June 26, 2019, 03:38:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad accident. Really bad  (Read 4830 times)
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 333
-Receive: 813

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2016, 01:20:59 PM »

That's great news, Darryl.   Thanks for the update.  So glad to hear things are progressing well.  I'm sure being back hom is a huge relief and blessing. 

Side note, I can't even get up off the floor easily so major props to you ;-)

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
CathyN
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 31
-Receive: 102

Maxi-Scoot Rally 2017

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2016, 01:40:13 AM »

That is great to hear Darryl.  So happy for you. 

I like Maggie, have a hard time getting up off the floor.  So  to you Darryl.

It's just not a vacation it's a fricking adventure.
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2013 Yamaha Majesty

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 18

Email
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2016, 05:04:37 AM »

Completed one FULL workweek. Some challenges. But I was able to perform each task assigned to me. For that I'm very grateful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 17
-Receive: 126

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »

Great to hear you are back at work, probably will take a little time to get your work muscles going again.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »

Yes!! 

* 1dbf278f081f91ed4d44108a21bd0135.jpg (12.28 KB, 305x247 - viewed 266 times.)
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 250

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 06:20:44 PM »

Darryl, thanks for the update.  Good to know that you are recovering so well and are back to work.  On the lighter side, I was reading some of the older posts on this thread, and there was brief talk about throwing your leg over the bike.  God to thinking about that, and figured you'd probably not want to throw it too far away.  Could be hard to retrieve it once you were on the seat!!!  

Greg
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 134
-Receive: 163

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 06:22:57 PM »

Darryl, thanks for the update.  Good to know that you are recovering so well and are back to work.  On the lighter side, I was reading some of the older posts on this thread, and there was brief talk about throwing your leg over the bike.  God to thinking about that, and figured you'd probably not want to throw it too far away.  Could be hard to retrieve it once you were on the seat!!!   

And I'm still waiting for the video.

__
Don
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 06:24:46 PM »

Darryl, thanks for the update.  Good to know that you are recovering so well and are back to work.  On the lighter side, I was reading some of the older posts on this thread, and there was brief talk about throwing your leg over the bike.  God to thinking about that, and figured you'd probably not want to throw it too far away.  Could be hard to retrieve it once you were on the seat!!!  
😂😂😂😂😂

waterinthefuel
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 8

Email
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2016, 07:15:44 AM »

As a fellow Majesty owner (I just can't part with my wrecked bike, I still have it, insured and everything. I'm an idiot, I know) I know exactly what happened. You probably looked at the scenery. I do it all the time. And have found myself in the oncoming lane.

I'm sorry this happened. You're one tough dude. You described your wounds on the kymco scooter forum like you were discussing damage to a car. Ouch. I was bitching and complaining because I suffered a sprained knee and neck but went to work that afternoon. You were out for months.

You're awesome man.
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17:28 PM »

Well, it's been a long time since I've been on here. But to give an update, things are going well. It's been nearly 4 months since I've been back at work. Things are going well. Still facing a few challenges. But God is helping me to overcome them as they appear. I'm on my 2nd prosthetic socket ( the part that attaches to the remaining portion of my leg) because the first one no longer fit. My prosthetist says that my residual limb is changing MUCH MORE QUICKLY than usual due to my high activity level. (A good thing). For a while my current socket was rubbing the back of my knee and causing much discomfort. But after weekly or twice weekly visits to my prosthetist, that problem finally seems to be corrected.  THANK GOD!

Finally, while I still can't run or even jog, my walking speed is much better. When I first received my prosthetic, it took me about 30 minutes to walk approximately 1 mile around a local park. Last week I completed the same walk in 20 minutes!
Again, thanks for your prayers, well wishes, and encouragement in the past. If I cross your mind from time to time, please continue to do as you've done in the past. I appreciate it.

God bless you all

I'm still getting by with a  basic foot, so I can't jog yet, and walking on level ground is very awkward. The insurance won't pay for a more advanced foot until around JUNE!

darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17:59 PM »

P.S. Stay SAFE everyone.

The Scootist
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Receive: 31

Ride to Mount Evans - Elevation 14,000+ ft amsl

Email
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »

Darryl
Glad to hear of you are making good progress at healing.  That was a tremendous hurdle to overcome and it sounds like you are managing very well.  Hang in there.

Red 2009 Silverwing.  Tall Givi Wind screen, Givi topcase, Leo Vince 4-Road exhaust, Superbrite head lamp, PIAA Driving lights, mirror extenders, power commander with custom high altitude map, K&N air filter/drilled air box, HyperPro springs, 22g Dr Pulley Sliders, Bi-valent Flux capacitor.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Receive: 45

Just a Swangin

Email
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »

Darryl,

I was wondering about you the other day.  Thanks for the update.  Walk on!

Continued prayers.

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2017, 05:02:18 AM »

Darryl,

I was wondering about you the other day.  Thanks for the update.  Walk on!

Continued prayers.

Sirkitrider
Thank you for the encouragement.

darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2017, 05:05:14 AM »

Darryl
Glad to hear of you are making good progress at healing.  That was a tremendous hurdle to overcome and it sounds like you are managing very well.  Hang in there.
Thanks for the continued well wishes.

Just wish that my family wouldn't nearly go into shock at the mere thought of me getting another scooter. Lol

darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2017, 05:14:17 AM »

Good news: Family loves me immensely and has become VERY protective of their baby brother and his safety .

Bad news: Family loves me immensely and has become VERY protective of their baby brother and his safety. 😂

Having a living 85 year old mother, 3 older brothers, and 3 older sisters helped to make my journey much easier than it would have been otherwise.
But when I even hint that I MAY EVENTUALLY, in the DISTANT future ride anything on two wheels other than a bicycle, I see them nearly stop breathing. So I'll let it go for now.

Oh well... Having overprotective family surely beats having family who doesn't care. So, I'll count my blessings.

captainfish
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 69
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2017, 07:34:28 AM »

Just caught this conversation thread... and am impressed with your recovery.  Mind if I ask how much of your leg was amputated?

The fact that you are back to work at a highly manual labor job, getting up and down alot, moving heavy pieces of equipment, is miraculous in my mind.  Think of how things might have turned out over 50 years ago...... technology is amazing.

This is a story for me, as I too tend to get glassy eyed when viewing landscapes and sight-seeing.  I've had many close calls in my 4-wheeled cages.  So I try to keep myself more on focus when on my Burgman650.  I've forwarded your story on to my son who rides a Honda Reflex and rides it like a 16-year old boy with a new hot rod and normally with little safety gear.

And yes, it is much better that your family is over-protective out of love, than not caring at all.  Family is everything.
God bless....
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »

But when I even hint that I MAY EVENTUALLY, in the DISTANT future ride anything on two wheels other than a bicycle, I see them nearly stop breathing. So I'll let it go for now.

It's called "leverage".

darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »

It's called "leverage".
😂😂😂

darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »

Just caught this conversation thread... and am impressed with your recovery.  Mind if I ask how much of your leg was amputated?

The fact that you are back to work at a highly manual labor job, getting up and down alot, moving heavy pieces of equipment, is miraculous in my mind.  Think of how things might have turned out over 50 years ago...... technology is amazing.

This is a story for me, as I too tend to get glassy eyed when viewing landscapes and sight-seeing.  I've had many close calls in my 4-wheeled cages.  So I try to keep myself more on focus when on my Burgman650.  I've forwarded your story on to my son who rides a Honda Reflex and rides it like a 16-year old boy with a new hot rod and normally with little safety gear.

And yes, it is much better that your family is over-protective out of love, than not caring at all.  Family is everything.
God bless....
Thankfully it was a few inches below the knee, about halfway between the knee and the foot. So by having my own knee that makes it much easier to get adjusted. Let your son know that if I'd not had my helmet and riding jacket on, I may not have lived to tell my story. My helmet was scraped by the dirt, gravel and asphalt. It also hit against something hard enough to cause the chinstrap to pull against my chin hard enough to require three stitches. My upper body received no damage at all. It was confined to where my left leg had a direct impact with the street sign post at perhaps 40-50 mph.

As greatly as I have been blessed with a swift recovery, I'd much rather have my ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT leg and foot. I never realized the complexity with which God created the lower leg, ankle, and foot. Also, I believe that facing this situation at age 52 is much easier to deal with than it would have been if I were in my teens or even as a 30 something.

Let you son know that although it's ok to have fun, a minor slip up is much more serious without the protection of the automobile cage. And the helmet and riding jacket can make the difference between telling his own story vs having his story being told by a survivor.
I can walk, talk, laugh, cry, preach, think, and do many things without my leg. But I could do none of those things without my BRAIN.

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2017, 01:15:08 AM »

Amen to wearing the gear, not a magic wand but it sure lessens the injuries. Glad you are doing well.
captainfish
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 69
-Receive: 1

Email
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2017, 05:03:01 AM »

Thank you Darrell.  I hope he reads this and it touches him like it has us.  And I agree about the blessing that the amputation was below the knee.  And most definitely, GOD's creation is a mystery and a mastery of the intricate.  The simple act of walking is only now being able to be mimicked by bipedal robots.  the amount of balance, strength and dexterity of the ankle alone astounds me.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »

So glad to read you are progressing so well.  You are one of the most inspirational people I've ever met!

Continue to heal!

If you ride again, you ride again.  You got this thing call life covered with or without riding.
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2017, 07:21:37 AM »

Hey everyone. I hit a bittersweet milestone. On July 3 was the one year anniversary of my accident. It's been a whirlwind of a year. But thankfully I made it. From sitting beside the road scared nearly out of my mind with a bone sticking out of my twisted leg, to a below knee Amputation, to hopping around on one leg, to learning to walk with a prosthesis, to returning to work, to finally getting fitted for a much better leg and foot. Through it all, I made it. By God's grace, I made it!!

Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2017, 07:59:02 AM »

Good news!!
sailingskier
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '05 Honda Silver Wing, ABS

Thank You
-Given: 114
-Receive: 67

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »

Darryl,

By God's grace, many praryers for you, and with your own positive attitude  - you made it.  A rough year you had; and the way you handled it was inspirational, as Maggie pointed out.

Mike
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »

Congratulations on your hard work and determination!
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »

That's awesome, Darryl.  Your strength and convictions are beyond amazing! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 62
-Receive: 250

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2017, 06:37:15 PM »

I just weighed in on the conversation again this morning, Darryl.  You have been blessed to have recovered the way you have.  God is good--all the time.  I read, with a bit of a chuckle, of your getting used to the prosthesis, but would much rather be using the  OEM lower leg.  I guess this is one case where the aftermarket just isn't better than the original part.  But it surely beats not having one at all.  God has blessed you with a great recovery, in all aspects.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2012 Silverwing, Burgman 650, Burgman 400x2, Vulcan 750x4, Goldwing 1200'sx2, Honda Nighthawkx2, Honda Helix

Thank You
-Receive: 45

Just a Swangin

Email
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2017, 05:04:17 AM »

God is good--all the time.

All the time --God is good! 

Darryl,   Kudo's, high fives, fist bump, pat on the back and all that.  You are the man!  It is amazing, with God's help, what we can adapt to and overcome.  It's both encouraging and refreshing to see someone be a victor and not a victim.  Proverbs 15:13; 15; 22

Sirkitrider
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: