August 16, 2018, 01:08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disrespect  (Read 1778 times)
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 23

Easy and Me

Email
« on: July 23, 2017, 09:37:21 PM »

It's one of the favorite topics in scooter forum -- we're disrespected because we ride scooters. Whether it's from MC riders, or drivers on the road. However, it occurred to me that this may also be a plus. In other words, does this level of disrespect makes us better drivers?

Is there a push to earn respect on the roads by being better, more skilled riders, less aggressive, less squid-y, while also being vigilant as drivers (cagers) will tend to tailgate, aggressively pass and cut us off more often.

Does the cost of survival makes us better drivers?

- Wolf
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 307
-Receive: 731

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 11:12:30 PM »

In the ten years I've ridden a scooter I can honestly say the scooter disrespect has really disappeared. 

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 59

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 01:24:54 AM »

I've been to Deal's Gap numerous times on my Tmaxes and I've never heard a disrespectful comment at the end of the road.
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:15:20 AM »

I don't think there's an overt disrespect, but I get comments about why I don't ride a motorcycle, to get a 'real' bike. But it's also the tailgaters, aggressive passers and cut offs that bother me more. It could be I get it more in my city commutes, but on a road trip back from South East Pennsylvania I accelerated ahead of a pickup truck that was on my right while we were on the front line of a stop light. I had to get to an exit turn two lanes over.

When the light change I zipped ahead, far from cutting him off and made the turn. He took the same turn and then proceeded to tailgate me. I ended up doing 65 down a 45 road just to keep a comfortable gap between us.
When we made it to the interstate exit I was heading for he decided to blow by me doing 75. Guess he was pissed about being stuck behind a scooter.

These aren't isolated incidents. My wife and I were once illegally passed by a BMW driver on a two lane residential road. He nearly forced us over the double yellow lines as he accelerated by on our right side. I was doing the speed limit (probably faster), but it wasn't good enough for him.

I have a feeling many of us have had to deal with aggressive drivers. If so, do the tactics we come up with to safely deal with theses situations make us better riders?

- Wolf
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 62

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »

Wolf,
There are many idiots (or aggressive drivers ) on the roads. If I have one behind me I generally haul off and let him go past and let someone else deal with them.  I don't see these people lacking respect, I see them lacking any brains.  One time in Maine on the I-95 we were cursing along ( by car) at a bit more than the limit and one of these idiots flew past like we were stopped.  So, a few miles farther along we passed him as the police had him in "conversation".  Sometimes there is justice in this world.  I have had the get "a real bike" comment and that shortened that conversation.  But disrespect for being on a scooter?  Haven't felt that at all.  Actually when the bigger bikes wave (or wave back) I chuckle and wonder if they knew I was on a scooter.  Even the motorcycle police here, wave back.  The motorcycle gangs may have problems with scooters but they are in their own little world anyway.  Imagine if the "retirees" from a motorcycle gang decided to start up again.  Being older and likely broken that might all have to ride lighter scooters.  That would be interesting.
Mike
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 46
-Receive: 90

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »

Wolfie- That's not unusual behavior(especially for pick up drivers) in S.E.  Pa. You should be used to it, living in N.J. ! But yes, at least for me, it has made me much more observant of those I share the road with.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 307
-Receive: 731

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »

You know one of the conversations we are having in a TMax post is also how the disrespect starts...

It starts at the manufacturer level then to the dealer level and so forth.    Most don't supports the type of riding we do, they sell the scoots for a novelty or a drunk ride... 

Advertisement & education is so needed.

As far as other driver, they are jackholes no matter what.  I watch people daily that just don't know the common rules of road or better common respect of driving.  Do they even have drivers ed in schools anymore??

They self entitled assholes that text and talk on their phones just don't get it.  They are driving a two ton object that can kill themselves or others in an instants due to inattention.

gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 06:30:25 PM »

Wolf, I hate to say this, but the kind of disrespect that comes from the drivers of cages goes to M/Cs as well as scooters.  I ride the TMAX and I ride the FJR.  The badly behaved cages tend to treat the FJR the same way they treat the scooter.  Other riders now that's another story.  I used to say that when I blew away Harleys on the FJR the Harley riders just called me a jerk on the crotch rocket, but when I blew them away on the Burgman they just scratched their heads.
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 09:27:56 PM »

Yeah, 2-wheelers get shade thrown our way no matter what. Maybe I should have worded the thread about how drivers disrespect scooterist, and MC riders tease and hassle us (sometimes, and often with good intent). In any case, what's our response? Does it push us to be better riders out of the need to survive, or just to stand shoulder to shoulder with other 2-wheelers?

Wolf
Scootered
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 02:28:55 AM »

I don't think there's an overt disrespect, but I get comments about why I don't ride a motorcycle, to get a 'real' bike. But it's also the tailgaters, aggressive passers and cut offs that bother me more. It could be I get it more in my city commutes, but on a road trip back from South East Pennsylvania I accelerated ahead of a pickup truck that was on my right while we were on the front line of a stop light. I had to get to an exit turn two lanes over.

When the light change I zipped ahead, far from cutting him off and made the turn. He took the same turn and then proceeded to tailgate me. I ended up doing 65 down a 45 road just to keep a comfortable gap between us.
When we made it to the interstate exit I was heading for he decided to blow by me doing 75. Guess he was pissed about being stuck behind a scooter.

These aren't isolated incidents. My wife and I were once illegally passed by a BMW driver on a two lane residential road. He nearly forced us over the double yellow lines as he accelerated by on our right side. I was doing the speed limit (probably faster), but it wasn't good enough for him.

I have a feeling many of us have had to deal with aggressive drivers. If so, do the tactics we come up with to safely deal with theses situations make us better riders?

- Wolf

Sorry for the necropost, but you've just described my daily commute... In exquisite detail.
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 11
-Receive: 15

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 07:34:54 PM »

I never cared what others thought of my choice of ride - probably because I looked down on the stereotypical Harley rider.

CelticCross
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 90
-Receive: 142

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 06:37:24 AM »

The problem (or some of it) is the word itself and to all the varied and sundry wheeled devices it's applied to. Then, historically, if it's applied to a 2 wheel riding device the image of a 10in wheel 50cc Vespa from the 50's is the #1 image that pops into the average mind.

Now, it seems, the bureaucrats have attempted to misuse the word "moped" to describe the above mentioned machinery.

WE NEED A NEW WORD!

__
Don
Tn Traveler
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 06:22:26 PM »

How about " Mid-Range Riders "...I know! 3 words
Scootered
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »

I have never been asked any other question other than "what kind of moped is that?"

To which I reply, mere mopeds are required by law to have less than 50 CC engines, pedals for the chain drive, and don't require a license plate, or motorcycle endorsement on a driver's license. This 400 CC motorcycle has an automatic transmission, requires insurance, license plate, and an M-class endorsement. It's the wave of the future. Haven't you ever seen one of these before?

Always leaves them without anything other than a sputtering response.
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Receive: 15

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 11:31:30 PM »

The problem (or some of it) is the word itself and to all the varied and sundry wheeled devices it's applied to. Then, historically, if it's applied to a 2 wheel riding device the image of a 10in wheel 50cc Vespa from the 50's is the #1 image that pops into the average mind.

Now, it seems, the bureaucrats have attempted to misuse the word "moped" to describe the above mentioned machinery.

WE NEED A NEW WORD!

Compact motorcycle
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Receive: 96

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2018, 12:34:29 AM »

Nah, just motorcycle. All scooters are motorcycles.
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 04:01:03 AM »

I've been using the word motor-scooter, or highway legal scooter. It throws most people off, then I just tell them my bike can do 90. Plus, it's a cell phone world so I just tell people to look up my bike online. That gets either silences or approvals.

- Wolf
freak
RCR
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 4

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2018, 05:04:37 PM »

my response to any negative things about scooters is, lets hit the twisties
normally that's followed with a stunned look  .

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
jpowell692
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman 400, 2011 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Receive: 12

468863.jpg

Email
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »

When asked how fast will it go, I answer it will go 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit in most states but I'm not sure about some Western states with no speed limit. I always get a smile on response.

The more the miles, the bigger the smiles.
Tn Traveler
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »

When asked how fast will it go, I answer it will go 10 miles per hour over the posted speed limit in most states but I'm not sure about some Western states with no speed limit. I always get a smile on response.

I just comment "more speed than A*# in the pants".
Then explain it's a 600 motorcycle.
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 37

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »

I've been to Deal's Gap numerous times on my Tmaxes and I've never heard a disrespectful comment at the end of the road.

That's 'cause the folks who went out with you couldn't keep up.  What could they say?

Spyderist, formerly known as ZURG

If You Don't Ride, You Don't Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4mU8ZqMZPU
Spyderist
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '16 Can-am Spyder RT Limited SE-6, '08 Suzuki Burgman 400 w/Minitrike (better half's), '07 Honda Reflex Sport (also better half's)

Thank You
-Given: 7
-Receive: 37

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 04:00:27 PM »

Nah, just motorcycle. All scooters are motorcycles.

I generally just direct them to rear of my bike and point to the license ... it says MOTORCYCLE.  End of discussion.

Silver
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Given: 290

Email
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »

Agreed. I have gotten some small amounts of disrespect from others about my scooter in the past but it does not bother me one bit. People are still able to choose what kind of 2 wheeled machines they prefer and at the present time I prefer my Silverwing. Don't misunderstand, I love all 2 wheeled vehicles and have owned and ridden many types and sizes but scooters are cool to the bone and I will always own one.
msgtphil
Five of Five
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Current - Kwang Yang X-500, GL1100/Vetter sidecar

Thank You
-Given: 185
-Receive: 218

generic

Email
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2018, 10:38:16 PM »

It doesn't take much looking around to notice humans apparently come with an innate propensity to Identify and divide into smaller and smaller sub-sects in every aspect. politics; religion; acceptable foods; resided country, state, city, section of city; car, truck, motorbike driven/ridden. In every aspect some percentage are incapable of respecting or tolerating the beliefs, views or choices of others.
   It's not just scooters, motorbike riders have since the invention divided themselves into smaller and smaller sub-sects. The very occasional shout of "Buy a specific brand of motorbike" which oddly has always come from a passenger in a 4 wheeled vehicle have been, so far, while I was riding a motorcycle. Passengers in wheeled vehicles shouting brand names I reckon might be financially troubled motorbike dealers and it is possible I can't hear shouting from specific brands of motorbikes. There was the one time on a scooter I gave the wave to a specific brand motorbike rider and they responded with the #1 sign but evidently he had broken his index finger and I suspect the salute would have been the same for scooter or GL1800. All other occurrences have been from friends or acquaintances when I was riding a 750cc motorcycle, "When are you going to buy a big motorcycle?" When I bought it 15 years ago it was a big motorcycle, how long you been riding?
   Disrespect isn't necessarily a  bad thing and is often inspirational. When I first became curious about scooters a while back I came across a magazine article about a group that formed and began touring the country on Honda 250 Elite scooters. Now I'm not meaning to imply it was the sole reason the group formed but disrespect of scooters was mentioned as an inspirational element. Supposedly the group exploits touring the country on Elite scooters was instrumental in Honda's development and importation of the longer wheel based Honda Helix and big wheeled Reflex scooters the original 'maxi-scoots'. So it is possible that without a tad of disrespect the whole 'maxi-scoot' class of scooters might not exist or have been imported to U.S. and we would all be on some other forum and never gathered in Pennsylvania.

If you stand for anything, you have fallen for something.
avachava
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 03 SWing, 08 Kawi Classic 900LT, 08 Versys

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 16

Never ride faster than your angel can fly!

Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »

The classic event for me is when some macho rider
approaches and I throw out a hand.  Then his just
starts to come up but at the last second he realizes
it's a detested scooter and snatches it back in horror!
Looks away, embarrassed... God how I love that one!

Or the Harley rider who isn't paying attention beside
me at a light.  So I load the brakes and watch for
the yellow on the crossing signal.  Soon as ours goes
red (assuming no crossing traffic) I gun it and whiz
across the intersection while fat guy is asleep at
the clutch.

Seconds later I hear the anguished roar and said
HD blows by me going twenty-something over.

I pull up beside him at the next light (assuming
he hasn't been detained by the Law) and say,
"You have just been smoked by a MOPED!"

Absolutely Priceless.

Another tack is doing tight figure-eights in
the Harley dealer parking lot with my high
beam flasher and my brake light flasher going.

Or leading some through tight little twisties
about 10 mph faster than they can negotiate.

Or pulling a HUGE watermelon out from under
my seat and offering it to one of those cruiser
riders.  "You can have this one; I have another!"

Have fun with it!!

Time flies like an arrow;
Fruit flies like a banana
klaviator
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Yamaha Majesty, Kymco Super 8 150, Kawasaki Versys 650, Kawasaki KLR650

Thank You
-Given: 46
-Receive: 40

Email
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 01:15:14 AM »

I have seen this subject discussed on various forums but my personal experience is that I just haven't experienced that disrespect on my scooters.  I wave at other riders including Harley riders and most of them wave back.  I thought maybe it's just where I live but I get the same response everywhere I go.  Waved at a Harley rider the other day here in Ohio and he waved back.  

I often ride my scooter on "motorcycle" rides where everyone else is on a motorcycle and no one has ever given me any grief over being on a scooter.  If anything I get a lot of respect after they see what my scooter can do.

Maybe it's just me or the fact that I've only been riding scooters for about 7 1/2 years but I have ridden over 60,000 miles on scooters so you would think I would have experienced this disrespect by now.

So what am I doing wrong?

I ride, therefore I am
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 59

Email
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 05:44:26 AM »

For the most part I get more curiosity than disrespect.
People pull up next to me and ask "Is that a motorcycle or a scooter?"
I answer "Both."
Cube
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Silver Wing, 2018 PCX150, 2000 BMW R1100R

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 7

Email
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 06:48:36 PM »

The GF and I wave first, so if there's no return wave we call them a jerk in our Senas.  It's kind of a game for us, especially to see if we can get the 'Hardly' people to wave.  It's usually the sport squids who ignore us.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 90
-Receive: 142

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2018, 05:59:28 AM »

The classic event for me is when some macho rider
approaches and I throw out a hand.  Then his just
starts to come up but at the last second he realizes
<snip>
Have fun with it!!

Totally ripped you off & posted your story on FB just to bug my HD riding cousin(s) but I did leave you a "thank you" and admitted my plagiaristic bent to them.
Murf
Wind In My Hair, Bugs In My Teeth
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda 50, 90, 350, 750, VTX1300, SW600, BSA, Norton, BMW K100, Yamaha 175 Enduro and Vstar 1300, Harley 1945 Knuckle Head, VW trike I built.

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 11

Silver Surfer Rides Again

bemurphy22@msn.com
Email
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 10:11:13 PM »

Two years ago I rode big and loud bikes.  Then switched to Maxi Scooter, clutch hand gave out. I was worried about disrespect and a little hesitant to announce what I ride.  The two MC groups I will ride with overlook the Maxi Scooter due to its quickness, speed and outstanding comfort.  Not that they will admit or consider a Maxi Scooter but after seeing the performance and price. Maxi Scooters are as big as any motorcycle and now Honda is making gold-wings with automatic transmissions the tide is changing.  As far as disrespect on the road, I have a silver bike, white helmet and silver high vis jacket so drivers can see me.  My all blacked out wearing leather friends are moving targets more than me.  PS they do drive faster and play with their dash board clutter a lot.

Never seen a day I cannot overcome with a smile.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: