July 22, 2018, 05:19:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most memorable riding experiences  (Read 824 times)
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 57

Email
« on: December 30, 2017, 04:49:20 PM »

Most days riding are great experiences. The thought of them brings a smile to our faces, even though the vast majority of them are vague but pleasant memories. The ones that we remember the most clearly are days when things don't go smoothly. Usually it's bad weather, but it can be other things as well. Share your best stories here.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »

About 30 years ago, my buddy Darwin and I were trail riding just north of Potosi MO. We got caught in the equivalent of a tropical monsoon out in the middle of nowhere. We got so wet that our clothes felt 50 pounds heavier. We couldn't even see through the rain to ride.
We came across a very old abandoned house in the middle of nowhere. We went inside to get out of the downpour and found the ceiling of the house was covered in wasp nests. Wasps were flying everywhere inside the house, but we weren't going back out until the rain slowed down. Our wet clothes were so heavy we were getting pain in our shoulders and backs. We ended up stripping down to our skivvies and ringing out our riding gear while the wasps buzzed all around us. Amazingly neither of us got stung. We were in there about an hour before the rain let up.
It was a very uncomfortable day, but I'll certainly never forget it.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 323
-Receive: 730

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:10:11 PM »

Many great memories but one we talk about to this day was when our club rode to Wadeís funeral.  A fellow rider that passed away at 80 or 81 years young

We meet at the foot of the Gateway Arch and rode over in a group of about 20.  

I lead us across the Eads Bridge and through East St Louis.  Just when we crossed over, Wendy called and had just missed us at the Arch.  I pulled over and Kevin was to lead into the funeral home and I went back to get Wendy.

Once I went back I had to cross into the worse drug and crime infested areas of East St Louis.  Pete stayed on the phone with me and kept saying just donít stop.  

As I approached Missouri Ave a women was standing in the middle of the road and there was a stop sign.  I had no choice but to stop because of cross traffic.

Pete was hollering at me to just run her over, lol.  She grabbed my arm and was staying Hey baby wanna party, Pete was screaming just run her over lol.

I got back over the river and got Wendy, as we came through downtown East St Louis people at a four way stop weíre all laughing and pointing at an East St Louis police car crossing in front of us at a four way stop.  Reason?? There was about a 12 year old white kid driving the car

As we were trying to catch up with the group, Pete and I stayed in contact talking.  He was the tail gunner and would give me their location.  All of sudden he says WTF, thereís a push lawnmower crossing the road and thereís no one pushing it, LOL!

As we are laughing about that I hear him say, Kevinís down and now Kenís down.  No itís Scot not Ken.  He said they just slide out.  What happened was they were going under an old rail road bridge and the road had standing water on the right. When they moved over the road was like ice!

When Wendy and I went through, it was like a patch of ice, mind you this was  in the middle of summer.  

No one was seriously hurt so we headed to the funeral home.    Side note: Kevin is always Mr ATGATT Man. On this day he wore just a vest to honor Wade, go figure.  

After we left the funeral home it looked like rain.  We asked how far the church was away.   We were invited to a family luncheon.   So none of us put on rain gear.   While we were getting on the bikes, Sandy realized she locked her keys in her well inside her jacket. Somehow we got her seat up just enough to pull her jacket out.

With that delay it really looked like rain.  As soon as we pulled away a monsoon of a rain came through! There was no where to pull over for cover so we headed to the church right around the corner.   On the way over one the members had a bike that kept stalling because he was taking in so much rain.

Well right around the corner was at least 3 miles away.  We were soaked!  The minute we pulled into the church lot it stopped

It was either Mark (ezMark that started this thread) or another club member came out and offered us an umbrella....

We went inside like wet dogs and had a great meal. As we were leaving the buffet line all these old ladies from the church were on their hands and knees wiping up puddles!

Wendy and I went in the bathroom and stripped down to nothing and used the air dryers to get somewhat dry and put on Frog Toggs.  Frog Toggs are not super comfy on a naked body!  

It is quite the memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 04:46:23 AM »

I came straight from work to Wade's funeral so I was in my car. Before leaving the funeral parlor for the church, everyone stood around chatting in the parking lot for a good while but nobody put on their rainsuits. I kept looking at the sky and wishing you all good luck. I led you guys to the church in my car and I remember we hit every red light on the way there. I'm sitting in my dry car feeling really bad for you guys getting poured on.
Yes, that was me with the umbrella. Sadly, that's kind of my sense of humor. 
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 17

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »

My most memorable ride occurred when I was younger and dumber. It was near time to leave work fro the day. Looked outside and saw a storm approaching. Since home was only 4 miles away, I thought that I could beat the storm. Wrong. When the storm hit, I was stopped at the entrance to my neighborhood waiting for an opening to make a left turn. By the time I had an opportunity to make the turn, I was soaked. When I lifted by feet to place them back on the floorboard, I could feel water in my boots. About two hundred feet up the road, I felt a jolt on the scooter, saw a flash of darkness in front of my face. Made it home and got off the scooter and immediately noticed that part of my front fender (plastic) was missing. Took off my FF helmet and noticed that there was a bit of bark wedged in the crack of the visor and top of the helmet. When the storm was over, I rode back to where I felt the jolt - found my missing fender piece and saw a slight white mark on a 20ft branch lying beside the road.

CelticCross
Clampett
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 28 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 67
-Receive: 64

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 09:47:51 PM »

Don't remember the exact date, but it was in 2005 around May. I was out on my Silverwing scooter looking for a place to eat, but wanted to ride a short while before eating.
A friend had told me about a BBQ place about a 100 miles from me going SW toward Tuscaloosa. Well, I got there too early to eat and they hadn't opened yet.

So I continued on down I-20 and crossed into Mississippi. I thought it might be nice to continue on down to the gulf area for some seafood.
As I got closer to the beach, I thought it'd be nice to eat some Cajun food, so I continued on into Louisiana. Then I remember the long bridge.
Well, might as well add that to my bucket list. Still hadn't stopped to eat.

Ain't that far to Texas and they have great steaks, right? Everything is bigger and better in Texas.
It's getting late and I stopped at the rest stop/travel info just inside the Texas border on I-10.
I had no map, no GPS, no clothing,......After all, I was just riding to lunch.
Trooper was sitting on the on ramp from the rest stop. I eased up beside him. He gave me 'The Look'.....
I ask how far to Houston. He then smiled and answered. I made it. I was so tired, I crashed without having eat a meal. I had gotten a soda at the rest stop and that was all for the day.

I was stoked. Even though I was worn out and just crashed in the motel, I was still wired and couldn't sleep. Eventually, I jumped as I woke from my deep sleep.
6:30 am. I made it back home that night, but I do not remember anything after waking up. The only thing I remember is waking up the next morning after returning and walking next door to tell mom what I'd done. Not that it was exciting to her, as she did stuff like this almost weekly, but just to let her know why I didn't check in on her.

After this, I started carrying a camera with me to partially document my excursions as I found friends/family doubting my tale.

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 323
-Receive: 730

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »

Celtic, that sounds scary!!  Jed, that sounds like ton o fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 17

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »

When I felt the jolt, I was curious and couldn’t wait until I got home to try to determine what the heck just happened. After I saw the tree limb, I was extremely thankful and realized that I had narrowly missed having a real life altering accident.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 48
-Receive: 229

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 09:28:38 PM »

For me, itís hard to say which ride was my most memorable.  There have been many memorable rides, some of them long, some short.  I remember one time, a long time ago, PeggySuz and I and two other couple rode to Fairbanks to spend a day up there, then come back here.  Dennis and Jim liked to ride fast.  That is, FAST!  Me not so much, as I was still getting used to riding big touring bikes.  Mine was a Suzuki Cavalcade.  Anyway, we were coming down the Richardson Hwy heading toward Glennallen, and they left us behind.  We were just enjoying the ride, and at one point, not long after the other two sped off, we were treated to a great sight when a huge bull caribou with a large set of antlers walked across the road in front of us.  Those guys missed it, and we got to enjoy seeing a magnificent animal close up in front of us.  Had I been going as fast as the other two guys, I could well have hit that beast!!

I suppose one my most memorable rides was my last one.  Kelly (Akforza) and I took a couple days and rode over the Denali Hwy, which is a 140 mile road, of which 120 is gravel, that runs between Cantwell, and Paxson, linking the Parks and Richardson Hwys.  I donít have a lot of unpaved riding experience, but this one was different.  It took a few miles to get the feel of the gravel road, but then we were flying down that road, sometimes as fast as 65 mph.  The weather was perfect and the road was in unusually good condition, and even the rough patches werenít very rough.  We spent the night at the Tangle River Lodge, and it was 81 degrees out at dinner time!!!  What a great day with a great riding buddy!  The ride back down the Richardson Hwy to Glennallen and then the Glenn Hwy home was a good one, too.  What a great way to end my riding career.  Kelly, thanks for suggesting we do that.

Greg
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 250 savage, Kawa 500 triple, Honda Forza, Triumph Tiger 800 xc

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 27

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 02:39:18 AM »

The Denali  was a great trip Greg and it was a thrill to ride from the seat or the pegs! Not many folks understand what its like to ride the gravel of Alaska or the Yukon NWT.  The remote isolation of knowing there is nothing but miles of wilderness between you and the next town or lodge. To travel where your lucky if you even see another bike or truck along the way on some of the truly lonely roads left in North America. The adventures of bush travel, if you want gas you better bring it and if you break down you better know how to and have the stuff to fix it. So knowing that was one of your most memorable rides is a hell of a comment coming from a guy who has put on as many miles as you have. Glad I got to share that ride with you.

Kelly
2014 Honda Forza, 2014 Tiger 800xc SE
2004 Seaswirl Striper WA HT 200 HP Merc
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:07:39 AM »

That was one heck of a ride, Kelly, and it was a terrific way to go out of riding, on such a high note.  As a matter of fact, we had a number of great rides.  The Hatcher Pass ride was another good one.

Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 223
-Receive: 358

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:37 PM »

My riding history only stretches back about 14 years but upon reflection there are a few crystalized moments.  In no particular order.

1.  First time I leaned my Reflex over during a turn... I mean really lean it over.  I'm not the most aggressive rider but that was such a thrill.

2.  Target fixation, also on my Reflex.  Turning into my driveway and waving at my neighbor in her yard and then nearly running her over because I was looking at her while waving instead of where I wanted to go.

3.  Getting caught in a massive downpour on the way to the Maxi-Scoot rally in PA.  I was with Paul and we got hit hard with a rainstorm and I remember flying over some speedbumps or large heaves in the road that sent me slightly airborne.

4.  Scaring a couple at an isolated scenic pullover in Michigan.  I got off my bike and reached into my tailbag and they just punched it, tearing out of the parking space like their lives were in danger.

6.  Scary strong winds hitting me as I cleared a corner climbing Kitt Peak in AZ, nearly knocking me off the bike and the road.

7.  Almost getting creamed by a car in Cambridge, MA.  Emergency stop saved my skin.

8.  First time taking a bike over 100 mph.  It was only last year and I was on a Yamaha FZ6R.

9.  Hyper aggressive riding along Bear Notch Road with the Nighthawk gang.  Oddly there were no Nighthawks on that ride.

10.  Assorted views, the grand vista near Wyalusing State Park as you head south down the Great River Road in Wisconsin, riding the valley floor of the Franconia Notch between the mountains, seeing alligators alongside the secondary highways in southern Florida, the seemingly never-ending descent on HWY CA-38 out of Big Bear, CA down the mountain and the absolutely stunning views of mountains and waterfalls along the Lake Duffey Loop just outside of Vancouver.

11.  And not surprisingly and without a doubt all the interesting people I have met while riding.

Practicing Normite.
Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »

Clampettt - I once started out to go 2 blocks to the post office to buy stamps and maybe get lunch.  My 2 block run turned into a 3 day weekend to Memphis area.  Like you, no clothes, no toothbrush, no lunch, just rode and rode and had a heck of a good time doing so.  Thank God for Walmart.  Now I always carry a small bag with just the essentials - clothes, toothbrush, maybe a swimsuit, maps of KY, TN, IL, MO, etc..Ya just never know.
Clampett
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 28 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 67
-Receive: 64

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »

Clampettt - I once started out to go 2 blocks to the post office to buy stamps and maybe get lunch.  My 2 block run turned into a 3 day weekend to Memphis area.  Like you, no clothes, no toothbrush, no lunch, just rode and rode and had a heck of a good time doing so.  Thank God for Walmart.  Now I always carry a small bag with just the essentials - clothes, toothbrush, maybe a swimsuit, maps of KY, TN, IL, MO, etc..Ya just never know.
I've since made up what I call my 'Overnight bag'. 10"X8"X3" (25X20X8 cm). Tooth brush/paste, underwear, PJ bottoms, Tylenol, Imodium AD, and spare socks. Needed the Imodium on a trip in China in 2005. Now that I carry it everywhere, haven't needed it since. Contents change on occasion, but the toothbrush and paste seem to be the one thing that doesn't change(just refreshed). I keep it hanging on the door knob to the bedroom and grab it anytime I'm going on a tag, 'just a ride', etc. It has come in handy a few times!!!!!!
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 47
-Receive: 89

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »

.... I once started out to go 2 blocks to the post office to buy stamps and maybe get lunch.  My 2 block run turned into a 3 day weekend to Memphis area........ no clothes, no toothbrush, no lunch, just rode and rode and had a heck of a good time doing so.......

Thanks for that visual. Next time wear clothes!   

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 97

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »

And sunscreen!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 80
-Receive: 136

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 07:08:59 PM »

.... I once started out to go 2 blocks to the post office to buy stamps and maybe get lunch.  My 2 block run turned into a 3 day weekend to Memphis area........ no clothes, no toothbrush, no lunch, just rode and rode and had a heck of a good time doing so.......

__
Don
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 38

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:11:19 PM »

.... I once started out to go 2 blocks to the post office to buy stamps and maybe get lunch.  My 2 block run turned into a 3 day weekend to Memphis area........ no clothes, no toothbrush, no lunch, just rode and rode and had a heck of a good time doing so.......

Apparently clothes are optional at her post office.

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 11:54:00 PM »

Woa, that went down hill fast, thanks Bruce!  Let me rephrase - Only had the clothes I was wearing, I didn't take any extra clothes.  Naked riding would be too scary for everyone else on the road.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 06:22:34 AM »

Woa, that went down hill fast, thanks Bruce!  Let me rephrase - Only had the clothes I was wearing, I didn't take any extra clothes.  Naked riding would be too scary for everyone else on the road.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: