December 11, 2018, 11:36:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vespa 250 GTSie stalling at idle  (Read 6099 times)
meenoveeno
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:45:51 PM »

Hi there everyone,

Thought I would post an update now that I've been riding my Vespa for a few days.  I put a couple of hundred KMs over the weekend and all was fine until the engine began to stall while accelerating from a complete stop.  It happened a few times, mostly when taking off from an intersection when the light changed.  Engine would just sputter and die as I gave it some throttle.  Other than that I have had zero problems. 

I called the shop who recently worked on the bike and was told this is an issue that has been coming up quite a bit.  I was told this is due to fuel contamination in the gas station's tanks.  Lots of scooter and motorcycle riders use higher octane/ethanol free gasoline but as the price of Super has been rising people are switching to Regular and the higher octane fuel ends up sitting longer in the storage tanks, collecting contaminants and water from condensation.

I was told to add a bit of gas line anti-freeze to remove any water in the tank.  I know some people also use SeaFoam as a fuel additive but I wasn't sure if it also helped remove water so I'm going with the anti-freeze and it seems to be helping.  Only had a couple of stalls since adding some to the tank.

Anyone else have this issue recently??

Any SeaFoam users in the group who can give me a recommendation??

Cheers,

M
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 316
-Receive: 772

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

Here is a thread at Modern Vespa that might be helpful:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic7408

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
meenoveeno
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »

Thanks Maggie.  I read the thread and there are lots of good advice there.  My problem isn't as sever as it only happens sometimes when I take off on a green light or at a stop.  It has happened a lot less since I added some gas line anti freeze to absorb any water that could have been in there.  I plan to try some SeaFoam later on if the problem doesn't resolve with the anti freeze. I have just heard of a fuel pump recall on the 250 GTS so I will also check with my local Vespa dealer.  Maybe this is related...

Other than that scoot has been great.  Love the suspension on the Vespa.

Cheers,

M
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: