November 19, 2017, 05:54:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweet Home Alabama!! Sept 5-9  (Read 441 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 280
-Receive: 639

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: November 06, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »

The meet up next year will be September 5-9.

It will be in Northern Alabama.  I'm still deciding on a location but I will have something in the next few weeks.  I wanted to get the dates out there so people who need to plan for vacation time next year are informed.

I'm very excited to show you the area where I was raised.  New England born but raised in the south.

Without a doubt one of the days rides will be to the Barber Motorcycle Museum.  So now the fun part for me :-)  Figuring out the rest.

Pete and I will arrive very early since I still have many friends in the area I would like to see without intruding on our time riding and with our Maxi Scoot friends.

* bustedtees.67aac485-66fb-4ccc-a644-50ee3f98.gif (13.5 KB, 450x482 - viewed 8 times.)

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:27:41 PM »

Always wanted to see and learn more about "Bama". It even comes with a built in theme song ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eECO5dlVh8

Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 01:00:51 AM »

One of the band members had a place down the street from us on Lake Guntersville.    We weren't allowed to go near when they were in town.   They would cause quite the disturbance when in town.  Ronnie VanZandt use to be quite the babe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Steve_YYZ
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 45
-Receive: 29

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 06:13:15 AM »

Thanks for the dates Maggie..... now I just have to start twisting arms to get the vacation time I want.
sonuvabug
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »

One of the band members had a place down the street from us on Lake Guntersville.    We weren't allowed to go near when they where in town.   They would cause quite the disturbance when in town.  Ronnie VanZandt use to be quite the babe.

Awesome side story Maggie ... thanks for sharing!
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 36

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 12:11:37 AM »

Always wanted to see and learn more about "Bama". It even comes with a built in theme song ...

I always liked the song (1974) except for the lyric "In Birmingham they love the Gov'nor, boo, boo, boo. Now we all did what we could do" which implies that somehow Birmingham, more so than the rest of the state, was responsible for George Wallace being governor (19631967, 19711979 and 19831987).  In 1970 all but 4 south central counties were carried by Wallace (74.5% of the vote) and in 1974 he carried every county in the state (83.2% of the vote, 77.3% in Jefferson County which encompasses Birmingham).  The whole state shares responsibility for his election, and most counties more so than Jefferson on a percentage basis.

And any notion that Wallace returned such "love" seems far fetched in that it was the biggest city in a rural state (big cities are generally frowned on in rural states), and in that Jefferson County was the last county in the state to have I-65 therein completed.

I lived in Birmingham from June, 1977 through December, 1983.  When we left, I-65, which runs north-south through the entire state, ended north of Birmingham and picked up again south of Birmingham.  This always suggested to me that George was not a friend of Birmingham.  I did not love the "Gov'nor" (for a variety of reasons).

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 162

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 04:37:11 AM »

Interesting. Heard those song lyrics many times, and generally understand George Wallace's history, but never gave such thought to them. Not disagreeing, but I'll hear the song in a bit different way going forward.

Always wanted to see and learn more about "Bama".

However, Alabama also gave us a pretty awesome music group.

Alabama's "For The Record" dates from just a couple years ago... ah-h-h-h, 1998 apparently. Time flies.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »

For the record no one has noticed the state is not Alabama in the graphic.  I did that to be funny :-). That is Mississippi

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:43 PM »

For the record no one has noticed the state is not Alabama in the graphic.  I did that to be funny :-). That is Mississippi

Good one; didn't notice.  :D

I have taken off on board an airplane traveling to Alabama five times in my life, but have never landed on board an airplane in Alabama.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 102
-Receive: 55

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 02:03:47 AM »

Good one; didn't notice.  :D

I have taken off on board an airplane traveling to Alabama five times in my life, but have never landed on board an airplane in Alabama.

Bet there is an interesting story behind that.  Was a parachute involved ???
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »

For the record no one has noticed the state is not Alabama in the graphic.  I did that to be funny :-). That is Mississippi

Good one; didn't notice.  :D

Bet there is an interesting story behind that.  Was a parachute involved ???

Yes, you are correct. In 1980, I graduated from the U.S. Army Airborne School at Fort Benning, Georgia, a very interesting place for a young Marine to learn about other branches of the military service.

On five occasions, my training unit boarded transport aircraft (three times on board a C-130 Hercules; twice on board a C-141 Starlifter) in Georgia, took off, flew across the Chattahoochie River to the 'drop zone' in eastern Alabama, and parachuted to the ground. Recalling at least one fairly serious landing injury to a fellow parachutist, most of us moved on foot to the rally point and returned to Georgia by bus.

Jumping from a propeller-driven C-130 was a pleasure. Jumping out the side door and into the jetwash of a C-141's engine was less pleasant. Although I don't recall taking in the 'big picture' back then, the jumps hopefully looked something like this...

To this day, my five parachute jumps in 1980 remain my only 'visits' to Alabama.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 05:47:28 PM »

Very cool! Hope you and Mary can change that and come next year!

Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 36

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 06:59:18 PM »

For the record no one has noticed the state is not Alabama in the graphic.  I did that to be funny :-). That is Mississippi

Apparently we read the words and, like the flying fickle finger of fate, moved on.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 185
-Receive: 201

generic

Email
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 10:44:52 PM »

Apparently we read the words and, like the flying fickle finger of fate, moved on.

It's all Lower Tennessee, a buffer from foul weather and rising sea level.

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
Steve_YYZ
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 45
-Receive: 29

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »

Does it really matter?
You're still far enough south of the 49th that they serve grits and hush-puppies!!! 
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 45

Email
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 06:30:58 AM »

I always liked the song (1974) except for the lyric "In Birmingham they love the Gov'nor, boo, boo, boo. Now we all did what we could do" which implies that somehow Birmingham, more so than the rest of the state, was responsible for George Wallace being governor (1963–1967, 1971–1979 and 1983–1987).  In 1970 all but 4 south central counties were carried by Wallace (74.5% of the vote) and in 1974 he carried every county in the state (83.2% of the vote, 77.3% in Jefferson County which encompasses Birmingham).  The whole state shares responsibility for his election, and most counties more so than Jefferson on a percentage basis.
And any notion that Wallace returned such "love" seems far fetched in that it was the biggest city in a rural state (big cities are generally frowned on in rural states), and in that Jefferson County was the last county in the state to have I-65 therein completed.
I lived in Birmingham from June, 1977 through December, 1983.  When we left, I-65, which runs north-south through the entire state, ended north of Birmingham and picked up again south of Birmingham.  This always suggested to me that George was not a friend of Birmingham.  I did not love the "Gov'nor" (for a variety of reasons).
Ronnie VanZandt was a big leftist. Note the lyric also "Watergate does not bother me, Does your conscience bother you?" In other words, you should feel guilty if you voted for Nixon. No mention of George Wallace's anti-segregation stance though.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 04:17:26 PM »

Very cool! Hope you and Mary can change that and come next year!

As always, a few things need to fall into place on the calendar, but traveling to Alabama sounds great. Seems a strange thought right now, my retirement and relocation dates should be complete by next September.

Hauling a motorcycle or two should be no problem; the distance on four wheels (plus trailer) isn't too great from NC but farther than I would likely travel on two. Haven't been to a rally since Pennsylvania in 2012, and getting back to one would be awesome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: