December 14, 2018, 06:38:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This Diesel-Powered Scooter Packs More Utility Than a Swiss Army Knife  (Read 197 times)
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: '18 Yamaha Xmax 300, '14 Vespa 946, '81 Vespa P200e

Thank You
-Given: 132
-Receive: 56

Email
« on: October 05, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »

https://gizmodo.com/this-diesel-powered-scooter-packs-more-utility-than-a-s-1518662154

If I started telling you about a new all-wheel-drive, turbodiesel-powered off-roader, you'd probably think I was talking about a 4x4 truck or SUV, right? Wrong. Check out the RNT, a concept from Indian motorcycle company Hero that could be the only back-country survival tool a motorcycle adventurer would ever need.

The scooter's rear wheel is powered by a 150cc turbodiesel engine, while the front wheel spins on an electric motor—that's right, it's an all-wheel-drive hybrid. The diesel engine doubles as an electric generator for camping or off-the-grid work sites, and the LED headlight detaches to become a flashlight. And with package shelves in front of the handlebars, behind the seat, and on either side of the rear wheel, the RNT promises to carry more cargo than any two-wheeler has a right to.

Why such a burly machine? India is a nation that gets around mainly on two wheels, so a workhorse like the RNT, with two-wheel-drive traction for rough terrain and a fuel-efficient diesel engine that can supply electricity when it's not plying the roads makes perfect sense. And the all wheel drive bit is just plain cool; the only other two-wheel-drive motorcycles out there are either poky backwoods tractors or oddball freak machines.

Hero's promotional video shows just how utilitarian they wanted the RNT to be. There's no gleaming showrooms or slick lighting here; this baby's meant to be a motorized mule.

Show up on time, do your best and don't grumble about the outcome.
CelticCross
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: 2016 CanAm Spyder RTLtd

Thank You
-Given: 12
-Receive: 17

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:39:52 PM »

Interesting - but would have liked to see the scooter being ridden down the road/across the field, etc..

CelticCross
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 316
-Receive: 773

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 08:37:33 PM »

This looks interesting.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
Virginian
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: '18 Yamaha Xmax 300, '14 Vespa 946, '81 Vespa P200e

Thank You
-Given: 132
-Receive: 56

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 11:30:41 PM »

It's off the beaten path but I though the ability to be a generator was notable. Maybe run your freezer during a power outage for a short while. I can't say it's a thing of beauty either.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 50
-Receive: 96

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »

I like the looks! Very utilitarian.

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: