April 25, 2018, 03:06:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermarket EU turn signal dilemma!  (Read 253 times)
Scootered
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: April 05, 2018, 06:39:39 PM »

I have an unusual question about a set of the EU turn signals to modify the US version 2009 Tmax.

I've found several sets on eBay and on Aliexpress of the LED signals, and a few sets of the bulb signals. My question is this:

Which would be a better, brighter, safer option? The standard LED signals, with integrated LEDs, or the bulb one with an LED bulb?

The reason I ask is, I'm not sure the LED housing is set up the right way to get full reflectivity on the LEDs and I was wondering if merely putting a good-quality LED bulb (from somewhere like superbrightleds.com) into the regular bulb-housing would not be an acceptable substitute...

Anyone have any experience with this, or particular advice to offer?
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 164

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:38:11 PM »

Which would be a better, brighter, safer option? The standard LED signals, with integrated LEDs, or the bulb one with an LED bulb?

The reason I ask is, I'm not sure the LED housing is set up the right way to get full reflectivity on the LEDs and I was wondering if merely putting a good-quality LED bulb (from somewhere like superbrightleds.com) into the regular bulb-housing would not be an acceptable substitute...

Scootered, my preference is the latter, put a good-quality LED bulb in the housing. I have done this a couple times, and on both occasions haven't been satisfied with the integrated LED/housing options. Not a Tmax, but on my FZ-09 I replaced the stock rear turn signals with smaller Yamaha units. But the most important part was the replacements accepted a standard T10 bulb, allowing me to choose from just about any bulb with that type base.

A link to the thread where the modification is documented follows...
link...  FZ-09 Rear Running Lights / Turn Signals

My project went a couple steps farther, changing the light color from amber to red while adding running light functionality to the original turn signal only function. However, the general goal was to increase my motorcycle's visibility to following drivers. A similar modification went to my formerly owned Suzuki TU250X, which brought positive comments from members of a forum focused on that motorcycle.

Hopefully, I have interpreted your question correctly and provided some insight you might find worthwhile.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Scootered
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:57:08 AM »

Scootered, my preference is the latter, put a good-quality LED bulb in the housing. I have done this a couple times, and on both occasions haven't been satisfied with the integrated LED/housing options. Not a Tmax, but on my FZ-09 I replaced the stock rear turn signals with smaller Yamaha units. But the most important part was the replacements accepted a standard T10 bulb, allowing me to choose from just about any bulb with that type base.

A link to the thread where the modification is documented follows...
link...  FZ-09 Rear Running Lights / Turn Signals

My project went a couple steps farther, changing the light color from amber to red while adding running light functionality to the original turn signal only function. However, the general goal was to increase my motorcycle's visibility to following drivers. A similar modification went to my formerly owned Suzuki TU250X, which brought positive comments from members of a forum focused on that motorcycle.

Hopefully, I have interpreted your question correctly and provided some insight you might find worthwhile.

Dang, thats brilliant! (no pun intended)  After thinking about this for the past few days, it occurred to me that I probably am only going to change out the front turn signals, and rewire the rear assembly to work as it was intended, with the turn signals on either side of the running/brake light in the center. Unless, of course it already operates like that, and the pumpkins are just extra lights. I just got the Bill of Sale from the dealer today, and will have my financial institution send them a Cashier's Check tomorrow morning to complete this transaction. Now all I have to do is find another shipper, as the first guy I had lined up is now in the hospital from a minor accident. (unrelated to driving or hauling)

I would never have thought of using those "pumpkins" (great name for them, by the way) for anything other than doorstops.

I also hadn't really planned to change out the rear signal for the LED version, just the bulbs. I am going to have to consult with someone either at superbrightleds.com or a local cycle shop to determine exactly which bulb to use for the brake light. Must be visibly brighter, you know.

Your recommendation is precisely what I didn't know, and that piece of experience is something I would not have had until I'd taken everything apart and done the work, not to mention spent the extra money. I thank you.

On my current ride, I have a small strip (about 6" in length) of very densely spaced red LEDs that only light up when the brakes are applied. This gives a significantly larger amount of light from the rear when the brakes are applied. I wonder if I couldn't do the same mod you've done, and make those pumpkins into extra brake lights?

I'm thinking that something along these lines:

might not be a bad thing to use as brake lights, in the place of the stock lights, with LED bulbs. Now if I could only find them with clear lenses.

They won't be "on" unless the brakes have been applied, so I won't need the third wire.

Thanks for the advice, benefit of your experience, and for that great idea!
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 33

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 05:46:38 AM »

Change out the entire hideous north american stalks for the OEM integrated ones that the entire rest of the world uses.

My actual bike at the dealer:

My bike now:

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, sintered pads, Pirelli Diablos, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, shortened factory mirrors, custom tail tidy, custom graphics, River Road touring luggage side cases, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
Scootered
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 02:25:54 AM »

Change out the entire hideous north american stalks for the OEM integrated ones that the entire rest of the world uses.

Gee, that's exactly what I intended to do! Imagine that!

The question wasn't whether or not it should be done, but which version of the EU signals should be used. The ones with the bulb, or the integrated LED ones.

I'm not finding good enough quality in the LED ones, and will most likely get the ones that require bulbs, but will use an LED bulb.

Problem solved!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: