August 17, 2017, 05:19:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Few Sorta Funny/Odd Things at Laconia Bike Week  (Read 180 times)
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 213
-Receive: 345

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« on: June 19, 2017, 04:10:10 AM »

First it was just bike day for me and to be even more accurate it was bike a few hours and then the rain came.  I rode up early Friday morning arriving at the Louden Speedway for the demo rides around 10:30 or so.  Surrounded by Harley's as is the case at Laconia Bike Week I arrived just in time to view the first two contestants for a bikini contest.  As the show ponies walk up and down the aisle an announcer tells the crowd (about twelve people) what are midnight snacks and favorite bikes of the young ladies.  I'm not a prude or uptight there is just something sad about this show, grey overcast skies, the woman are walking up and down between mostly empty folding chairs and most of the very small crowd are semi-circled at the entrance just peeping into the tent area.  That held my attention for about two minutes.

On my way to the demo tents a man asks me if I'm one of the racers.  I'm looking more PowerRanger than Pirate so I just chuckle and say no, here for a few demo rides.

Start at the Yamaha booth and sign up for the FZ-10, starts in about thirty minutes.  I walk over to the Ducati booth and want to sign up for the Multistrada 950 but it overlaps with Yamaha and the next available ride is too late in the day for me.  After walking back and forth between the booths like squirrel trying to cross a busy road I cancel at Yamaha and sign up for the earlier Ducati time slot.

Between Yamaha and Ducati is the Moto Guzzi booth.  I think of Moto Guzzi as a throwback company that just does things the way they have always done.  At the Yamaha booth they updated their sign up process once again, now it's all done on tablet with digital signatures and photos, they give you a Yamaha credit card instead of a wrist band.  This card is good for an entire year at any sanctioned Yamaha event.  Ducati has you sign up digitally as well but haven't moved to the card.  Guzzi instead hands you a clipboard and mumbles in English/Italian fill out the form yourself.  Hand it back, no card, no wristband no verbal confirmation.

Looking at the Guzzi bikes, I was trying to decide between the Roamer and Audace.  Speaking with one of the Guzzi reps, "I would like to try the Roamer or the, not sure how to pronounce (phonetic) Awwdays?", she looks at me and says, "(phonetic) Awwdewchie".

Walk over to the Indian booth while waiting for Ducati ride.  Man and woman walking past a beautiful seafoam green/cream Indian Chief.  Woman, "Wow, this is beautiful".  Man, barely audible grunting, "No".  Walks a few steps forward towards a black Indian Chief and can't take his eyes off of it.  Sigh.

At Ducati booth for pre-ride info.  Ducati Rep tells all, you must obey all posted signs and road rules, any offenders will be pulled over and told to walk back.  Literally the first turn out of the grounds and the ride leader has us bombing down a 40 mph road at 80+ mph.  Railing around blind corners and passing others in formation.  It was a wild ride.

Then it rained.  I went home.

Practicing Normite.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 89
-Receive: 50

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »

You tell a great story Dan ... enjoyed your "report".    

Can Am Spyder held a demo day weekend here end of May. (I think they did ... it poured all that weekend.)  I was interested enough to visit the dealer prior to the weekend to sign up and check what riding experience might be necessary.  When I pointed out I have only ever ridden the Silverwing, ( ie. no shifting experience) it was suggested I skip the demo group ride as the pressure of keeping up may ruin the experience for me.  I am to select another day for parking lot instruction on the Spyder and then take one out on my own.   Sounds like Ducati was laying down some pressure.

Mike
Dan
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 213
-Receive: 345

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:27:48 PM »

Can Am Spyder held a demo day weekend here end of May. I am to select another day for parking lot instruction on the Spyder and then take one out on my own.   Sounds like Ducati was laying down some pressure.

Mike

Mike, I went on a Ducati DiavelX demo ride last year at the same grounds and it was the same only in the pre-ride we weren't given the ride safe obey laws lecture.  Matter of fact one of the Ducati reps said, "what happens on the trail stays on the trail", a much more honest proclamation.

The Spyder booth at all the events I've been to have a parking lot test ride as well as a road test ride.  Maggie will have to chime in here, not sure what is so peculiar about riding them that has them being so cautious.
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 89
-Receive: 50

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »

I think the sales rep just saw in-experience and didn't want to have to repair one.   Looking at one in the show room on that short visit, a lady waiting for one to go for a test ride, explained the shifting in a few minutes.  Extremely fool proof and simple.  When we get a nice day I'll have to go for "my" parking lot instruction.

Mike
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 159

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:48:48 PM »

It was a wild ride.

Then it rained.  I went home.

This was an unusually abrupt end to one of your fairly long but enjoyable posts. However, the rain has a way of doing that to a motorcycling story. Glad you had the opportunity to complete a demo ride first. Haven't been on a demo ride in quite a while; they leave me wanting more and I'm nowhere near enough ready to buy.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 212

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:44:53 PM »

Can Am Spyder held a demo day weekend here end of May. I am to select another day for parking lot instruction on the Spyder and then take one out on my own.   Sounds like Ducati was laying down some pressure.

Mike

Mike, I went on a Ducati DiavelX demo ride last year at the same grounds and it was the same only in the pre-ride we weren't given the ride safe obey laws lecture.  Matter of fact one of the Ducati reps said, "what happens on the trail stays on the trail", a much more honest proclamation.

The Spyder booth at all the events I've been to have a parking lot test ride as well as a road test ride.  Maggie will have to chime in here, not sure what is so peculiar about riding them that has them being so cautious.

They're probably concerned that people who ride regular motorcycles aren't used to shifting without a hand clutch lever, and that people who have never had to shift a bike just won't know how in the first place.  It's their way of attempting to get around the liability thing.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: