October 21, 2017, 02:20:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bet and Win 250 fuel filter  (Read 1124 times)
DanB
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2005 Kymco Bet and Win

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: December 30, 2016, 09:09:19 PM »

Recently I purchased an 05 BW 250 which appears to have some fuel issues. When cold runs higher than normal rpm on auto choke as it spins the back tire on the center stand extremely fast and if you drop it off the stand before the choke closes, I feel the engine wanting to push the bike and have to use allot of braking to stop it. Can't get over 70 mph and recently kept dying on me at idle. A little history, bought an 11 year old bike with 900 miles so it's say a bunch and probably has crud in the carb. Owner provided a brand new OEM carb too. I've run seafoam and refilled with new fuel. I'm going to drain the fuel tank and replace the filter before replacing carb to see if that fixes it. An OEM filter for the BW is 16 bucks plus 25 for shipping. Ouch. Can one not use other Kymco fuel filters like for the Venox as I found those on eBay cheap or can I use a Honda Metropolitan or Ruckus filter I can buy locally? I have no local Kymco dealer here?

Dan

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bandito2
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You
-Receive: 17

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 01:16:16 AM »

Probably any decent automotive/agricultural/sport/recreational vehicle fuel filter should be adequate.
They are a simple device and they work pretty much the same way and should be at the very least,
near equally as effective at filtering fuel. It should however, have the same size of inlet/outlet. A too
small diameter inlet/outlet may be too restrictive to fuel flow or may not have an adequately sized
filtering area that could clog too easily/quickly. Personally, I wouldn't be averse to using a fuel filter
for a lawn mower... but YMMV. Get what is available at the dealership if you feel like you must get a
fuel filter for a bike... Any one of those that will fit the fuel line for a carbureted engine should be just
fine (fuel filter for a FI engine may be different) and you'll save the ridiculous shipping cost.

Southeast Michigan Dark Side Rider
4 Honda Reflex scooters & a FSC600A Silverwing
Originator of the "Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me
DanB
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »

Thanks for the tip.
DanB
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 03:42:09 PM »

Probably any decent automotive/agricultural/sport/recreational vehicle fuel filter should be adequate.
They are a simple device and they work pretty much the same way and should be at the very least,
near equally as effective at filtering fuel. It should however, have the same size of inlet/outlet. A too
small diameter inlet/outlet may be too restrictive to fuel flow or may not have an adequately sized
filtering area that could clog too easily/quickly. Personally, I wouldn't be averse to using a fuel filter
for a lawn mower... but YMMV. Get what is available at the dealership if you feel like you must get a
fuel filter for a bike... Any one of those that will fit the fuel line for a carbureted engine should be just
fine (fuel filter for a FI engine may be different) and you'll save the ridiculous shipping cost.

Since I'm new to Kymco scooters, I assume one accesses the fuel filter by removing the underseat storage box to get to the carb/fuel line?
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 280
-Receive: 638

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »

When home later today I will send you my Bet & Win manual... it's in PDF format. 

Email to this address:  letsride94@gmail.com  and I will email you the service manual.  It was an invaluable tool for me.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
DoubleJ
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Burgman400, 2009 Kymco B&W 250, 2009 Yamaha 125 BW's,2001 Kawasaki ZZR250, 2008 Honda 125R,1975 Puch Maxi S,1974 Casal Boss, 1960norman Nippy Mk.4, 1982 Honda MB5

Thank You
-Given: 8

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:30:19 PM »

Bet and Win 250's had a recall for the choke/bystarter. That is what causes the high revs. 10 minute fix once you have a new bystarter in hand.
EZMark
RCR
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 44

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »

If the bike sat for years, you will have to pull the carb. Today's gasoline will dry into a solid varnish and clog the carb jets. No amount of Seafoam will fix it. You'll need to run wire through each of the jets. I'd suggest you have it done at a reputable shop.

Think of it like your teeth. You can use all the mouthwash you want but you still have to floss off the plaque.

In the case of your old scoot, you need to have a cleaning at the dentist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: