October 21, 2017, 02:21:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morphous Front Wheel Hi-Viz Project  (Read 175 times)
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 160

Email
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:16:27 AM »

This was supposed to be a 'winter project.' Many of my projects fall behind their intended timetables; this one is an exception.

The front tire, an Avon Viper Stryke, was getting rather worn, and I have had a Power Pure replacement tire in the basement for a couple of months. With summer-like weather extending into early October, the odometer readings continued to climb, and the Viper Stryke was clearly not going last long enough before cooler autumn weather reduced the riding.

With some help from a mechanic friend to remove the wheel bearing and valve stem, the front wheel went on a journey to Hanover, Pennsylvania strapped to the cargo rack of my Yamaha FZ-09. The wheel ended up at a powder coating business recommended by the mechanic friend mentioned previously.

A couple weeks later, the wheel returned (in the trunk of my Accord on a rainy Monday), now sporting a 'safety yellow' powder coat finish that I found to be very well done while very reasonably priced. With the wheel bearing re-installed and a new valve stem in place, the wheel went to my garage and the tire changing stand for the next step.

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-01 on Flickr

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 02:23:51 AM »

With tire spoons, rim protectors, lubricant, a valve core tool, and air gauge having made their contributions to the project, the tire mounting operating concluded. Had a nick or scratch found its way into the wheel project, I would have been unhappy but hopefully would have gotten over it reasonably soon. But fortunately no such errors marred the tire mounting process, and out came the wheel balancer and weights.

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-02 by on Flickr

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »

With the tire now mounted and balanced, the next step was to re-install the wheel.

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-03 on Flickr

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-04 by on Flickr

A couple brief rides around town last evening, and my longer commute to work this morning seems to confirm everything went OK. I'm very pleased with the results, and glad to have moved this project up on the calendar.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 43
-Receive: 65

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 03:26:03 PM »

Looks great! Are you going to do the rear wheel also? When I get my Morph together(doing the 400 swap) I'll be doing my wheels too.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 02:50:16 AM »

Looks great! Are you going to do the rear wheel also? When I get my Morph together(doing the 400 swap) I'll be doing my wheels too.

Thanks, minimac! Looks like the answer to your question is very likely 'yes.' Aside from compliments on the front wheel, this is probably the most frequent question I have received. Although the v-belt case on the left and the exhaust on the right cover much of the rear wheel, enough is visible to leave the thought that something is missing.

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-05 on Flickr

Hmmm... police vehicle in the background. Better ride sensibly on the way home from work.

Arriving home from work, I took the following photo of the right side. Wanted the sun behind me for the shot.

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-06 on Flickr

An unexpected but pleasant surprise, Mimi stopped by to visit and for dinner. Her white Corolla is parked just beyond the Morphous. A great day all around! The rear wheel looks to need the same powder coating as the front to have a complete appearance. My original winter project didn't make it to winter; perhaps I now have another!

Also, I'm looking forward to following your 400 swap.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 280
-Receive: 638

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

That looks nice’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 10:04:55 PM »

That looks nice’

Thanks, Maggie. Another benefit of the powder coating became clear last evening. The wheel had a bit of grease 'fling' most likely from lubricant used when re-installing the axle. Out came the detail spray and a microfiber cloth, and the wheel cleaned near effortlessly, somewhat like cleaning glass. Only took a few seconds before the wheel again looked like it had just come out of the shop.

Following are a couple of flash photos from last evening, an attempt to simulate the view in another vehicle's headlights if both vehicles are approaching the same intersection.

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-07 on Flickr

Morphous-Wheel-Powder-Coat-08 on Flickr

Since the Morphous is often used after sundown, and well into the evening, this looks to be a good decision.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: