June 28, 2017, 05:45:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uh-oh.  (Read 168 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 213
-Receive: 345

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: June 19, 2017, 04:34:01 AM »

I had one demo ride at Laconia before the rain.  And maybe I shouldn't of.  I fell in love with the Ducati Multistrada 950.  On my way home on my brand new Versys I told myself, well the Versys is such a smart buy.  Half the price, great range and fuel economy, amazing handling, comfortable, the list goes on and on and you can fill a spreadsheet of all the smart reasons to buy a Versys.  And it is a great bike.

But the Multistrada just gets your blood pumping, fills you with riding passion and it's beautiful.  Even if you don't care for the overall design each and every piece of the bike just feels well made.

I'm not about to get rid of my Versys, I don't even regret the purchase but man, that Ducati is sweet.

Practicing Normite.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 77
-Receive: 48

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »

Dan, as you well know ... you certainty wouldn't be the first to build up a fleet of motorcycles .....

That bike really looks great, and just think how happy the Versys would be with a stable-mate.

Mike
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »

That bike really looks great, and just think how happy the Versys would be with a stable-mate.

Mike

No denying it would be great to have both but with limited space any secondary bike would have to be a different kind of ride.  The Versys and Multistrada are just too similar in mission for me to own both.  Granted, the Multistrada is much more powerful and is probably better compared to the Versys 1000 LT which I may also really like if I ever get the chance to try.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 209

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:26:52 PM »

Dan, just remember, Ducati's are fiddly motorcycles.  I like them, but I prefer not to have to always be doing something to or with them.  No doubt the "rush" is a big deal.  I have a friend who has a Multistrata and he loves it.  But he doesn't ride it all that much, though.  There's nothing like that throaty sound from a Duc.

Greg
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »

Dan, just remember, Ducati's are fiddly motorcycles.

I know they have that reputation and that it's quite earned but I think modern Ducatis are a different beast.  Maybe not as reliable as a Japanese bike but close.  The engine has a maintenance interval of 9,000 miles, with valve clearance inspection every 18,000 miles.  I think if you buy a BMW or Ducati or any marquee brand associated costs will be higher.  JB certainly shares some enlightening stories about his interactions with the Indian service counter.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 209

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:47:54 PM »

9000 miles is a respectable service interval, compared to BMW's, and 18000 isn't bad for a valve check.  I wonder what the cost factor is for a valve adjustment on the Duc. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: