December 18, 2017, 08:46:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Future?  (Read 460 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 281
-Receive: 641

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« on: September 20, 2017, 11:32:35 AM »

http://www.androidauthority.com/crosshelmet-smart-motorcycle-helmet-801245/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
CelticCross
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: CURRENT - 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd; PREVIOUS - Honda Met; Kymco People 150; Vespa 200GT; Piaggio MP3; Burgman 400; Vespa 300ie; Honda Forza 300; 2011 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 04:24:15 PM »

Just give me a helmet that provides the best protection for my head that I can afford. I don't need or want all of the distracting "smart" features of this helmet.

CelticCross
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 215
-Receive: 347

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »

I like tech and if it's integrated well then I would be very interested.  Especially once they get the components more streamlined, the helmet looks a bit bulky right now.

Reminds me a few years ago at Americade when a Yamaha rep pulled me to the side and asked me what features I would like between phone and motorcycle connectivity.  This kinda stuff is coming and the good stuff will stick around.

Practicing Normite.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 85

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 11:25:09 PM »

I don't need a heads up display, but I might like it if it was done right and didn't cost a ton.  On the other hand bluetooth with GPS is wonderful.  Knowing that a voice is going to tell me where to turn when I have uncertainty is really nice.  Also my music and control of it is really nice, and alerts that I got a text or email so I know if I need or want to stop and look.

One part to a heads up display that I don't think is easy to overcome is the fact that visors get scratched and have a relatively short life and replacing them at high cost would be prohibitive.  Also without starting controversy better helmets may not be very much more protective, but they should be more comfortable for long days.
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 17

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 02:27:42 AM »

I see helmets of this design and caliber happening in the future, but nowhere in the video was a price mentioned, so I'm guessing it's high. That's a hard hurdle
to overcome.

I'd also be afraid of being overly dependent on the helmet's technology. What happens if its power source is down? What is its power source? Given that the helmet is expensive (I think that goes without saying) then keeping it secure becomes vital. Not all MCs have the ability to stowe a helmet. Will this force the rider to keep the helmet with them all the time? That can be a hardship after a while.

How does the HUD footage work in low light situations? In fog? In the rain? If one has to lift the visor to see better in the rain, will rain water damage the interior components of the helmet?

Given its size can it be stored under a scooter seat? How large does a topcase have to be to store it as well?

Is there a blindspot between the front view and rear camera? If dust and dirt obscure the camera lens, does the helmet just become a regular helmet?

Last, given its size and thickness does the helmet's design become problematic to remove, or cut away in the event of an accident?

Not expecting anyone to have specific answers, but just my thoughts on the product.

- Wolf
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 95

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:47:23 AM »

I'm thinking "expensive" isn't going to cover it. My Nolan helmets have cost, on an average, 350 ($407US) and they're asking over 400 for the hi-viz version. And the sad part is, these prices don't even get close to the cost of a high end helmet. So, I'm thinking the correct way to express the upcoming price tag would be

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

There are old scooter riders and there are bold scooter riders but there are no old bold scooter riders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: