June 19, 2019, 12:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alaska Life  (Read 212 times)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 249

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« on: August 05, 2017, 05:32:57 PM »

I haven't posted a pic here in awhile, so I thought I'd do that this morning.  We haven't been to Talkeetna in awhile, so we took a friend,visiting our grandson, from Texas, there yesterday, since it was a beautiful day.  Fish Lake is one of my favorite places along the way because of the floatplanes there.  And to me it's just a pretty, very scenic place.  So I shot this with the iPhone and decided to share it. Oh, and Talkeetna is about 75 miles north of Wasilla, via the Parks Hwy and the Talkeetna Spur.  This pic is nothing particularly special, just a pretty Alaskan scene.  And I think floatplanes are the prettiest of the small planes.

Greg
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 101

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:52:17 PM »

Nice Greg.  May I ask what brought you and Peggy Suez to settle in Alaska? And how long have you lived there? I always enjoy your photography. Thanks.  I know you use to live in Idaho which Bob and I found absolutely gorgeous.  When it comes time to retire I want to move to a warmer climate.  I am tired of the cold.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 65

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 12:52:47 AM »

Agree with you Greg .... really pretty spot ! Do all the float plane owners have their own fuel supply or is "the gas station" at the docks in the lower part of the picture?

Idaho ?!!  My brother in Ottawa is planing a trip to Weiser for the eclipse on the 21st.  Any areas he should avoid or any must see spots?  He is staying in Boise at the Best Western on Sunday night then driving into the totality path for Monday

Mike
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 45

Just a Swangin

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 12:56:35 AM »

Very scenic indeed. 

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 325
-Receive: 811

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 12:59:18 AM »

I'm so ready to go!  Pete and I really want to make Alaska a bucket list place.   Lovely pictures, Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 133
-Receive: 162

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 05:53:14 AM »

The best photography is that which enriches memory.

__
Don
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 249

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »

I guess I'll reply with one post to anwer all responses, rather than do a quote for each one.  We move to Alaskas in 1951.  My dad was a wildlife management biologist with the U.S. Fish & Wild life service.  I was 5 at the time.  We lived in various parts of Alaska, and I graduated H.S. in Juneau.  We moved to Idaho in 2002 just for a change and the opportunity to experience some of the finest motorcycle riding there is.  In 2012 we moved back to Alaska because our daughter and son-in-law and grandkids live up here and we finally decided that it was cheaper to just move rather than commute 2-3 times a year.  We may have misjudged that one, but we're happy being back up here.

Float planes.  Most folks have their own fueling facility.  A lot of private owners have pickup trucks with an avgas fuel tank in the bed.  The facility in the photo is owned by K-2 Aviation and they have a huge fuel tank that is serviced by a big fuel truck.  This way the pilots working there can just come up to the dock and gas up the planes.  When pilots fly out to remote areas, they often make a couple flights carrying cans of avgas so they can fuel up out there, rather than fly back in to gas up.

The eclipse.  Weiser, Id is right in the path and will get the most effect of the eclipse.  Weiser is about an hour's drive, or so, from Boise.  I can't say that I know of any particular place that will be the best for viewing the eclipse, though.  Mike, your brother should be prepared for HOT!! weather, though.  August in Idaho is pretty much the hottest month of the year, and temps can go above 100/40 deg. C., and Weiser is one of the hotspots.  It will likely be quite crowded there, too.

Maggie, we have a spare bedroom!!  So, anytime.  I make a fair tour guide, too.

I agree Don, and that is pretty much why I take photos.  I have no aspirations of being professional, or selling photos to anyone.  I just like to record something that will make for a nice memory.  I don't know if anyone will care after I'm gone, but at least I can look on those photos and smile.

Thanks all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: