July 26, 2017, 10:34:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One more reason to wear your gear in the summer  (Read 1283 times)
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 8
-Receive: 74

« on: June 30, 2016, 12:22:04 AM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/video-i94-motorbike-unsecured-load-accident_us_57723665e4b0f168323acdcd?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592&yptr=yahoo
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 43
-Receive: 58

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 03:15:39 AM »

Ouch!

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: '12 Piaggio X10 350 Exec. & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 59
-Receive: 92

Evening Light

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:24:46 AM »

Ouch!

That's an understatement!

There are old scooter riders and there are bold scooter riders but there are no old bold scooter riders.
Greg
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 38
-Receive: 210

Don't sweat the small stuff...it's all small stuff

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:41:39 AM »

Yikes! Is right.  Yup--ATGATT is the word of the day.

Greg
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 14 Sypder ST-S

Thank You
-Given: 274
-Receive: 621

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »

Glad he was ok... and was geared up.

Not to be critical but the original video I saw showed he had several escape routes.  I wonder why he never took one.   Probably target fixation.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:03:12 PM »

Think he guessed the bounce wrong, I try to stay way back when I see funky loads in trailers and trucks.
The Scootist
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Honda Silverwing

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 31

Ride to Mount Evans - Elevation 14,000+ ft amsl

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »

That is a very good reason not to follow too close.  The other day we were driving on I-25 and a pickup trunk with an improperly secured load was dropping parts to a gas stove all over the road.  Anyone following too close would have had a high probability of injury.  We pulled up next to the truck and the driver just ignored my wife's attempts to notify her of the problem.  Must have been stoned or something...

Red 2009 Silverwing.  Tall Givi Wind screen, Givi topcase, Leo Vince 4-Road exhaust, Superbrite head lamp, PIAA Driving lights, mirror extenders, power commander with custom high altitude map, K&N air filter/drilled air box, HyperPro springs, 22g Dr Pulley Sliders, Bi-valent Flux capacitor.
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 11:25:51 PM »

Well this month I have had a flying mattress and an aluminum ladder come off pickup trucks in front of my car and a 5 gallon empty bucket bouncing out of a pickup in front of the scooter. Idiots are everywhere so be careful.
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: Kymco Yager GT 200i, Kymco Downtown 300i

Thank You
-Given: 14
-Receive: 16

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 04:05:27 PM »

This video was also part of a discussion thread on Beginnerbikers.org, and the Kymcoforum. I agree with Maggie, I think the rider accelerated, then fixated on the mattress as it rolled off. There’s little sign of braking, or an attempt to swerve out of the way.

- Wolf
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 04:07:53 PM »

From what I understand the boat driver turned himself in.

- Wolf
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2013 Yamaha Majesty

Thank You
-Receive: 17

Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 05:44:08 AM »

Add me to the group of those who believe in wearing protective gear even in the summer heat. I described my recent accident on another post. On the day of my accident it was 95 deg. At the actual time of my accident, it was muggy and in the 80's. Yes, I suffered great damage to my left leg. But was otherwise fine. I had my helmet and a mesh jacket on. There was a SMALL gash on my chin from the helmet strap. And there were some superficial scratches on my belly (I couldn't even feel those. I noticed them when I looked. But If my helmet hit something with enough force to cause the chin strap to give me a small gash, I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if my unprotected HEAD would have hit the same thing. Losing a leg is one thing. But brain damage or death is another. Thank God I'm hear to tell the story. Why? Because I wore my helmet in HOT, MUGGY weather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 05:45:32 AM »

At this point, I don't know if I'll ever ride again. But IF I do, you can be CERTAIN that I'll wear my protective gear summer or winter.

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 01:14:03 PM »

Well I had some thoughts of not wearing all my gear Saturday with the suffering heat here. Glad you posted to remind me why it is so important.
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 01:50:21 PM »

Well I had some thoughts of not wearing all my gear Saturday with the suffering heat here. Glad you posted to remind me why it is so important.
When I arrived in Panama City, I noticed that it seemed as if 3/4 of the riders had no helmet and wore short sleeves. I was tempted to to the same. Also, on my job my co workers would tease me for wearing a full faced (modular) helmet and riding jacket for "just a scooter " . But I reminded them that my scooter traveled at highway speeds. And if I took a fall, my body would not know whether I had fallen off of a scooter or a Harley. When I spoke with them after the accident, they said that they were glad that I had NOT listened to them.

scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 02:16:05 PM »

I'd just like to let the forum know that Forbes is my hero. He's being humble, but his full story, and what he's gone through with hope and courage, can be learned on the Kymcoforum site.

- Wolf
Liamjs
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 07 Burgman 400 & 05 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Receive: 22

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 04:09:50 PM »

This video was also part of a discussion thread on Beginnerbikers.org, and the Kymcoforum. I agree with Maggie, I think the rider accelerated, then fixated on the mattress as it rolled off. There’s little sign of braking, or an attempt to swerve out of the way.

- Wolf

Agreed, the guy should have hard braked and then try for an escape route once the object's path was determined. Instead he looked to power pass by it and chosed the wrong path.
scooterwolf
Scooter Junior Professor

Thank You

Easy and Me

Email
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »

Looking at the video it's hard to also tell if he had kept the proper following distance. From the camera's vantage point both the Boat/SUV and the rider sped past them, so they were going faster relative to the camera. But were they going around the same speed (bike and Boat/SUV) relative to each other? Was the bike in the process of accelerating to pass the boat truck, was it too close behind, or at the proper distance, yet was still unable to maneuver out of the way?

It almost looks like the bike was accelerating towards the Boat/SUV when the object fell off. It's amazing what the human body can survive, but also the importance of wearing riding gear, especially if on a highway.

- Wolf
crossbolt
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Receive: 5

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 03:30:10 PM »

Counting the seconds between the aft end of the boat passing a road defect and the m/c passing the same defect is ONE SECOND! The rider was way too close to the boat. That thing that fell off the boat looked loose to start with therefore the rider was not getting the "big picture" and asking, "What if...." properly.

Karl
darrylforbes
Scooter Freshman

Thank You

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »

I responded to this post a year ago right after my life altering accident. I'm still here this summer and doing well. So one year later I  say that the best reason to wear your gear in the summer is so you can be here next summer.

jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2017, 01:50:13 PM »

Amen.
sirkitrider-2
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Helix, Nighthawk 750, Vulcan 750, 1983 GL1100, 1984 GL1200 trike, 2006 Burgman 400, 2007 Burgman 650, 2007 Burgman 400

Thank You
-Given: 5
-Receive: 19

Email
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 04:26:46 PM »

Amen.

+uno!

Sirkitrider

John 3:16
Steve_YYZ
Scooter Junior Professor

Bikes Owned: 2014 Suzuki Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 32
-Receive: 19

Email
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 03:47:03 AM »

Yikes! Is right.  Yup--ATGATT is the word of the day.
Several comments.....
1) He wasn't ATGATT.... watch the video especially when he first comes into frame on the left. He's wearing a riding jacket and FF helmet, but also wearing beach shorts and sneakers. Completely bare legs.
2) From when the roll first hit the road, it's 3.5 to 4 seconds before he impacts the roll. Almost 2 seconds before he even hits the brakes. As noted above, target fixation and he did have time (if he had the skill) so swerve right and go around the roll.
Very lucky guy....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: