August 16, 2018, 04:58:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many CC's Does a 5'9" 240 lb Man Need for a Mostly Highway 40 Mile Commute.  (Read 1170 times)
Tromper
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: k6 Burgman 650 (sold) k8 Sym HD 200 (current ride) k10 MP3 400 (sold) k7 Burgman 650 (current ride)

Thank You
-Given: 3
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »

The Forza is pretty much the slowest of the Mini Maxis, think it's even losing a step on the big Vespa.
If you're looking in that category the BV350 is pretty much the class of it for speed, & has a good name.
The SYM Citycom, 2016 and newer will probably hold up by the stats, I've never seen one though I'd love to try one.  The older ones are more like the Forza or even a hair slower.
The Kymcos , GTI300 (big wheels flat floor) & the Downtown 300i (configged more like the Japanese maxis) both reportedly do the speeds OK.  I've ridden the GTI, rather like it truth be told.

And I do note my HD200 will do 70ish as well, but is probably not what you're looking for.  Fun bike though.

The big things to check would be dealer support (locally), & really as a new rider if you can get used you're coming out ahead since odds are fair you'll drop it at some point.

Please let us know whatcha decide, & always keep the shiny side up.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
carewser
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda 70 Passport, Yamaha 185 Exciter, Yamaha 250 Exciter, Kawasaki 550LTD, Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, Yamaha Virago 1100

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 11

Email
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 11:10:00 AM »

Agreed.  I think that you rarely hear that too much power can get you into trouble as Buffalo wisely points out.  How many people have purchased a bike they can't control and gotten into trouble as a result?  

That's a good point, when a buddy of mine was younger he had a 750 and was sure that thing would have killed him had he not sold it, he just loved the throttle too much. I'm the same way but i've never owned any fast bikes to kill myself with but i've still landed in hospital a couple of times.

The OP mentioned the Harley 883 Sportster, but does he know that Harley now make a 500 and a 750 just in case he doesn't want to be seen as some wimpy scooter rider?

Bitch please
Blacktruck
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2017 650 Burgman

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 0

dcotop
Email
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 03:25:14 AM »

I have both a Burgman 400 and a 650. I am 6 feet tall and weigh about 230 lbs. Both bikes can get the job done but on a windy day, the 650 is more stable.  It's like driving a light weight sports car or a much heavier limousine. You've got to pay more attention while in the sports car.
Gotta agree with this. The smaller bikes will get you there but the stability and ease of cruising at highway speeds makes this the one for me. Almost 6' and the room on the 650 with the backrest removed is really nice to have if you get out on a longer ride. Any of them will do around town but the 650 really shines on the highway.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: