December 15, 2017, 02:20:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riding “Myths”  (Read 343 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 281
-Receive: 641

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: December 04, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/3-motorcycle-myths-that-wont-die?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&lnk=TA&src=SOC&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a2483239ebbef0007ba1033&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook#page-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 45

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:07:18 AM »

When people tell me helmets don't increase your safety, I always make them this challenge.
I'll put on my helmet and you take a pool cue and hit me in the head as hard as you can.
Then it's my turn on your bare head.
I've never had anyone take me up on the offer.
Clampett
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 27 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:48:14 AM »

EZMark, Comparing a risk probability to a sure injury as evidence isn't a convincing argument
I.E. I sit in my auto and you hit the door as hard as you can with a sledge hammer. Then let me hit you with the same hammer while you sit on your motorcycle. Will you accept my challenge as it proves you should not ride a bike?

I'm for helmets!!!!!!!! Not saying the helmets aren't safer.

---
Larry
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Helix, Nighthawk 750, Vulcan 750, 1983 GL1100, 1984 GL1200 trike, 2006 Burgman 400, 2007 Burgman 650, 2007 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 22

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:18:55 PM »

Good read! 

"Defensive riding is every rider’s best shot at getting home in one piece. Stay out of other drivers’ blind spots. Slow down approaching intersections. Create and maintain a safety buffer in traffic by following at a safe distance and waving tailgaters by. Leave yourself room to escape if the sh*t comes down"

What he said ........

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Helix, Nighthawk 750, Vulcan 750, 1983 GL1100, 1984 GL1200 trike, 2006 Burgman 400, 2007 Burgman 650, 2007 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 5

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »

When people tell me helmets don't increase your safety, I always make them this challenge.
I'll put on my helmet and you take a pool cue and hit me in the head as hard as you can.
Then it's my turn on your bare head.
I've never had anyone take me up on the offer.

Yeah Mark ... same thing is true about a concealed carry gun.  Most ridicule the idea of a small caliber "mouse gun".  I've yet to find anyone who will volunteer to let me shoot them with my 22lr.:-)

Sure IF I'm in a gun fight, I'd prefer a 44 mag. but I cant carry and conceal that thing discreetly.

As far as helmets go .... I agree with the author.  But hey this is America ... people got a right to be wrong:-)

Sirkitrider

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 162

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »

... take a pool cue and hit me in the head as hard as you can.

... hit you with the same hammer...

Pool cues and sledge hammers... One must be careful browsing this thread; I'll pass on these challenges.

The best I could hope for is a swing and a myth from both of you, but the probability is probably quite low.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Clampett
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 11:42:14 PM »

Pool cues and sledge hammers... One must be careful browsing this thread; I'll pass on these challenges.

The best I could hope for is a swing and a myth from both of you, but the probability is probably quite low.

What if I take off my glasses first???? Come on and be a sport...you don't even have to disagree...just accept the challenge..... 
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 02:06:29 AM »

I once played eight ball with a drunk guy in Thailand.  The drunk hit the Cue ball right off the table when it proceeded to hit a wall and bounced back hitting the guy in the head. After the ball hit him in the head he went out to my scooter, put on my helmet and came back in to finish the game.  He said eight ball was to dangerous to play without a helmet on!
Clampett
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 02:21:09 AM »

There ya go @gurock1 ,
A direct comparison and results of risk assessment! I'm betting he never got hit in the head again, BUT had he had it on it would have definitely saved him the pain.
I guessing you continued the game without a helmet and had zero injury though, you lucky stiff....
Liamjs
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 07 Burgman 400 & 05 Burgman 650

Thank You

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 05:09:22 AM »

I’ve always challenged the loud pipes. If you’re THAT into safety that you buy loud pipes, then why not ATTGAT, florecent vests, and full helmets? I’d love see one with riding with a high viz jacket.  Lol.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 09:38:44 PM »

The BMW dealer in St Louis had stickers that said "If loud pipes saves lives imagine what a helmet and protective gear could do".
BTW, I finished the eight ball without getting hit by a cue ball and Mike finished the game safely with my helmet on.  If I can ever salvage the hard drive with many of my photos on it I actually have pictures of Mike playing pool with my helmet on.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 36

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 04:37:39 AM »

Whenever I hear "loud pipes save lives" I immediately have to ask, if that were true wouldn't the folks who sell loud pipes commission studies to "prove" it ... and plaster it all over their advertising?  Of course they would, but they don't because they can't.

And, as the article pointed out, anecdotal evidence does not prove anything no matter how many anecdotes one produces.  For every incident where a rider claims loud pipes saved him, how many can be found where loud pipes did not?  POOF !  If anecdotes count, there goes your "proof".

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 17

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 01:03:47 AM »

I'll take being T-boned by a car with my helmet and armored jacket than without. Load pipes just come across as annoying and a nuisance to anyone around them. Never understood the desire to ride something that requires you to wear ear plugs unless it's a jet fighter.

Great article. Thanks for posting.

- Wolf
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Receive: 45

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »

I think everyone is misunderstanding my cue stick challenge.
If someone wants to look me in the face and say "I choose not to wear a helmet because I live in a free country and it's my right to take whatever risks I want" I will 100% stand by his right to do so.
However, if he's spouting off that wearing a helmet provides no protection and in some cases they argue that a helmet will cause injury, then that is just absurd. I issue the challenge to illustrate their absurdity with more absurdity.
For the record, noone has ever taken me up on the challenge.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 44
-Receive: 67

Email
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 06:21:51 PM »

Mark- Mark Twain once said "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
CelticCross
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: CURRENT - 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd; PREVIOUS - Honda Met; Kymco People 150; Vespa 200GT; Piaggio MP3; Burgman 400; Vespa 300ie; Honda Forza 300; 2011 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »

Life has provided me with numerous opportunities to be exposed to loud noises (mostly from machinery and music); without hearing protection. Music was probably my main nemesis as I was most happy when I could feel the music. I now need hearing aids. Therefore, I wear ear plugs when I ride to help retain what hearing I have left. Noise doesn’t need to be that loud to cause a problem as exposure to wind noise can have a negative affect on hearing. I would encourage all to take precautions with your hearing just as you do with safety riding gear.

Ride safe and enjoy!

CelticCross
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 40
-Receive: 213

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 05:20:51 AM »

Well this treads right on what I always empahsized, and that’s riding safety.  First off, I’d like to say that loud pipes are like emergency vehicle sirens.  When you start hearing them, you have no idea where they’re coming from.  IMHO, loud pipes only serve to annoy people.

Helmets:  I had an interesting conversation with a fellow one time who said he only wore his helmet when he was on the road, since the speeds were higher.  He said he didn’t wear his helmet in town in traffic because speeds were slower.  I let him know that this was ridiculous.  I’d read an article, I think from MSF, that stated that due to traffic conditions and the closeness of other vehicles, that a rider has a 60 times greater chance of needing the services of his/her helmet in urban traffic than when out on the road, even at elevated speeds.  Makes sense to me. 

Another “myth” about helmets comes from the no-helmet advocates, and they say that wearing a helmet restricts their peripheral vision.  This is nonsense, because no manufacturer of motorcycle safet helmets can market a helmet with less than a 200 degree facial opening, and human peripheral vision is no greater than 180 degrees.  To ride while depending on only peripheral vision is lunacy.  Your head should be on a swivel at all times.  And wearing those ridiculous beanie cap toy “helmets” provides almost zero protection, and absolutely zero protection for your face!

ATGATT:  ATGATT is cheap insurance, and it’s sure a lot less painful to replace an abraided jacket or boots or gloves than it is to be in the hospital while they abrade dirt and rocks out of your skin, and it doesn’t leave any scars.  My motto was alway, “Dress for the fall, not for the ride.”

Risk assessment, as pertains to motorcycle riding is hard because there are so many variables.  It depends on the style of riding, even the style of the motorcycle.  And how about rider experience and skill?  In the end, no one can afix hard numbers or percentages, or to even calculate the risk to a rider.  How about a rider who is very skilled, but doesn’t take proper care of their bike, like tires, servicing chains, forks, shocks, all those things that keep you upright.

Finally, no matter what you do or wear, there is nothing that can be done to make riding safe.  It’s always a “calculated” risk, assumed by the rider, anc can only be made safer.  But not safe.

Greg
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 61
-Receive: 95

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 08:16:20 AM »

<snip>
Finally, no matter what you do or wear, there is nothing that can be done to make riding safe.  It’s always a “calculated” risk, assumed by the rider, anc can only be made safer.  But not safe.

Well said.

There are old scooter riders and there are bold scooter riders but there are no old bold scooter riders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: