October 17, 2018, 09:59:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western North Carolina visit  (Read 1637 times)
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 112
-Receive: 177

Email
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:33:10 AM »

Mary and I just returned from our second visit to western North Carolina, spending time in Asheville, Hendersonville and much of the surrounding area. This visit actually came together on very short notice and, although unable to meet personally this time, I have been in contact with Mike (Driller) and Vic (Yellow Jacket). Apologies if there are other maxi-scoots.com members in the area, but their names were the ones I remembered.

Nothing definite and no irrevocable plans, but we are considering a relocation to the area in the next couple of years. My current employment contract runs through June of 2018, at which point 31 years (what? how did that happen?) will have accumulated in the retirement plan. Right now, I would estimate asking for a new contract in 2018 to be quite a bit less than a 50% likelihood. Things happen, though.

We really enjoy western NC, set up an account with a realtor, and looked at some available properties. Although those properties will likely no longer be on the market in 2018, it helped focus our attention on where and what types of properties we'll pursue. On our way back to Maryland yesterday, we were already discussing our next journey. We plan to visit during each of the seasons.

This is clearly the front end of a long process, but we'll see how everything goes and whether it goes anywhere close to the plan, tentative as it may be. But I would definitely like to meet Mike and Vic in person during a future visit.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Helix, Nighthawk 750x2, Goldwingx2, Vulcan 750x4, Burgmanx4, Vstrom, Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 37

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 03:25:11 AM »

redeye,

Western NC IS great.  We lived in Hendersonville for two years.  However, it's a taxing state.  Consider moving to beautiful east TN., NO income tax and property taxes are cheaper AND real estate is also cheaper.  And you could ride in the Western NC mountains anytime you you want.
Just a thought.
Sirkitrider

John 3:16
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 313
-Receive: 755

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 01:25:17 PM »

Sweet!   Enjoy the process.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
kramnalap
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: '09 Yamaha Majesty YP400

Thank You
-Given: 34
-Receive: 18

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »

Transitions are a part of the spice of life. We moved half way around the world at the same time we became empty-nesters. Embrace it, and enjoy the ride.
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 10 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold Kymco GTi 300 currently

Thank You
-Given: 12

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 04:19:16 PM »

Redeye, sorry we couldn't get together while you were here. I'm a Michigan transplant, moved here 19 years ago. Wife has family fairly close. Summers here are cooler than in SE Mich. and the winters are MUCH warmer. One thing about living here, you need a GPS to go anywhere, but I think that is a good thing. Driller and I will be doing a day ride probably this Thur. Come join us.

Kymco GTi 300 and  Honda Elite 150 + 11 others in the past.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 46
-Receive: 95

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 05:03:56 PM »

Not to mention for the most part, the roads are much less congested! When it's time for me, I'm going to eastern Tennessee. I hope all the Florida transplants don't ruin it by then.   

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 07:14:39 PM »

Thanks very much to all for the support and good advice. This is definitely the time to evaluate and decide.

Redeye, sorry we couldn't get together while you were here. I'm a Michigan transplant, moved here 19 years ago. Wife has family fairly close. Summers here are cooler than in SE Mich. and the winters are MUCH warmer. One thing about living here, you need a GPS to go anywhere, but I think that is a good thing. Driller and I will be doing a day ride probably this Thur. Come join us.

You're tempting me to load the Morphous on my truck, turn around, and head back in your direction right now! I want to make that ride with the two of you one day, though.

Western NC IS great.  We lived in Hendersonville for two years.  However, it's a taxing state.  Consider moving to beautiful east TN., NO income tax and property taxes are cheaper AND real estate is also cheaper.  And you could ride in the Western NC mountains anytime you you want.

Very good point! I am setting up comparisons of the taxes in Maryland compared to North Carolina, but doing the same for nearby areas including Tennessee makes sense. Maryland is a high total tax state, but perhaps not as high as a few nearby states. Adding county property taxes and state income taxes, North Carolina taxes look to be quite a bit less, but knowing how much lower they could go is worth a look.

SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 383
-Receive: 195

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 12:18:21 AM »

Congrats Steve! Where ever you decide to relocate down in that area...Your a winner! Nice roads, beautiful countryside....

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »

A few months ago, on another visit to North Carolina, my wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Yellow Jacket (Vic) and his wife for dinner in Hendersonville. We had a great time for quite a while into the evening. We remember our time fondly and hope to get together again. We also continued our discussion on the pros and cons of a relocation to the area.

Though already favorably inclined towards proceeding, Mary and I had a few decisions to make, and we made them. Now moving forward to April... earlier this week, a newly rented storage unit in western NC received its first pickup truck load of household items...

2017-04-10-NC-storage, on Flickr

And so it begins. Although one pickup truck load hardly equates to a full relocation for us, this has now become more than a thought.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 96
-Receive: 145

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 04:54:21 PM »

As the sage Lao Tzu one said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one pick-up load."

__
Don
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 06:35:05 PM »

Who Hoo!! Congrats, Steve & Mary.   Isn't Vic the greatest!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 12:11:00 AM »

Steve, I'm just envious!  That's one of the most beautiful areas to live east of the Mississippi.  I just love the City of Ashville itself as cities go.  It has a wonderful art community as well as very lively night life and many choices of good food.  Some of the best riding in America is at your back door and the weather is a very moderate four seasons.  You can't go wrong.  I do bet that TN has cheaper taxes and it's just as beautiful.

Right as things are I can't contemplate leaving Chicago as life and business would have me for dinner.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 03:02:21 PM »

As the sage Lao Tzu one said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one pick-up load."

Lao Tzu must have had quite a few things figured out. Good one!

I just love the City of Ashville itself as cities go.  It has a wonderful art community as well as very lively night life and many choices of good food.  Some of the best riding in America is at your back door and the weather is a very moderate four seasons.

You nailed one of our decision points. Along with the mountains, proximity to Asheville is one of the primary attractions of western North Carolina for Mary. Though more of a small town person, I also enjoyed our trips into Asheville for the reasons you mentioned, and found the city quite pleasant.

Currently living in a high, but not highest, taxing state, the quest for lower total taxes was worth investigating, and I appreciate the recommendations. For the two of us, this area best fit our decision making process. We are also anticipating the seemingly endless outdoor opportunities and activities in the region that appeal to us, plus the more moderate seasonal changes, and (as you noted) some of the best riding in America.

Many thanks to all for sharing our enthusiasm!
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Bikes Owned: 106, 10 scooters, BV250 & '90 Elite 250, sold Kymco GTi 300 currently

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »

Steve and Mary, welcome to WNC. There has to be something wrong with anyone who doesn't like this area. Come to think of it, I've yet to meet anyone who didn't like it here. I relocated here 20 years ago from the flatlands of SE Mich. and never regretted it. Perfect place for scooter riding.
scootermann
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex, Yamaha Majesty YP400, Vespa GTV 300ie

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 22

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 08:16:40 PM »

My son and I will be traveling from Chattanooga up towards Virginia (via back roads) in about 3 weeks. No route solidified, but will be near Asheville at some point. A beautiful part of the world... Last time I was through Hendersonville (a couple of years ago), I met up with Driller and he showed me this great little hot dog restaurant about a half block from the motorcycle/scooter shop downtown.
sevenwheels
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 23
-Receive: 9

Email
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 09:49:49 PM »

My son and I will be traveling from Chattanooga up towards Virginia (via back roads) in about 3 weeks. No route solidified, but will be near Asheville at some point. A beautiful part of the world... Last time I was through Hendersonville (a couple of years ago), I met up with Driller and he showed me this great little hot dog restaurant about a half block from the motorcycle/scooter shop downtown.
Don't just leave us hanging...address please

2003 C240 Wagon,2006 Morphous,2011 Spyder RTS
2017 F150

IBA 56167
Yellow Jacket
Scooter Grad Student

Thank You

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 04:59:14 AM »

I wasn't there but that has to be Hot Dog World on Kanuga Rd. I'm not much on hot dogs but they have a great taco salad. Try to avoid lunch time, hardly able to get in the door some days. 
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 01:15:39 AM »

Another vehicle joined the fleet a couple weeks ago. A three wheeler, when parked, but a two wheeler when connected to a pick up truck...

2017-10-15-Featherlite-12-foot on Flickr

Mary actually spotted this trailer for sale at the 2017 Color Fest celebration in Thurmont, Maryland. The now former owner and I struck a deal and, less than a week after taking possession, the Featherlite made its first trip to North Carolina with multiple kayaks, several furniture pieces, a steel shelving system and tabletop tools from the 'man cave' and many other items. The pick up truck bed hauled a bit of a load as well.

This journey was the first 'drop and run' (well, almost) trip to North Carolina. South on one day, unload at the storage unit, north the next day, about nine hours each way. This whole relocation plan keeps getting closer.

Although we're actually south bound, each trip starts with a Jerry Reed and Dick Feller song in mind. "East Bound and Down" - We've got a long way to go, and a short time to get there. Still surprised at how much we're donating/selling (no regrets, though) rather than transporting, but the calendar keeps moving and there's so much yet to do...
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 96
-Receive: 145

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 06:26:47 AM »

The calendar waits for no man.
Keep safe on those 9hr runs.
gurock1
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2004 Silverwing 2009 Burgman 650 gone but not forgotten, 2007 Piaggio BV250 (Sold) 2006 FJR gone to bike heaven, 2006 FJR sold, 2008 FJR in heaven with the first 06 FJR, 2006 Burgman 650 Executive, BMW C 650 GT

Thank You
-Given: 16

Email
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 03:24:07 AM »

One side benefit of having gotten divorced in 2003 was that my ex-wife took almost all the possessions.  So when I moved away and started again I had no clutter in the way.  Now it's fourteen years later and I have plenty of clutter again.  Sometimes I think that if the house burned down god would have done me a favor getting rid of clutter I don't need.

Steve best of luck with the move!!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »

Steve and Mary, good luck with the move.  For the last few years Pete & I have been downsizing tremendously.  It's hard but has opened a lot of things by not being attached to things anymore. 

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 08:54:23 PM »

One of our favorite locations in western North Carolina is Sliding Rock. We visited in August, and had a great time...

Sliding-Rock-2017-08 on Flickr

Early January included another very brief visit to the area, dropping off more items to rental storage.
What could be more fun than revisiting August's adventure, and going for another slide on Sliding Rock...

Sliding-Rock-2017-01 on Flickr

We decided the experience wouldn't be quite the same, and we'll come back another time. July sounds good.
My retirement notice is now official. The relocation plan continues. And June 30 approaches.
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 30
-Receive: 87

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 01:44:32 AM »

One of our favorite locations in western North Carolina is Sliding Rock. We visited in August, and had a great time...

Sliding-Rock-2017-08 on Flickr

Early January included another very brief visit to the area, dropping off more items to rental storage.
What could be more fun than revisiting August's adventure, and going for another slide on Sliding Rock...

Sliding-Rock-2017-01 on Flickr

We decided the experience wouldn't be quite the same, and we'll come back another time. July sounds good.
My retirement notice is now official. The relocation plan continues. And June 30 approaches.

redeye,  I have been to Sliding Rock a couple of times.  Back in the 90’s.  My extended family and my daughters and myself were on the way to Myrtle Beach for a week.  We spent some time at Sliding Rock.  The kids had a ball so did my oldest Brother.  I took my 4 yr old daughter down the Sliding Rock in my lap.  We hit that pool of ice cold water and both went under.  I just lifted her up above the water so fast my feet looking for the bottom. That was it for me and my 4 yr old.  We watched the rest of the family have fun.  I did screw up my shoulder when I lifted her so fast. Bothered me the rest of the trip.  But the other kids and my brother had a blast.  Very pretty area. I have been back a couple of times.

Nice pics by the way.  Thanks for sharing.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 01:56:12 AM »

redeye,  I have been to Sliding Rock a couple of times.  Back in the 90ís.  My extended family and my daughters and myself were on the way to Myrtle Beach for a week.  We spent some time at Sliding Rock.  The kids had a ball so did my oldest Brother.  I took my 4 yr old daughter down the Sliding Rock in my lap.  We hit that pool of ice cold water and both went under.  I just lifted her up above the water so fast my feet looking for the bottom. That was it for me and my 4 yr old.  We watched the rest of the family have fun.  I did screw up my shoulder when I lifted her so fast. Bothered me the rest of the trip.  But the other kids and my brother had a blast.  Very pretty area. I have been back a couple of times.

Nice pics by the way.  Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. For so many reasons, this is a spectacular part of the country. Sorry that your visit to Sliding Rock was marred by injury, but I know exactly the feeling you described going from the slide into the pool. All of that water suddenly immersing the head and torso has quite a dramatic effect.

Not far from Sliding Rock is another popular attraction known as Looking Glass Falls. Over the 2017 Memorial Day weekend, I took several pictures including one showing the entire waterfall area...

2017-05-29 Looking Glass Falls on Flickr

...and added a video capture of daughter Livy approaching the waterfall from behind...

2017-05-29 Looking Glass Falls2 on Flickr

*** FLASHBACK ***
Some may recall the adventurous young lady in the previous picture as the one who attended the 2012 Maxi-Scoots rally in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. On Saturday after our riding, Livy helped Maggie select and distribute prizes at Steel Steeds...

2012-09-08 Steel Steeds prizes on Flickr
*** END FLASHBACK ***

However, wading near or behind the waterfall just wasn't meant to be last Saturday...

2018-01-06 Looking Glass Falls on Flickr

...but another day will come when we're right next to the waterfall. Regardless of the season, I truly enjoy western North Carolina and all it offers.

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 04:02:43 AM »

Something just doesn't seem quite right here...

In northern Maryland, the first day of "Spring" has brought a nor'easter with several inches of snow and perhaps over a foot before the storm finally moves on out of here.

Meanwhile, the FZ-09, ATV (the right rear fender is barely visible just above the FZ-09's cargo rack), off-road motorcycles, kayaks, and miscellaneous other items are 'enjoying' much better weather in rental storage much farther south.

2018-03-16-NC-storage on Flickr

Seriously, though, the FZ-09 and ATV arrived in North Carolina late last week on my truck and trailer. Although time was extremely limited in NC with a quick turn-around time, I was finally able to ride some of these excellent roads in mid to high 60s F temperatures for about 30 minutes each on Thursday and Friday of last week. But the time soon arrived for the long return drive north.

We have moved out of our house, giving painters and flooring contractors unrestricted access to complete their work. The realtor contract is signed as we temporarily rent a place several miles away. We still have a few items to remove from the garage in Maryland, but the living areas of the house are now all but empty.

Although the snowstorm is quite an unusual event for the first day of Spring around here, the overall southern relocation plan seems to be moving along fairly well. And I'm looking forward to riding the Morphous here in Maryland once Spring starts acting like Spring. It's all good!  :D
Clampett
Uncle Jed
Administrator
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 29 - Mini bikes to Gold Wings.

Thank You
-Given: 85
-Receive: 67

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 04:26:02 AM »

@redeye ,
Sorry to hear of riding frustration. Did someone up there tick off the groundhog this year?
Here's to wishing a good ear to ear scooter smile arrives soon.

minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 46

Email
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 02:57:39 PM »

I don't mean to be mean, but the first day of spring brought us bright sunshine, no wind, and 37*, which made for a great day of riding. I put about 150 miles on the Majesty, just riding around.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 05:13:01 PM »

Very nice!   Gorgeous!

redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »

The relocation process is moving along somewhat more quickly. Having already moved out, painting, carpeting, and other work was complete early last week on our Maryland house. The house went 'live' (as opposed to 'coming soon') on the market last Thursday and then went 'under contract' over the weekend. We're very hopeful all goes smoothly, and closing is scheduled for May 31. Even in a good sellers' market, that was unexpectedly fast.

Also, we entered into a one-year lease on a house in western North Carolina two weeks ago and have moved a few items in. Although the NC house is quite small, it is also appropriate for the near future. Right now, we tend to compare the monthly rent against what we would have spent, or planned to spend, on western NC motels between now and July, and particularly the holiday weekends. That's a more pleasant thought than paying for two houses at the same time, which is nevertheless true.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement over the last couple years. There are still a few streams to cross, but the NC adventure continues.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »

Great news!!  Have fun with new adventure!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: