September 23, 2017, 12:22:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTB ... Corbin seat for the 400  (Read 678 times)
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Helix, Nighthawk 750, Vulcan 750, 1983 GL1100, 1984 GL1200 trike, 2006 Burgman 400, 2007 Burgman 650, 2007 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 20

Email
« on: April 16, 2017, 04:38:58 AM »

Want to buy a Corbin seat for my 2007 400.

Thanks, Sirkitrider

John 3:16
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Helix, Nighthawk 750, Vulcan 750, 1983 GL1100, 1984 GL1200 trike, 2006 Burgman 400, 2007 Burgman 650, 2007 Burgman 400

Thank You

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »

Well,  I never found a used Corbin for my 400 .... So, I bit the bullet and bought a brand spanking new one.   $$$ Ouch.   The only other new seat I have owned was a Mustang on my VN750 back in the day. 

My initial impressions...

First off, I was little leary of buying a Corbin brand new b/c of cost AND negative feedback about  their customer service.   My seat came exactly 2 weeks after I ordered and was everything it was supposed to be.  As you see in pics ... packaged extremely well. At these prices though I think they should have included a bottle of their leather conditioner. (And a seat cover, and a new pair of riding boots:-)

I expected the seat to be hard.  It is not.  It is firm, very firm but I would not describe it has hard.  It supports my hinnie quiet well.    It is 100 times better than the stock seat!!!  After 600 or so miles ... 294 yesterday... and some tinkering with the backrest ... I'm really pretty pleased with the purchase.  It looks awesome.  Made the bike look like a whole different bike. 

The seat raised me up about an inch, maybe inch and a half ... which is great.  Still flat footing with a 30" inseam.  Seems to be a little further back than stock seat with buttrest on.  Could have been back a little more maybe ... but seems okay.  Way less vibration felt in the hinder parts than the stock seat.  And better shock absorption over bumps.  (IMHO, shock absorption is one of the most under appreciated things about a new fancy smancy custom seat.  Better shock absorption from the seat itself supports the lower back and hips better ... hence improving the ride.)

The only downside, besides the cost, is that I feel a little pushed forward on the seat.  We'll see if this changes after break in period.  If not I think I can shim the nose of the seat up a little bit? 

I have a used Corbin on my 650.  The Corbin on the 650 is better ergonomically ... IMO.  The 650 seat is deeper and has better back support.    But the Corbin on the 400 is a massive improvement over the stock seat.   To me, worth the  "investment"  if you plan to ride a 400 well into the future ... which I do do.  Of course, after spending $573 shipped,  I'll have too ...

Used backrest off my used Corbin from the 650.  It will move from bike to bike.  Not a perfect color match but close enough. 

Sirkitrider
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 43
-Receive: 64

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »

Like you , I have a Corbin on my 650 Burger. Mine is the "long" seat-lots of room for me,so much so that if I'm back against the backrest, I have to stretch a bit to reach the handlebars. It is fabulous. I hope you'll be as pleased with your new one after breaking it in.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 59
-Receive: 93

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »

I agree, for that kind of money a seat cover would have been nice & it's not like they don't have the plans.

There are old scooter riders and there are bold scooter riders but there are no old bold scooter riders.
Carol
RCR
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 07 Silverwing, 15 Tmax

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 8

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »

Hmmm, now you've got me thinking.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 44

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 05:46:23 AM »

I've never owned a Corbin set, but I've ridden a lot of bikes with them.
Every one was comfortable and definitely firm.
dogboy
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2009 Genuine Buddy 125 (Boo Boo), 2013 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS (Ingrid)

Thank You
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 11:15:13 PM »

sirkitrider-2, can you give us an update on your experience with your Corbin seat?  I'm about to pull the trigger on one for my B400 and your input would be invaluable.

Born to be mild.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:20:17 AM »

sirkitrider-2, can you give us an update on your experience with your Corbin seat?  I'm about to pull the trigger on one for my B400 and your input would be invaluable.

Dogboy,  I've had the Corbin on just under two months.  I have ridden about 1800 miles.  Days of 294, 408, and 377 this past Tuesday.   "Break-in" is accomplished.  I noticed on Tuesday's ride that a "pocket" has developed under my hinnie.  The seat no longer feels like it's pushing me forward.  Instead the "pocket" tucks my tuckas in nice and comfy.   I can't say enough about how good the seat is, how much better its supports not just "my seat" ... but also hips, back, legs.  As I mentioned earlier, the shock absorption of the seat is a huge improvement as well.  I really can't believe how it changed my perception of the whole 400 experience. It just made the scoot feel like a whole different scoot. It's a little hard to explain, but it is not only more comfortable in terms of the seat, it is just a better designed seat for the 400.  I feel more "at one" with bike in the turns and just more relaxed on the highway.   

I'm 6ft., 270, 30" inseam.  The seat, with a backrest,  is just a great ergonomic match for the Burgman 400.  It matches me to the Givi windshield great and I can flatfoot comfortably.  I have not one single regret with the purchase.  It is way better than I expected.  I was hoping to be reasonably happy, but I am ecstatic with it.  And I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to seats.  If you decide to get one, I hope you'll be as happy too.

Sirkitrider
dogboy
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2009 Genuine Buddy 125 (Boo Boo), 2013 Suzuki Burgman 400 ABS (Ingrid)

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 05:16:31 AM »

Sirkitrider,
I am grateful for your response and now have enough confidence to move forward.  My shape is a little different, but I see no reason why it should matter, other than it might take me a little longer to do the break-in since my "tuchas" might be slightly less "zaftig" than yours:  5' 9", 165 lbs., 32" inseam.  It looks like you have achieved exactly what I'm hoping.  Of course, most people love the Airhawk while I found it useless, so obviously mileage may vary.

Thanks!!

dogboy
CelticCross
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda Met - SOLD; Kymco People 150 - Sold; Vespa 200GT - Sold; Piaggio MP3 - Sold; Burgman 400 - Sold, Vespa 300ie - Sold, Honda Forza 300 - Sold; 2011 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 3

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 01:34:35 AM »

Sirkitrider,

As a vertically challenged rider I am a bit concerned regarding the increased height of the seat. Do you know if Corbin will make a seat a bit narrower than the standard seat to help shorter legged folks reach the ground easier?

Did you get a stronger seat shock, continue to use the original, or disconnect?

Does this seat affect under seat storage in any way?

Thanks,

CC

CelticCross
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 02:35:42 AM »

Sirkitrider,

As a vertically challenged rider I am a bit concerned regarding the increased height of the seat. Do you know if Corbin will make a seat a bit narrower than the standard seat to help shorter legged folks reach the ground easier?

Did you get a stronger seat shock, continue to use the original, or disconnect?
Does this seat affect under seat storage in any way?
Thanks,CC

CC,

When you order from the website, You have an opportunity to put in you height, weight, inseam.  I left that blank, so I guess they just sent me the "stock" off the shelf version.  It is my understanding that if you need them to they  will narrow up the front/sides of the seat to help with flat footing.  I also called them and the customer service gal was very helpful.  So I guess with your concerns you might wanna talk with them to be sure.

I still have the stock shock on ... it will not hold the seat up.  I use a small piece of wood board to prop the seat up.  I use a topcase, so I'm only under the seat occasionally.

No effect at all on the storage. Locks and unlocks easily.  I had to tweak it just a tad when I first installed by twisting the seat thus twisting the hinge a bit.

Initially, I felt the seat pushed me a little forward but that resolved after a couple thousand miles.

It's a great seat!

Sirkitrider
CelticCross
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Honda Met - SOLD; Kymco People 150 - Sold; Vespa 200GT - Sold; Piaggio MP3 - Sold; Burgman 400 - Sold, Vespa 300ie - Sold, Honda Forza 300 - Sold; 2011 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 3

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 07:11:34 PM »

Thanks mate - very helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: