June 26, 2019, 04:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another 2018 Gold Wing Review  (Read 360 times)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 250

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« on: January 30, 2018, 06:46:34 AM »

Here’s an actual riding review of the new ‘18 Gold Wing by Fred Harmon, in Wing Stuff.

http://wingstuff.com/blog_detail/66013_2018_gold_wing_first_ride_review_by_fred_harmon

Greg
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 105

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:49:51 AM »

It sounds as though it was written by the Honda PR department. There isn't room for two peoples clothes for a two week trip  unless they are traveling with one days worth of clothes.  Heck-most womens make up cases wouldn't fit in there. Anyone that's riding on the back has to sit almost spread eagle-I'm sure that's just peachy for a long ride. The admin on the GoldwingDocs site posted his thoughts-with pictures:
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41222

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »

It sounds as though it was written by the Honda PR department. There isn't room for two peoples clothes for a two week trip  unless they are traveling with one days worth of clothes.  Heck-most womens make up cases wouldn't fit in there. Anyone that's riding on the back has to sit almost spread eagle-I'm sure that's just peachy for a long ride. The admin on the GoldwingDocs site posted his thoughts-with pictures:

The fellow, if memory serves me correctly, is a long time Gold Winger, and I think I remember his name from the days when I was on a couple Gold Wing forums.

But I agree, it’s a great PR piece.  In thinking about this new Gold Wing, I believe that Honda has realized that its traditional market has been waning and that riders are looking for more modern, higher performing motorcycles.  Further, it would appear that classic long distance motorcycle touring is beginning to lose its allure.  Most Gold Wing riders are older, and as we age, we tend less and less to participate in long distance riding.  Face it, that sort of activity is hard on an older body.  And since most younger riders aren’t prone to buy bikes like a Gold Wing, preferring to ride faster, better handling motorcycles.  Another problem for Honda is that the “adventure touring” genre is becoming more and more popular.  I know I really enjoyed my Vstrom, a fairly radical departure from the Wing.  Anyway, as a result, I think Honda has had to rethink its position in the touring motorcycle segment.  Now Honda has released this slimmed down “Gold Wing light,” which ought to appeal to a somewhat younger set of riders.  They hope.

As for luggage capacity and comfort, only time will tell how comfortable it actually is, and, if Honda’s claims that riders are more interested in 2-3 day tours than very long distance tours are accurate, they may have made a good move.  The comfort, or lack of it, will be reflected in the aftermarket seat industry.

Time will tell how it really is.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 92

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:35:58 PM »

It sounds as though it was written by the Honda PR department. There isn't room for two peoples clothes for a two week trip  unless they are traveling with one days worth of clothes.  Heck-most womens make up cases wouldn't fit in there. Anyone that's riding on the back has to sit almost spread eagle-I'm sure that's just peachy for a long ride. The admin on the GoldwingDocs site posted his thoughts-with pictures:

The fellow, if memory serves me correctly, is a long time Gold Winger, and I think I remember his name from the days when I was on a couple Gold Wing forums.

But I agree, it’s a great PR piece.  In thinking about this new Gold Wing, I believe that Honda has realized that its traditional market has been waning and that riders are looking for more modern, higher performing motorcycles.  Further, it would appear that classic long distance motorcycle touring is beginning to lose its allure.  Most Gold Wing riders are older, and as we age, we tend less and less to participate in long distance riding.  Face it, that sort of activity is hard on an older body.  And since most younger riders aren’t prone to buy bikes like a Gold Wing, preferring to ride faster, better handling motorcycles.  Another problem for Honda is that the “adventure touring” genre is becoming more and more popular.  I know I really enjoyed my Vstrom, a fairly radical departure from the Wing.  Anyway, as a result, I think Honda has had to rethink its position in the touring motorcycle segment.  Now Honda has released this slimmed down “Gold Wing light,” which ought to appeal to a somewhat younger set of riders.  They hope.

As for luggage capacity and comfort, only time will tell how comfortable it actually is, and, if Honda’s claims that riders are more interested in 2-3 day tours than very long distance tours are accurate, they may have made a good move.  The comfort, or lack of it, will be reflected in the aftermarket seat industry.

Time will tell how it really is.

I think this is a very close analysis of Honda's approach to the current, and near-future, touring market, and I feel that the new GL was a good move to address that segment.

I'm not in the market for an open-class, mega-buck, touring bike, but if I was, it'd be the new Goldwing.

But then again, I'm more than willing to ride my little Guzzi V7 on a two week tour, equipped with only a set of soft bags and an old school tank bag, so having a bike that can pack fourteen rented tuxedos and a rubber raft in the tail trunk just isn't a big deal to me
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 63

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 04:40:51 AM »

But then again, I'm more than willing to ride my little Guzzi V7 on a two week tour, equipped with only a set of soft bags and an old school tank bag, so having a bike that can pack fourteen rented tuxedos and a rubber raft in the tail trunk just isn't a big deal to me

Then you'll be glad to hear they cut the storage down substantially on the new Gold Wing.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:20:25 AM »

All I can say is that if you’re only going to be gone for an overnighted, you don’t need to pack a ton of stuff.  Were I to get back into riding again, and wanted a bike for overnighters, the new Wing would appeal to me a lot.  I also like a bike that handles very well, and this one allegedly satisfies that requirement.  The big drawback is the price of admission, and that alone would keep a Gold Wing out of my garage.  My Vstrom was a very capable tourer (even long distance) and was a good handler.  There are a number of other, reasonably priced motorcycles out there that would fit the bill, as well.

I think Honda has done well with this new Gold Wing, and even though it may appeal to a younger set of riders, I think it’s market may still be a small segment.
JBCrabbypants
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 92

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 09:46:36 PM »

Then you'll be glad to hear they cut the storage down substantially on the new Gold Wing.

To me, it's a small sacrifice to get a lighter, better performing GL. The main reason we sold our 2008 GL last fall was it's 900+ pounds. The only reason I won't be buying the new one is the price.

If I was in that market, I guess I don't know if I'd pick the new GL or a BMW RT though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: