November 19, 2017, 06:00:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone fabricated a center stand lever extension ?  (Read 181 times)
Attaboy
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Presently 2013 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 12

Email
« on: November 12, 2017, 03:32:56 AM »

Hi,

As I am getting older I am finding my 650 heavier and heavier as well as being more difficult to bring up on to it's center stand.

Has anyone fabricated an extension of some kind that fits the step down lever/arm to add additional leverage to make this task easier ?
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 280
-Receive: 639

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:53:28 PM »

Not to question you or your strength, have you oiled the center stand of late.  The only reason I ask is I know mine gets sticky at times.  The center stand is incredibly easy to use.

Watch this video of John's wife it helped me in the beginning because I was trying to force the center stand into place versus just doing it the right way.  Teresa is 5'4 and weighs 117lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2o3iv3ANE

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Attaboy
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Presently 2013 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Receive: 12

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »

Thank you for your suggestion, I have been cleaning and greasing Burgman center stand pivot points about once per month since 2004, white lithium grease in a spray can is great for this task. I have watched that video many times as it is regularly referenced to on all scoot or Burgman related sites I know of, bottom line is I am getting on in years and fully loaded 650 lbs beast is simply getting bit heavier every new riding year. 
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 280
-Receive: 639

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 07:00:15 PM »

Understandable :-(  even at 54 Iím starting to see things I use to could do that are slowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 45

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 05:47:27 AM »

One of the reasons I got rid of my Burgman was it weighed over 600 pounds and felt heavier than it was.
My Tmax is 485 pounds and feels even lighter.
My 82 year old riding buddy replaced his Burgman with a 15 Tmax for the same reason and is just as happy.
Yamaha is clearing out the 2015 Tmaxes right now and I can't recommend it highly enough.
You can buy them brand new for under $7000.
They pop up in the centerstand like a 250.

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 10
-Receive: 79

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »

Run the back wheel on a 1 inch board, will make the center stand pop right up.
bandito2
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Receive: 17

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »

A fully loaded bike (maybe even a little overloaded) may still be a bit difficult to get up onto it's center-stand.
(even if you are doing it right)
A simple trick to make it easier, is to ride the bike up onto a piece of 3/4" wood so that just the rear tire is on
it while still being able to lower the center-stand to the ground. This effectively has it being already partially
through the lifting process and easier for one to finish bringing it the rest of the way up & back onto the stand.
You may want to slide the piece of wood away from beneath the rear tire after that then.

I came to this idea by way of using a car tire on my scooter. The taller tire lifted the bike higher than it usually
would with a standard scooter tire and allowed the center-stand to swing further through it's arc before touching
the ground. It was VERY easy to bring the bike the rest of the way up onto the stand. Almost too easy in fact. It
would seem sometimes like the rear wheel would still touch the ground while on the center-stand. So it would be
very easy to just push the bike forward a little and the stand would retract. Parking brake would need to be used
to help prevent the bike from rolling forward off the stand so easily. But for bikes with their standard size tires on,
it would have the rear wheel well clear of the ground and not easy to just push off the center-stand.

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Receive: 8

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 01:59:07 AM »

I want to go try it right now. Haven't been able to get S'wing on center stand since I bought it.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 102
-Receive: 55

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 03:12:16 AM »

When taking "the course" one of the instructors who rides a Gold Wing tried to put the other instructor's Silverwing 600 on the center stand.  He managed to get it there, but with great difficulty.  I thought the "trick" was as seen in the Bergman video, was to just be sure the legs on both sides of the center stand were touching the ground (by rocking the bike "sideways") then stand on the foot pad of the lever. If necessary pull the passenger hand grips towards the back.  I'm going to try the 3/4" board too.  Like that idea.
Buffalo
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Red 2007 Burgman 650 Executive, Blue 2006 Burgman 400S

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 161

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:13 AM »

Making sure both legs of the stand are on the ground is the biggest tip I can give you.  If you do that getting the bike up on the center stand isn't overly difficult.  But if you have just one leg touching you can bust a gut trying to do it.

Craig
07 Burgman 650, 137,600 miles
06 Burgman 400, 48,365 miles
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 45

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 06:13:08 AM »

Best technique is to stand on the centerstand tab with you left hand on the grip and pull the grab handle straight up with your right hand.
Don't try to pull the bike backwards, it's unnecessary and counter-productive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: