, so I guess it was a matter of erring on the side of caution and safety.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »

It's now between the ZX14, or a new Moto Guzzi Eldorado...

or possibly a...............?
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »

I like Guzzi's.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 02:35:43 AM »

I love Moto Guzzi's!!
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 05:19:10 AM »

Guzzi is 'out'.

A new development in the BMW S1000R situation is that there may now be a $1500 rebate program applicable to this bike, which if verified tomorrow, will almost certainly put the Beemer in the #1 spot once again, winning out over the Kawasaki.

I'll know which way it goes by Friday at the earliest, Monday afternoon at that latest.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: