July 26, 2017, 10:34:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering about older Harley riders  (Read 461 times)
realbtl
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: I keep thinking of ones I left off the list so let's just say "A lot" and call it good.

Thank You
-Given: 4
-Receive: 25

« on: July 13, 2017, 10:59:20 PM »

I've been around here long enough to surmise that the average age is about prime Harley buying age.  Having spent a year trying to like my '16 street bob it made me wonder about how the other old farts really feel about their bikes and I'd welcome anyone else's thoughts. Because this was my experience.

Harleys are heavy and a bunch of the weight is up high.  Even with the engine running for gyroscope purposes it is not easy to maneuver or hold at a stop.  Some of the old farts I see on Harleys may be in great shape but I'd hazard a guess that the majority are not.  Once moving, no problem but they are a PITA when stopped or at low speeds.  My street bob was one of the lightest big H-Ds at #640, #180 less than my 'zuk s1000.  Plus the metric cruisers I've had all seemed much easier to move around.

Granted H-Ds are nice for cruising along straight roads but there are always stop signs/lights and considering the price, garages involved.

So my curiosity is piqued.  Do all of these older H-D riders just sort of put up with the weight/general porkiness because "it's a Harley (hog)" or is there something I'm missing?  Are they either newbies who don't know otherwise or who are returning after a long absence?  Is the purchased lifestyle that important?

Kind of long and rambling I admit but I enjoy speculating about things like this.  Your thoughts?

'86 Honda Helix
Ha! Probably something else in a bit
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 368
-Receive: 188

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:22:03 AM »

I don't know if there is any Harley riders left on this forum!
Not being a Harley rider yet being around motorcycles most of my life I'll offer this assumption.

I believe that most of the Older Harley riders have had Harley's all their lives & can't picture themselves on any other brand. Along with the lifestyle, tatoo's, t-shirts, HOG Groups etc. Most aren't willing to give that up.

I've been a GoldWing Guy most of my life. Always loved them even though I've only owned 4 of them in my life. And there was a brief period when I didn't have one. I still fancy & ride other bikes. Most of your die hard Harley Guy's wouldn't think of owning anything else.

06 Burgman 650
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800      Elioite #684
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 210

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:43:41 AM »

And then they trike them out.

Greg
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 44

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:12:49 AM »

I don't know if there is any Harley riders left on this forum!
I think I took care of that. 
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 43
-Receive: 58

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »

A big thank you, Mark!

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Helix, Nighthawk 750, Vulcan 750, 1983 GL1100, 1984 GL1200 trike, 2006 Burgman 400, 2007 Burgman 650, 2007 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 19

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 04:45:45 PM »

Harley's? You wanna see some Harley's?  There is app. 3000 in my city .... Cookeville, TN., this week ... 1.9 miles from my house.  It's the big H.O.G. Southeastern backroads rally or some such thing. GREAT for our city. A really big deal for tourism, etc., and  I sincerely WELCOME them here for the $$$ they will leave behind.

But and however.... when I pass by the staging areas, the merchandise  tents, the slow ride/skills  cone course, and so on ... it looks a lot like a cult meeting.   Bikes all look the same.  Riders all look pretty much the same.  They're all busy shining their chrome, boots and belt buckles.   Tuesday, while they are standing round yapping about riding, me and a buddy rode 377 miles on our ... scooters.

I don't mean to stereotype the whole lot.  I'm sure there are some nice folk there.  I know that it is a THANG, it's just not my thang.

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
realbtl
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: I keep thinking of ones I left off the list so let's just say "A lot" and call it good.

Thank You

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 06:17:56 PM »

I was more curious about how the riders cope mentally with the sheer bulk.  Moving or just holding upright a #650-#850 bike is a chore.  The Wings I've ridden in that weight class seem much more stable at slow speeds/stopped probably due to the weight being carried low rather than high on most of the H-Ds in my experience plus the more raked out front forks on a H-D tend to make the bike a bit more "floppy."  Anyway this was just an amusing exercise in speculation, I don't expect answers.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 8
-Receive: 74

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 08:05:11 PM »

My bad knees tell me to stick with bikes under 550 lbs. Just too much pressure backing up, moving around etc. Pretty much leaves out most Harleys and other heavy bikes.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 43
-Receive: 58

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »

.....I was more curious about how the riders cope mentally with the sheer bulk.  Moving or just holding upright a #650-#850 bike is a chore.  The Wings I've ridden in that weight class seem much more stable at slow speeds/stopped probably due to the weight being carried low rather than high on most of the H-Ds in my experience plus the more raked out front forks on a H-D tend to make the bike a bit more "floppy.".....

That's how the term Bar Hoppers came to be.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Helix, Nighthawk 750, Vulcan 750, 1983 GL1100, 1984 GL1200 trike, 2006 Burgman 400, 2007 Burgman 650, 2007 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 19

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »

Well, as far as H-D riders ... with a few notable exceptions ... a 700-900 heavy bike is no problem to handle ... if you don't really ride it that much.  It appears to me that many of these H-D's are gazed upon, conversated over, rubbed on ... more than ridden. There are exceptions to be sure ... Dave Willet comes to mind.  In any event, they put up with the heat, the shaking, the weight ... and the price, to be in the cult, er uh, I mean club. 

To each his, or her,  own.  I wouldn't begrudge anyone owning/ridding whatever suits them.  I just have to smile when I ride my $1800,  2007 Burgman 400 by these $25k machines and realize I having prolly more fun than them ... without the payments. And I don't have to wipe mine down at every gas stop:-((

Sirkitrider

EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 44

Email
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »

I rented a dresser Harley a couple of years ago and I can attest they are ponderously heavy and they feel like it. I've had 46 motorcycles so it's not like I'm a beginner, but I spent the whole day trying not to drop the thing.
It was comfortable on the highway, although massively underpowered and it spewed tons of heat on me. But I suspect a large percent of the big dressers never make a trip longer than the nearest tavern, so what's the point?
I miss the chopper craze. They were interesting to look at, as opposed to the rows of identical black dressers I see everywhere nowadays.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 84

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 06:03:44 PM »

Not meaning to pile on, but the service manager at Des Plaines Honda today was telling me that I shouldn't complain about my bikes throwing off heat until I try a dresser Harley.  It's also why I've made jokes about opening up a both at the I 90 rest stop near Sturgis to sell all the bugs and grim off my bike so they can take their Harley off the trailer and make it look like they "Rode In".
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 59
-Receive: 92

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 06:06:31 PM »

Not meaning to pile on, but the service manager at Des Plaines Honda today was telling me that I shouldn't complain about my bikes throwing off heat until I try a dresser Harley.  It's also why I've made jokes about opening up a both at the I 90 rest stop near Sturgis to sell all the bugs and grim off my bike so they can take their Harley off the trailer and make it look like they "Rode In".

There are old scooter riders and there are bold scooter riders but there are no old bold scooter riders.
realbtl
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 03:59:19 PM »

They had a Valkyrie (sp?) at the shop yesterday so I hoisted it off the side stand and rolled it around a bit.  What a difference from my H-D.  Felt about #200 lighter, easy to move etc.  I could (almost) see myself owning one of these if I was after a big comfy cruiser.  The contrast was huge.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 59
-Receive: 92

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »

They had a Valkyrie (sp?) at the shop yesterday so I hoisted it off the side stand and rolled it around a bit.  What a difference from my H-D.  Felt about #200 lighter, easy to move etc.  I could (almost) see myself owning one of these if I was after a big comfy cruiser.  The contrast was huge.

My uncle (I'm 69) had one a couple of years ago and loved it! He's now riding a Chief.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 210

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »

My friend, Dennis, had a GL1500 Valkyrie Interstate several years ago.  It was a sweet machine, and he put a set of Cobra 6-Pack pipes on it.  I think they were more pipes than mufflers, as they were earsplitting loud.  But it was fun, and at cruise, they just rumbled nicely along.  But crack that throttle and WOW!!  I got to ride it a couple times, and that thing had guts to it.  He sold it and got a Yamaha FJR1300 which he liked better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: