October 22, 2014, 02:11:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kymco Xciting 250 RI Variator weights  (Read 2559 times)
Orettes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

« on: October 27, 2010, 10:34:49 PM »

I am looking for increased take off power and potential speed enhancements for my 2009 Kymco Xciting 250Ri. I was thinking of starting with the Variator pulley weights. Does anyone  know what the weight of the stock rollers in the variator are? What are the best upgrade weight for performance? Weight brand- Dr. Pulley some other brand?
What are the other mechanical upgrades that people have perform on the Kymco Xciting 2520ri? Are any worth the performance enhancement?

Thanks
Orettes
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 160
-Receive: 458

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:16:09 PM »

The perfect person to speak with is Matt at Scooter Trap.  He is an expert and glad to help.

http://www.scootertrap.com/contact%20us.htm

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
TechGuy
Scooter Commuter
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Kymco People 250

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 8

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 06:15:30 AM »

According to the online parts catalogs, the Xciting has the same OEM rollers as my People 250 and I am using the SR2318 in the 21g weight and I love then.

This was my last invoice for then:

Buggy Parts NW
6556 SW Firlock Way Suite 6
Portland, OR 97223

1     Dr. Pulley Slider Weight for 250cc - 21g - 23x18 (Weight: ; )     UNI-SR-23X18-21G     $35.00     $35.00

SubTotal :    $35.00
Shipping and Handling Fee :    $5.00
Tax Total :    $0.00
Total:    $40.00

Daboo
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 12

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:30:55 AM »

The perfect person to speak with is Matt at Scooter Trap.  He is an expert and glad to help.

http://www.scootertrap.com/contact%20us.htm

I could be wrong, but I think Matt no longer carries the Dr. Pulley (Union Material) products.

Chris

Barak - 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 (AN400K7) with Givi AF266 Airflow, Grip Puppies, Beaded Seat Cushion, DPS & HiT Clutch.
Highest MPG=74.4  Current MPG Avg.=64  48,000+
True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder to 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 160
-Receive: 458

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 02:35:43 PM »

Regardless what he carries he is an expert... and so worth bending his ear if upgrading is a consideration.

He helped me immensely when I upgraded up Bet & Win!

msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - ZG1000; Xciting 500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 152
-Receive: 189

generic

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 04:30:17 PM »

Anyone know the story with Dr. Pulley, doesn't appear anyone in the U.S. carry the products anymore?

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
Daboo
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 09:45:15 PM »

See TechGuy's post above.  Buggy Parts NW carries them and at a very good price.

Chris
TechGuy
Scooter Commuter
Scooter Senior

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 07:00:26 PM »

Paul @ Union Material personally recommended NW Buggy and you can send Paul an email directly and order them from Taiwain if you would prefer. When I ordered from NW, I had them in two days.
Orettes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 12:40:35 AM »

Thanks everyone!

Questions for TechGuy: When you changed out the weights did you increase the weight or just replaced with a better quality product. Also what did you see as far as performance?

Thanks
Orettes
TechGuy
Scooter Commuter
Scooter Senior

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »

I simply looked up the weight online at Union Materials site.  This was the weight they called for. It smoothed out the "lull" in the middle of the power band and I feel the top speed is easier to get to.  It doesn't run up to the top speed but it gets there with more confidence. I am a big guy.

I did buy used weights the first time, they showed some wear and I found i installed them incorrectly the first time myself and caused more "incorrect wear". I replaced them with new ones when my belt failed and I had to get into the CVT anyway.

This is the illustration I made after my "learning opportunities" the correct way to install them is not intuitive. They are designed to replace the OEM rollers in a scooter with an OEM variator, clutch, and belt

There are some out there that hate the sliders. I feel many of them have had a bad experience them because they install them incorrectly, they buy the wrong weight and go away from UM's recommendations, or they have changed something else in the the scoot. That means the slider weights need to be changed to accommodate  a iddferent clutch or variaotr ramp or belt or clutch springs or ...and no one really know what the shade tree machanci has done and the "mechanic" doesn't share all the changes he has done to his scoot before he orders the "stock OEM replacement" sliders and gets angry when the vendor says "Well you didn't tell me you were running a Costa variator with a Malossi race clutch with two yellow and one green spring and a Dayco belt."

Daboo
Scooter Senior

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:56:17 AM »

On the new version of the DPS weights, there is a groove on the surface that is supposed to be the "top".  That should help in placement.

Another thing that may help, is to lightly debur or smooth out the edge of the ramp where the DPS weights will travel.  Your drawing shows them at the engine off position, As the rpms increase, the DPS weight will slide to the outside and lift the ramp up.  That outside edge of the ramp that contacts the DPS weight sometimes is so rough and sharp that it simply shaves off the weight surface.  I've done this to mine and after 11,000 miles of use, they still show little wear.

If you install the DPS weights "wrong", you can sometimes get some fun results.     I installed mine wrong once, with the top surface pointing to the outward edge of the variator.  The effect on my Burgman 400 was like adding another 100ccs.  I was shocked when I went to merge on the freeway.  RPMs jumped to about 7000 immediately with no lag at all and the bike shot forward, then without touching the throttle, the bike "shifted".  The RPMs dropped to about 6500 and the acceleration started rapidly climbing again.  I had the biggest grin on my face!  When I backed off the throttle, the RPMs dropped to about 5500 at 70 mph.  The only drawbacks to installing them "wrong" was (1) the RPMs would jump whenever any load was encountered (smoothly though), and (2) my riding behavior became more aggressive with the additional acceleration.  :D

Chris
TechGuy
Scooter Commuter
Scooter Senior

Thank You

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 07:28:50 PM »

When I installed them wrong.. twice. It feels like the belt is rubbing the CVT case and it won't exceed 60 MPH not matter what you do and it gets "buzzy" or "whizzy" sounding and bogs.  It does shift very quickly though. It did damage the sliders but not in a way that prevented them from working when installed correctly. 

They also slightly damaged my variator body.  If you look at the sliders, they have one side where the brass core can be seen and one side where the nylon coves the core.  I installed them so that the force of the CVT pressed the brass core to the ramp side wall, as opposed to having the nylon-covered end slide against the ramp side wall.

If they felt they needed to add a groove to the sliders to indicate the "top", it must mean that many people have installed them incorrectly and that they needed better way to tell the people the "top" of the oddly shaped sliders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: