November 15, 2018, 09:56:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clutch relining  (Read 722 times)
Guido
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 1971 Suzuki T500, 2007 Yamaha Majesty

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: October 07, 2017, 02:40:01 AM »

Hello all, its time to replace my clutch on my Yamaha Majesty 400, I am at 50,000 miles and I need a winter project....    :D I am considering a Malossi clutch and bell, but I saw on Ebay that there are companies that will reline your clutch for a fraction of the cost <$60, the only thing is that they use Kevlar, has anyone used a reline service or should I just forgo it and get a Malossi clutch and bell? My brother who used to rebuild car transmissions asked me instead of buying new, just get it relined. If I do go with the relining, I will likely replace the bell with another stock Yamaha bell. Or does anyone have experience with some of the aftermarket clutches that are scattered for sale on ebay?  They are mostly from Italy and Great Britain.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 103

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »

If you got 50k on the factory clutch you should probably just order another one from Yamaha. Most aftermarket parts will not last that long.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 49
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 02:14:24 PM »

I had been thinking of getting mine relined if and when the time comes. With having 50k on the Majesty, I'm guessing it's an 07 or older. If so, you can upgrade it by getting a clutch from an 08-up clutch. Yamaha changed from a three shoe to a five segment clutch for a smoother, better engagement. Check for one at the various dismantlers.  For longevity and reliability, I don't think you can beat the stock unit. For better performance, you can "tune "the clutch by varying the springs. It is somewhat of a dark science and info is not too easily found, but it's out there.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Guido
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »

If you got 50k on the factory clutch you should probably just order another one from Yamaha. Most aftermarket parts will not last that long.

Actually this is the second clutch replacement, the first was at 31,000 miles.
Cosmic_Jumper
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 12:43:10 AM »

1) WT?...You ate two clutches in 50,000 miles? Something ain't right.

2) Be aware that a refurbished clutch 'may' have the new shoes rivited on to the clutch weights. If so then you'll get significantly less life from the refurbished one.

3) I wouldn't replace the bell unless it was scored or blued from over heating.

My 2

Tim

To rely on others is to seek disappointment.
Guido
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 04:30:04 PM »

I think part of the problem is moving  my 400 pound mass, likely hard on the clutch and driveline.
Cosmic_Jumper
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 3

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »

If Dr Pulley has a HiT Clutch kit available for the Majesty you might want to think about that conversion. The HiT clutch acts like a standard clutch at low RPMs but locks up at higher RPMs. So no slip once you get to 40 MPH or so.

But realistically, given the demand you are placing on your Majesty, you might really want to move up to a larger scoot --like a Silverwing.

Tim
Guido
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »

Hello all, I've torn it apart, the clutch is fine, at least 50% material left. The rollers in the variator appear to be binding up, in fact there was black dust  the roller tracks (rollers are black), I'm thinking my intermittent acceleration with vibration is from worn, or binding up rollers.  I've ordered new rollers and the proof will be when I put them in if the problem goes away then I'm fine.
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 37

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 10:52:53 PM »

Been there, done that. Best fix? Tmax. No more clutch problems/air cleaner element hassles/rapid 13" tire wear/lack of power on hills & passing/single front brake rotor/etc.

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
Guido
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 11:05:17 PM »

Nope, bought and paid for, I will ride it until either I or it are into the ground.  It hauls my butt around, I have no regrets.  If I need to ride a real motorcycle, I'll ride my sons Kawasaki Vulcan.
Guido
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »

The rollers were scratched up, and I felt it was prudent to replace them. I rode it and it is so smooth now. I think the grease in the rear sheave was so stiff, the torque pins were unable to slide smoothly to allow expansion of the rear pulley, it usually "jerked" upon takeoff and would sometimes not disengage at a stop. I switched to the Yammalube polyurea grease, the service manual said Bel-ray assembly grease, but it was like wax after 30,000 miles.  All in all, i think a good repair.
shyted155
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 2

Email
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »

good u fixed it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: