December 15, 2017, 02:19:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid Yamaha is Going to get my Stupid Money  (Read 313 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 215
-Receive: 347

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: November 30, 2017, 07:51:41 PM »

I just bought my Versys last year but I am completely drawn by the updated FJ-09, now called by it's Euro name, Tracer 900.  And in particular the Tracer 900 GT.

It has all the right updates and cosmetic tweaks to really get my attention.  Taller windscreen, better seat, narrower bars, a few updates to the plastics and a sexy TFT display.

Has a factory centerstand as standard and a nifty DC outlet and gear position indicator, same as last year.  Plus it has a whole lot more horses coming from a triple motor... nifty!

Negatives, it's sure to be pricey, $12k at least.  The luggage is still smaller than the Versys meaning it won't store a full face helmet.  Probably fuel range isn't as good as the Versys either.  The Versys is paid for and modified to suit me currently.  I'm sure thinking of how I can trade or sell my Ninja 650 and Versys for this refreshed Yamaha.

And because my eye tends to stray I'm also looking at the BMW R1200 R and new Kawasaki 900 RS... they would each need luggage and a windscreen for me.  The BMW has it factory luggage, the Kawi probably needs aftermarket cases or soft bags.

Stupid Yamaha.

Practicing Normite.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 44
-Receive: 67

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:59 PM »

You're starting to go through bikes like Mr.Crabbypants! That's meant as a compliment. Life can be too short not to get the things you like, while you can enjoy them (and afford them).

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »

You're starting to go through bikes like Mr.Crabbypants!

I talk a good game but Mr. Crabbypants takes action.   :D
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 40
-Receive: 213

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »

You're starting to go through bikes like Mr.Crabbypants!

I talk a good game but Mr. Crabbypants takes action.   :D

I’m afraid I’m much like that myself.  I spend a lot of time looking at stuff, but not buying.  Just lusting, I guess.  It used to be motorcycles.  Now it’s camera gear.  That’s a cool looking bike though.

Greg
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 08:12:02 PM »

We'll see, Greg.  This bike doesn't come out until mid-summer next year.  I really need to take it for a test ride, there were a few attributes of the old FJ09 I really loved and others I really disliked.

I loved the motor and general ergos except for the width of the bars.  This updated version has narrower bars so while that sounds good a nice test ride will verify my dislike of the older set up.  I also despised the older bikes instrument cluster, I know this sounds stupid but it had two lcd panels and they were a different shade of green/grey.  Maybe it's the artist/designer in me but it was so distracting, this new TFT display looks so slick.  I also hated the over look of the FJ09, I thought it looked incomplete.  This new version Tracer is much nicer, overall similar just a better finish to the edges and shapes plus the windscreen doesn't look nearly as stupid.  My biggest gripe in the design are those dumb hand guards, either have them and make them useful or get rid of them all together.  They actually made them narrower for the 2018 Tracer.

So we will see.  Right now my biggest complaint about the Versys is the fueling.  Around town riding is down right annoying at times.  Otherwise she is a beautiful bike and so lovely to take through the turns, handling is amazing.
Driller
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: Aprillia Sport City 250, Aprilia Scarabeo 150 currently.- Previously many

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 26

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 02:04:23 AM »

Triple...yum!

My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 162

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 04:54:54 PM »

Triple...yum!

Oh, yes... yum!

Although I haven't seen or experienced nearly as many motorcycles as others on the forum, Yamaha's triple still provides a delightful combination of power and economy after four plus years on an FZ-09. Never quite warmed up to the FJ-09 either, but the Tracer 900 looks like a fine update.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 40
-Receive: 213

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »

I have often looked at and rejected motorcycles that interested me, but failed to deliver in the ergos department.  The FJ-09 was an intersting bike, but looked too cramped for me, were I to consider riding again.  Even this new one looks like itís better suited to a younger set.  I just donít bend comfortably enough like that at my age to endure a sport bike seating position.  But thatís me.

And yes, Dan, those hand protectors look more like a styling statement rather than an actual funtional item designed to ward off the wind from ones hands.  Unfortunately, anything that would be functional wouls seriously detract from the bikeís looks.  What might look just fine on, say, a Vstrom, just doesnít make on the FJ.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »

The FJ-09 is IMHO a great bike and the new model just makes it greater.  With that said it's not for me as my joints and shape don't allow for it to be comfortable for me.  For the most part it has all the good side of the FJR while still being light enough not to feel like a pig which the FJR can feel like.  Good luck with whichever decision you make.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: