June 20, 2019, 03:37:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Camera Field Test  (Read 426 times)
scooterwolf
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 19
-Receive: 26

Easy and Me

Email
« on: October 14, 2017, 05:31:46 AM »

For anyone interested in motovloging. The challenge of editing your footage involves dealing with the quality of resolution and color. I did some fields test to help with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpAa1oka-Ig

- Wolf
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 328
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »

Nice, thanks

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 249

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »

Interesting field test.  You subjected that camera to some tough lighting situations.  From looking at the original, unfiltered images, it appears that the camera was struggling with a very contrasty situation, and, in the first test, the camera seems to be exposing for the larger, darker background, rendering the whites in the upper portion blown.  Thatís not you, itís the shortcoming of a purely automatic camera.  Enter post processing.  You donít say which photo editing software program you are using, but Iím wondering if rather than adjusting color, try adjusting saturation and white balance, as well as the contrast.  I say this because, to me anyway, the original color is good, but needs some warming, but via saturation rather than adding any color.  You also might try increasing the definition to obtain a bit more detail in the image, especially in the helmet and your face.

The unfortunate thing with a fully automatic camera is that youíre stuck with what the camera thinks is the best exposure value, and will normally expose for the overall scene.  But it will bias that exposure, normally, on the largest area of exposure, and if that area is dark, then your whites can get blown.  If itís a very bright area, then you lose detail in the dark areas.  This can sometimes be fixed if your editing software will allow you to make adjustments to the shadows and highlight.  A really good program, such as Lightroom or Affinity Photo (designed specifically for Mac computers, which I see you have there) will also allow you to select a specific area that you want to modify and use a ďbrushĒ to outline or highlight that/those area(s). 

The other issue is that most of those video camera process their images in JPEG.  JPEG images are shot in-camera in RAW, then the camera does some processing to produce what it thinks is the properly exposed image.  The unfortunate thing is that the produced JPEG has lost some data, which only allows some limited post processing of the image or images.  The RAW image retains all the data, thus allowing much more control over the image processing.

Overall, (and this is just my opinion) Iíd say that the filtered images are a bit dark and the color too saturated, making the sky have an abnormal, orange color.  Again, Iíd keep the color as captured and play with saturation and exposure in post processing.    As I stated earlier, those were some very contrasty scenes and the camera was struggling with it.  I think it would do a very good job in other situations.

Thanks for posting the link to your YouTube.  I found it very interesting and informative.  Iím looking forward to seeing more.  And intersting comparison would be to do a side by side comparison of this camera and the GoPro.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: