December 15, 2019, 11:09:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations Anyone?  (Read 612 times)
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 250 savage, Kawa 500 triple, Honda Forza, Triumph Tiger 800 xc

Thank You
-Given: 18
-Receive: 29

Email
« on: October 26, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »

June of next year my wife and I will participate in our daughters wedding in the great state of Maine. The groom has a very large extended family in the Portland area so it wasn't practical to have people consider travel to Alaska. We're bringing the party to them. We will be staying in the Casco bay area for two weeks and between events and the big day,  I would dearly like to accomplish two things besides marrying off my girl to a good man.

1 I'd like to devour a good lobster roll.
2 I'd like to explore the coast on two wheels.

Can anyone recommend a good bike rental and or routes that would be worth a visit in the area? I have a riding buddy that's joining me in the wedding party but would certainly welcome any member interested in getting together for a ride or  a visit.
Thanks in advance
Kelly

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Kelly
2014 Honda Forza, 2014 Tiger 800xc SE
2004 Seaswirl Striper WA HT 200 HP Merc
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 259

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 06:06:08 PM »

Well, I know that you will have hands full for awhile, based on our experience when our daughter got married.  It will be a busy time.  Unfortunately, we’ve never been back East, so I can’t make any recommendations, however Dan might have some for you, as he lives in the Boston area and seems to be pretty familiar with the east coast.

Greg
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:34:06 PM »

Got the week before and the week after the big day so suspect we can squeeze in a ride the week after. At least that's the plan. My extent of the east coast visits is only North Carolina so it will be a first for the North East coast. I did well on a future son-in-law, I really like him. We had his folks stay with us while they visited in Hawaii. Really a nice family. Looking forward to it other than the walk down the isle, hope I can keep that one together !
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 65

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 01:25:10 AM »

I've used these guys a couple of times. They have a store in Manchester NH.
http://www.eaglerider.com/

If you're riding solo, rent the Indian Scout. It's a blast to ride.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 65
-Receive: 259

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:02:10 AM »

Got the week before and the week after the big day so suspect we can squeeze in a ride the week after. At least that's the plan. My extent of the east coast visits is only North Carolina so it will be a first for the North East coast. I did well on a future son-in-law, I really like him. We had his folks stay with us while they visited in Hawaii. Really a nice family. Looking forward to it other than the walk down the isle, hope I can keep that one together !

It’s good to have a good son-in-law.  Gives peace of mind.  My first son-in-law fell short.
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »

Thanks for the link. I looked hard at the Scout next to me at a bike show last year. They do look like fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:13:01 PM »

Thanks for the link. I looked hard at the Scout next to me at a bike show last year. They do look like fun.

I see the Manchester store has a good Yami selection including the Tenere. I had a Tenere rider join me last year at the Dawson gathering on a ride to Skagway. He rode well and his bike looked like it was very capable.

Hope I can get some posts on riding in the area😎

msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 219

generic

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 05:48:23 PM »

Around Freeport, just short ways from Portland, is the 'Desert of Maine'.
http://www.desertofmaine.com/

I would recommend Mt. Katahdin but it's a far piece from Portland, about a days ride.

When I was stationed in Maine 1983-1985 one of the Airmen on my crew was from China, Maine and wanted a 3 day weekend to go home. I told him I would give him an extra day off if he could tell me how the town came to be named China but he didn't know. I let him stew until shift change and told him he could have the day but when he returned I wanted to know why the town was named China. His response after the long weekend, "Because it's beside China Lake." Well I couldn't get back the day but at -40 degrees he got the coldest jobs the rest of the week.

The name of the town was chosen by Japheth Washburn. He wanted to call the town Bloomville, but people from the town of Bloomfield objected, saying that the similarity of names could cause confusion. Mr. Washburn settled on the name China, because it was the name of one of his favorite hymns. This widely sung hymn was written by Timothy Swan of Northfield Massachusetts in 1790 and was published in Swan's "New England Harmony" in 1801.

Edited syntax

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 142
-Receive: 179

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:25 PM »

When I was stationed in Maine 1983-1985 one of the Airmen on my crew was from China, Maine and wanted a 3 day weekend to go home. I told him I would give him an extra day off if he could tell me how the town came to be named China but he didn't know. I let him stew until shift change and told him he could have the day but when he returned I wanted to know why the town was named China. His response after the long weekend, "Because it's beside China Lake." Well I couldn't get back the day but at -40 degrees he got the coldest jobs the rest of the week.

If you'd've joined the navy you could have been this kid's Sea Daddy. 

__
Don
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 12 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold, Kymco GTi 300 & Kymco Yager currently

Thank You
-Receive: 24

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 12:20:05 AM »

Before heading out for Mt Katahdin, do some checking. It's been many years since I tried and was told no motorcycles allowed. Actually, a large part of north and northwest Maine is closed to all two wheeled vehicles. Acadia NP would be a must ride if you are on the coast. 

Kymco GTi 300 and  Yager + 11 others in the past.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 133
-Receive: 75

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 06:07:28 PM »

Kelly,

On the last ski trip my wife and I had to Sunday River in Maine, we stayed at a small but extremely clean motel (for one night on the way to SR) in Brewer called Colony Motel, operated by Lynn & Steve Hart. Just down the road (rte # 9), maybe a mile or so away is a place with a huge reputation for lobster rolls called The Eagle's Nest.  Not much to look at on the outside but the meal was better than great.  https://www.facebook.com/Eagles-Nest-Resturant-109411739080501/  

Check out Sunday River for the monthly North Peak Dinners if your schedule permits.  We took in the Harvest Moon Dinner one year as a spur of the moment - spontaneous kind of thing, and we still consider this one of the best things we have done.  We booked seats for the dinner and a room in the Grand Summit Hotel and got in the car for the drive.

The ~$60 dinner included a ride in the Chondola to the North Peak Lodge for a great several course dinner with local entertainment. Just as we reached to top of the hill, the full moon rose out of the White Mountains.  Just like Mastercard --- Priceless!

Maine and NH, we found to be most scenic and a nice drive.  About 8hr from NS.

Here's wishing you a great time in June ...

Here is an edit .... you have me think back a few years.

Also just realized that on this spur of the moment drive we stayed at the Casco Bay Inn in Freeport for an overnight stop.  That was a great place too. ( Casco Bay Inn, Freeport
107 US Route 1, Freeport, ME, 04032, United States of America, 866-299-2910 )  Dinner wasn't lobster rolls but rather the best pizza we had ever had .... at Antonia's.  Just about worth the entire drive for some of that pizza!  http://www.antoniaspizzeria.com/.  The shops of Freeport were really interesting as well.  Be sure to visit LL Bean if in town!

Mike
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 188
-Receive: 219

generic

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 08:38:14 PM »

Before heading out for Mt Katahdin, do some checking. It's been many years since I tried and was told no motorcycles allowed. Actually, a large part of north and northwest Maine is closed to all two wheeled vehicles. Acadia NP would be a must ride if you are on the coast. 

True, most of northwest Maine is owned by paper companies, so private owned roads. Maine law requires the areas remain open to recreation, hunting, fishing but they do not have to maintain the roads great for 4 wheeling but no motorbikes. Baxter State Park is also closed to motorcycles and on second thought I would not want to happen upon a moose while on a motorbike. On the other hand, towering above the relatively flat surrounding area, Mt. Katahdin can be seen from far away.
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 08:58:02 PM »

Kelly,

On the last ski trip my wife and I had to Sunday River in Maine, we stayed at a small but extremely clean motel (for one night on the way to SR) in Brewer called Colony Motel, operated by Lynn & Steve Hart. Just down the road (rte # 9), maybe a mile or so away is a place with a huge reputation for lobster rolls called The Eagle's Nest.  Not much to look at on the outside but the meal was better than great.  https://www.facebook.com/Eagles-Nest-Resturant-109411739080501/   

Check out Sunday River for the monthly North Peak Dinners if your schedule permits.  We took in the Harvest Moon Dinner one year as a spur of the moment - spontaneous kind of thing, and we still consider this one of the best things we have done.  We booked seats for the dinner and a room in the Grand Summit Hotel and got in the car for the drive.

The ~$60 dinner included a ride in the Chondola to the North Peak Lodge for a great several course dinner with local entertainment. Just as we reached to top of the hill, the full moon rose out of the White Mountains.  Just like Mastercard --- Priceless!

Maine and NH, we found to be most scenic and a nice drive.  About 8hr from NS.

Here's wishing you a great time in June ...

Here is an edit .... you have me think back a few years.

Also just realized that on this spur of the moment drive we stayed at the Casco Bay Inn in Freeport for an overnight stop.  That was a great place too. ( Casco Bay Inn, Freeport
107 US Route 1, Freeport, ME, 04032, United States of America, 866-299-2910 )  Dinner wasn't lobster rolls but rather the best pizza we had ever had .... at Antonia's.  Just about worth the entire drive for some of that pizza!  http://www.antoniaspizzeria.com/.  The shops of Freeport were really interesting as well.  Be sure to visit LL Bean if in town!

Mike

Alright then a food tour it will be!
Thanks Mike
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT, 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 33
-Receive: 124

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 04:05:43 AM »

Kelly,  you may want to try and see Acadia NP it is about 170 miles from Casco Bay.  That is the northern most point the sun rises in the continental US.  Very scenic park.  Bob and I were there in 2016. Took the coast highway. Very nice.  Congrats on your daughter’s wedding.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 12 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold, Kymco GTi 300 & Kymco Yager currently

Thank You
-Receive: 24

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 02:06:01 AM »

If you are going to only see one thing in Maine, make it Acadia NP. Cadillac Mt. in Acadia NP is the first place to see the sun during certain time of the year, winter months I think. During the summer months Mt. Katahdin has that privilege.
AKforza
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Email
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 07:05:35 AM »

Thanks all for the tips will be looking into the options   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: