January 16, 2019, 12:58:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: After the Storm  (Read 390 times)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 57
-Receive: 240

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:43:28 PM »

Winterís almost overójust one more month, but Mother Natureís not quite done.  We got a pretty good snowfall a couple days ago.  Hereís a couple shots of our back yard after it was over.  Interestingly, one minute it was snowing so hard it was like a heavy fog, and 30 minutes later it looked like this!  Shot with Sony A6300 and 16-50 lens.  (Nikon has been sold)

Greg
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 316
-Receive: 781

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 07:45:12 PM »

I don't see a picture.

Now I do!

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 152

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 07:50:14 PM »

I don't see a picture.

I see 2.

__
Don
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »

I don't see a picture.

It's there now.  I started the post with my iPad, and had to finish it with my laptop.  Problems with Photobucket on the iPad.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:52:31 PM »

It's pretty :-)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 08:29:39 PM »

It's pretty :-)

It’s hard to believe that it was snowing that hard and half an hour later the sky was blue and the sun was shining.  Crazy.  It’s snowing again this morning.  Groan.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 152

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »

I don't see a picture.

It's there now.  I started the post with my iPad, and had to finish it with my laptop.  Problems with Photobucket on the iPad.

I had to get an extension for Chrome to be able to see some/all/any? of the photos on PhotoBucket so I'm not sure the problem lies with your iPad.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 63

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »

Nice snow pictures Greg !  I've just about have forgotten what it looks like.   So far for Feb this year, Halifax has only had 16 cms,,  guess in the real world that is only a bit more than 6".  The normal is 40cms -- about 16 inches.  A real snow drought in NS this winter. The ski hills are struggling to get through with the snow they made in December with the unusually cold we had this year at that time.

Mike
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 06:43:21 PM »

Nice snow pictures Greg !  I've just about have forgotten what it looks like.   So far for Feb this year, Halifax has only had 16 cms,,  guess in the real world that is only a bit more than 6".  The normal is 40cms -- about 16 inches.  A real snow drought in NS this winter. The ski hills are struggling to get through with the snow they made in December with the unusually cold we had this year at that time.

Mike

Mike, we've had very little snow here this winter until recently.  Last month we had a snowfall of about 4" , then a big wind came up and blew it all away!!  This time we got anywhere from 8-12 inches, depending on location.  It snowed again day before yesterday and we got just over an inch.  The snow has dried out, so I suspect we're in for another big wind storm again.

Anchorage, which is 40 miles south of here, sits on the water, so they get more snow than we do, and the local ski area must be doing well.  Alyeska Ski Resort in Girdwood, 35 miles south of Anchorage has gotten even more snow, so I believe they are doing well.  You should grab your skiis and hop on a flight to Anchorage.

sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 63

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 07:53:09 PM »

Greg, you have mentioned Alyeska Ski Resort before ... and it looks like a really fun hill.  Friends from here spend the winter in Rossland BC and ski at Red Mountain there.  They have been coaxing us to come visit there.  The winter here this year almost has us thinking "maybe".  There is a glut of snowblowers in the hardware stores and the guys with plows are going nuts with worry.  Sure hope your storm makes it to us.
Mike
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 01:40:57 AM »

Mike, Alyeska Ski Resort is a good one, and most winters they have plenty snow.  Itís got slopes for all levels.  The Alyeska Princess Hotel has a gondola that goes up right out of the hotel to the lodge near the top of the ski area.  Itís a pretty neat place.  We took our grandson there last winter and had fun.  Not skiing, though.  Hereís a couple shots I took.  The first one is from the top at the lodge, looking down Turnagain Arm in the direction of Anchorage.  The second one is one I took from inside the gondola on the ride up.

Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 29 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 91
-Receive: 71

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 02:03:12 AM »

I had to get an extension for Chrome to be able to see some/all/any? of the photos on PhotoBucket so I'm not sure the problem lies with your iPad.

I believe Greg is a paying member on photobucket and shouldn't have any problems with hosting.
Photobucket has began fighting the add-on that bypasses them blocking direct linking on free accounts.

Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 9
-Receive: 38

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 12:38:15 AM »

That snow looks a whole lot nicer than what we've got to look at ...

This is the Ohio River.  Indiana in the distance.  The river at the right side of this pic is about 1.5 miles from our house.  Happily our elevation is about 130 feet above the river's present level (crested yesterday).  The marked Trail is actually a road.

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 02:38:13 PM »

That looks yucky!
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 97

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »

The yuck comes after all that water recedes.  I was in Kansas City years ago when they flooded. Caskets were poppin' outta the graves....

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 02:11:11 AM »

Here's a better view of the Boat Club:

Added bonus - a view of the McAlpine locks - http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/Portals/64/docs/Ops/Navigation/Booklet_McAlpine.pdf  (we don't need no stinkin' locks now - the river's the same level everywhere)

Louisville exists primarily because of the falls of the Ohio which forced portage.  The river curves from west to south here for a bit so the short route was across the land inside that bend.  Once pioneers were out of their boats, they decided this might be a good place to rest, and a town sprung up.  The falls (no falling presently) are out of view to the left.  The falls were actually about a two mile long, mile and a quarter wide rapid. The river runs over a rocky bottom, and the descent is gradual - the fall is about twenty-six feet overall.  A dam, not visible in this view, maintains the pool of the Ohio River for 75 miles upstream to Markland dam & locks.  When the river's low one can venture onto the "rocky bottom" behind the dam via the Falls of the Ohio State Park on the Indiana side (https://www.fallsoftheohio.org/).
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 02:39:01 AM »

The yuck comes after all that water recedes.  I was in Kansas City years ago when they flooded. Caskets were poppin' outta the graves....

It's incredible, and the news media delights in showing all the trash it can.  Folks not subject to this type of flooding generally don't realize that it's not just crap already floating in the river, but the water from upstream and locally goes into all manner of places it doesn't normally go, and it picks up all the loose trash that's been legally and illegally set aside or tossed out in those places.  Anything you can imagine that floats (like say, refrigerators, porta potties, docks, trees - you name it) are likely to be deposited as the water recedes.  And tons of mud that's been eroded from the places not normally subjected to the erosion of rapidly flowing water.  And, of course, then there are the sanitary sewers, septic tanks, etc. whose contents are set "free".  The concept of "infinite dilution" only works to a point. 
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 03:09:37 AM »

Just got this from our Public Works guy on Indian Hills Trail.  You DO NOT want to be here on two wheels.

(This is after the trash was cleared off)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 04:44:31 AM »

That looks really bad.  Nothing good comes from that flooding.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 04:46:05 AM »

I believe Greg is a paying member on photobucket and shouldn't have any problems with hosting.
Photobucket has began fighting the add-on that bypasses them blocking direct linking on free accounts.

Well, I’m a member of Photobucket, but not a paying member.  Maybe I should look into that.  Perhaps that would make things easier.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 105

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 02:42:27 PM »

Thanks for the photos, that is one of my favorite urban roads to get to the river, but not this week.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: