December 18, 2017, 09:04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morphous Engine Swap  (Read 316 times)
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 44
-Receive: 67

Email
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:24:51 AM »

As soon as I became aware of the relative ease of doing the swap of the Morphs 250 for the 400 in the Majesty, I began researching it and looking for a wrecked Majesty. Recently one came up for sale-in my price range. I was able to get the titled frame complete. minus all of the plastics. I didn't try to run it because I figured on tearing the motor apart just to check everything before attempting the swap. I don't want to swap it then find out there is something that needs attention. I'll be pulling the engine apart using the PDF service manual. Hopefully I'll only need some new gaskets, because info, and parts, on both of these engines are lacking. If it turns out to be bad, I guess armed with some good measurements, I'll have to find something else that I can make fit without to much modification. I really like the Morphous a lot, but I need to be better able to run the interstates with it. I would like to keep it appearing as stock as possible- just more power and at lower rpms.
  At least for now, that's my plan. I'll also look into the possibility of swapping the Majesty forks or perhaps whole front end onto the Morphous. That will give me a larger front wheel and hopefully an even better ride. Progress will be sloooow, but I'll try to post updates and photos when there is something to report. As always, I'm open to any ideas, thoughts, and of course advice.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 162

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »

A very interesting plan; I intend to follow your progress.

I would like to keep it appearing as stock as possible- just more power and at lower rpms.

Your thought of keeping the Morphous "as stock as possible" with more performance appeals to me as well.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
bandito2
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 17

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 07:22:45 AM »

There is a guy over on totalruckus.com that put a Honda Silverwing 600 engine and
driveline onto a Honda Big Ruckus. It required some modification to the frame since
the Silverwing 600 engine is fixed to the frame with the driveline that pivots much
like a conventional motorcycle. The Yamaha Majesty 400 is conventional scooter with
the engine and driveline as a single unit so hanging it on the Morphous frame may not
require as extensive a modification as the Big Ruckus/Silverwing swap did. I think he
also did a swap of the front forks/steering/wheel & front brake that required some
modifications as well.

I'm just making a guess that the engine hang point may need to be moved back or out
for hang point width and/or engine clearance issues. Shock mounting points and body
plastics may also need modifications as well,  but you'll find that out once you get in
there to check how things need to fit together.

Even though they are different bikes than what you'll be using, it still might be of some
interest if for nothing more than an object of insights as to what may be encountered on
your project. The totalruckus.com member's name is sawman. I think it all starts here:
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5540&p=72333#p72333
but there are other threads related to the project. Kind of sucks what photobucket has done
making people pay for the image hosting service before allowing them to be viewed outside
ones image gallery on the site... pics may be irrelevant anyway since your project uses
different bikes.

Good luck with your project. (though we really know it takes creativity, determination, skill
and patience... and plenty of it since luck is such a rare commodity and hard to come by)
We realize it may take a big chunk of time to do, but please do keep us updated from time
to time on the progress... even when you run into things that slow the project down.

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
sevenwheels
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 20
-Receive: 7

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/chucktuna/library/Morphous?sort=2&page=1 This might interest you and our resident darksider. I have used the link across several platforms and they always display,some faster than others.
David

2006 Yamaha Morphous ,2004 Avalanche Z66, 2003 C240 Wagon,
2011 Spyder RTS
IBA 56167
Markas
"took the red pill"
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Yamaha Morphous

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 0

atheist anarchist psychonaut pharmahuascero

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 08:59:22 PM »

Thanks for the link, I was hoping to find that one again.
I've put 1200 miles on my Morph with odometer now at 3300 and would like some more power too, but it just runs so well I'd find it hard to justify the swap unless a "deal" Majesty just happens to fall in my lap. 

Markas
fuck trump
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 44
-Receive: 67

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 01:08:41 AM »

Unfortunately, the pictures are of little use without the accompanying write up, like it was originally on the Totalruckus board-and the write up, which is still there( although without the corresponding pictures)is a little better. The good news is that I previously had corresponded with Chuck Tuna, aka Charlie Meyer, and he was willing to answer any of my questions that might come up. A few of our RCR members know him also.
sevenwheels
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 20
-Receive: 7

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 01:11:53 AM »

I have my eye on an 09 with a trike kit on it. Sadly neglected but Iv'e heard it start and run. I will be pestering Charlie as well.
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: