October 21, 2017, 02:20:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just had to say NO!  (Read 286 times)
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 371
-Receive: 190

Email
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:30:16 AM »

For over a year now I've drooling over this fellows DN 01.  Recently he said he had too much stuff and wanted to sell it and was considering swapping me for my 650 Burgman,  along with some cash. The fellow has a fake leg  and a step through would work real good for him . A couple days ago we swapped bikes and took them both out for a ride and everything looks pretty much like a go.
Well after the euphoria wore off and reality set in I too have too much stuff and decided not to get the DN01.
It's getting to the point in life where I need to simplify things and start downsizing I just have come to the point where I have too much stuff  and probably need to sell the Burgman out right since I haven't put 500 miles on it the season anyway.
Sure is a nice bike though the DN01!

06 Burgman 650
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800      Elioite #684
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 160

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 03:18:19 AM »

Sounds like a tough call, Lou. The DN01 would have been a lot of fun. I'm in a similar mode (downsizing, generally) and just finished another evening in the basement deciding what stuff we can do without.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 05:12:28 AM »

Sounds like a tough call, Lou. The DN01 would have been a lot of fun. I'm in a similar mode (downsizing, generally) and just finished another evening in the basement deciding what stuff we can do without.

My Burgman will probably sooner or later be sold. With 2 other bikes that I ride & with Diane's Burgman. Should be enough. Just don't want to sell with regrets later.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 59
-Receive: 93

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 06:40:10 AM »

You guys are forgetting rule #1:
He who dies with the most stuff WINS!

There are old scooter riders and there are bold scooter riders but there are no old bold scooter riders.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 160

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »

My Burgman will probably sooner or later be sold. With 2 other bikes that I ride & with Diane's Burgman. Should be enough. Just don't want to sell with regrets later.

I understand the thought. My Suzuki TU250X recently went to a new owner. Although I miss the Suzuki in the same manner as the Silver Wing and CBR250R, regret would be too strong of a description. The time and circumstances were right. But regret was a concern as I initially contemplated the sale.

The remaining street bikes, FZ-09 and Morphous, are dramatically different from each other, but they each hold my interest and hopefully the garage downsizing will end here. Don't want to stray too far from Expat47's rule #1.  :D
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 43
-Receive: 65

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »

As I peered into my garage and saw a motorcycle and four scooters, I came to the same conclusion, along with some 'convincing'- otherwise known as an ultimatum- from Mrs. Mini. I think I have a plan, and now need to work on buying some time to implement it!

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 280
-Receive: 638

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »

Yup, tough decision but it is hard to ride them all especially if it's easy to get to one or the other.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 12:31:26 AM »

Lou, what's my favorite bike?  The one I'm riding today!  Each bike has it's own charms and faults.  I'm sure you'd enjoy the DN-01, but like you said between the Goldwings, Burgman regular and trike, and the PC you have lots of favorite bikes.
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:29:55 AM »

Lou, what's my favorite bike?  The one I'm riding today!  Each bike has it's own charms and faults.  I'm sure you'd enjoy the DN-01, but like you said between the Goldwings, Burgman regular and trike, and the PC you have lots of favorite bikes.

In all honesty between the Burgman & the PC there really isn't much difference in performance & handling. Acceleration, cornering is almost identical between the 2 bikes. They both sit differently. PC is very comfortable and so is the Burgman with the assist of a Utpoia backrest & airhawk pad. And of course the Burgman is auto & The PC a shifty.

One of the reason's I decided against the DN01 is because the performance difference between the Burgman & it is so minimal and the shift pattern/setup is not much different than the Burgman and with the cruiser seating position on the DN01 is not much different than the Burgman. Even though their different bikes. Where the DN01 shines is in its ride. The bigger wheels & longer shocks make it a very comfortable riding bike. Like my PC & Goldwing.

That is probably the main reason the Burgman doesn't get rode much is because of it's rough ride in comparison with my other bikes. And might get sold because of the fact I will still have one in a sense. Even though the Burgman trike has the same rear shocks, Its not such a rough rider like its 2 wheel counterpart, Still gives me the grin though!
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 05:54:36 AM »

Lou, even though there isn't that much difference in the ride of the two, it's a little more then that.  The DN-01 has a lower center of gravity then even the Burgman, the seat is a good deal lower then the Burgman and it's lighter then the Burgman.  I was prepared for the DN-01 to be a total pig in turns, but I was very pleasantly surprised that at least for me it really isn't.  I'm not contradicting those that point out that the DN-01 has those floor boards that can scrape easily.  It's just that you still have to be pretty leaned to do that and the DN-01 is so easy to handle in every other way that you can easily compensate for the floor boards. 

It really is a pleasure to ride in many ways, however IMHO the seat is a bit of a torture chamber.  If I keep the DN-01 next year it needs a better seat.  After an hour I'm squirming and at the end of a five hundred mile day I'm wanting to donate the seat to my worst enemy.  This is a thing that can easily be remedied.  For me it's other shortcoming is a total lack of storage.  It took a little effort but I've found ways to compensate for some of that.  First there is in the words of Maggie "The evil top case", and if I don't want the evil top case on the bike, it now has the rack for the case where I can use a cargo net, or straps to secure luggage.  I'm not sure why Honda thinks that putting fiberglass over the gas tank instead of paint is a good idea, as it prevents a magnetic tank bag.

I know I sound a little crazy, but the DN-01 is just much better built then a Burgman is.  It kind of reminds me of days when I rented a lot of cars.  The rental company will always give you a pretty new car, but if they gave a Toyota Camry it just was and felt a lot more solid and better then if they gave you a Dodge Intrepid.  It's just my idea that Honda cares a lot more about quality control then Suzuki.
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 02:01:35 AM »

I have no doubt in my mind the DN01 is every bit a fine bike. And its rareness makes it even more attractive to this rider. With a PC  & Goldwing the last thing I need is another fully dressed Touring bike even though the bags & topcase come off in the matter of seconds. And I have a rare bike in the PC & in a sense my GW is rare since that Orange was only offered that one year.

Rich If your looking for some kind of storage Maybe you should look at this one & sell yours? Has only 6000 miles on it. I could hook you up with the seller. Its a beautiful bike & has an aftermarket Givi windshield.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: