November 19, 2017, 05:54:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Anti-freeze in 06 Morphous  (Read 3327 times)
polishviking
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 61 BMW 600, 73 Norton Commando, 350 Kawasaki, Honda 80 Elite, Honda Helix (2), Honda 750 NightHawk, 06 Morphous

Thank You
-Given: 0
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:04:24 PM »

Can anyone tell me how to go about draining and replacing the ant-freeze in my 06 Morphous ?
Does it have a petcock or drain plug somewhere to drain it out and how does one go about refilling it without
a bad result.
Appreciate it
sevenwheels
Scooter Freshman

Thank You
-Given: 20
-Receive: 7

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 11:21:58 PM »

Check your mail for a giant download.
David

2006 Yamaha Morphous ,2004 Avalanche Z66, 2003 C240 Wagon,
2011 Spyder RTS
IBA 56167
Attaboy
Scooter Senior

Bikes Owned: Presently 2013 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Receive: 12

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 12:35:16 AM »

Can anyone tell me how to go about draining and replacing the ant-freeze in my 06 Morphous ?
Does it have a petcock or drain plug somewhere to drain it out and how does one go about refilling it without
a bad result.
Appreciate it

All that good stuff is discussed is in your owners manual so you may brush up on it when you need to do your bike maintenance !
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 44
-Receive: 66

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 03:43:05 AM »

All that good stuff is discussed is in your owners manual so you may brush up on it when you need to do your bike maintenance !

All well and good IF the manual is still with the bike when you buy it.  I didn't get a manual with my Majesty or Burgman.

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400
Morphous 250
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 104
-Receive: 162

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 03:37:39 AM »

a bad result.
Appreciate it

Thread is a couple months old, but since I just finished my first coolant replacement, here are a few pictures...

The coolant drain plug faces the right side of the Morphous, just behind the center stand...

Unexpectedly, the coolant came out quite forcefully, and horizontally at first. Completely missed the drain pan at first and got some on me. Fortunately, it wasn't too hot; lesson learned just the same.  :D

The bleed screw... limited experience has taught me to watch it carefully. When the new coolant starts flowing, the screw is opened a little too far, and someone isn't paying close attention, a decent supply of paper towels will quickly become necessary to clean up the mess. Another lesson learned! While "in the neighborhood" and knowing the task was overdue, I also changed the spark plug, setting the new plug's gap according to the service manual.

My Morphous coolant change followed the service manual directions, so off came the front cowl...

In addition to removing and thoroughly cleaning the coolant overflow container, removing the front cowl showed me the process is far less daunting than it seemed at first. Removing the front cowl also provides an opportunity to inspect various parts and clean out stuff that somehow gets in there from the road.

Still, I wonder if by using a siphon of some kind for the coolant reservoir, changing the coolant might have been accomplished without removing the front cowl as the service manual directs. Perhaps this would result in a less thorough process, and I'll probably replace coolant the same way next time, but I was more interested in reassembling my Morphous and a heading out for a ride this evening.

2008 Yamaha Morphous, 2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2004 Honda CRF150F x3, 2005 Honda CRF100F
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 01:50:16 PM »

When venting through the bleeder, I wait until I get a steady stream running out to make sure most of the air is out of the system. I haven't done my Morphous yet but the setup is the same on the Majesty. You should be able to reach the bleeder through the removal panel under the seat (to access the sparkplug) on the Majesty. Is the Morph the same? Thanks for the visual aids, though.
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:21:26 PM »

When venting through the bleeder, I wait until I get a steady stream running out to make sure most of the air is out of the system. I haven't done my Morphous yet but the setup is the same on the Majesty. You should be able to reach the bleeder through the removal panel under the seat (to access the sparkplug) on the Majesty. Is the Morph the same? Thanks for the visual aids, though.

Yes, removing the forward-most underseat storage compartment reveals the bleed screw and the spark plug as shown in the second photo. Based on your description, this sounds similar if not the same on the Majesty and Morphous.

Problem was I was looking from the front for the coolant stream, while it was running out the back and down to the lift deck, just out of my line of sight. Turned out to be a slightly messy but otherwise harmless oversight.

Learning more about servicing motorcycles and scooters was a good call. The quotes I received to change coolant, brake fluid, drive belt, and a few other items were expensive, encouraging me to use the service manual even more than previously and attempt the work myself. I appreciate the tips and feedback.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 06:45:24 PM »

I've found that between the service manual and online help from the various message and user boards, I've been able to fix every issue I've had, and saved a lot doing so. As long as you have very minor mechanical ability, some decent tools(or friends that do), reading comprehension, and the willingness to try it, you can just about fix most things on our bikes and scooters. There are some things I won't attempt, but they are becoming few and far between.
Markas
"took the red pill"
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 Yamaha Morphous

Thank You
-Given: 2

atheist anarchist psychonaut pharmahuascero

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 02:10:20 AM »

New Morph owner here.  Just a couple fyis.

I have been able to remove coolant overflow bottle by reaching up from under cowl and removing two screws then just popping off hose and bottle out of "clip".

I added a pair of 80w each(draw 45w ea) rated LED running lights, but the added 8 amp draw caused low idle stalling and inadequate spark overall.  Obviously,  need to keep additional accessories under 5 amp total or upgrade stator/regulator if possible.  Anyone else experience similar issues with accessories on a Morphous?

Markas
fuck trump
Skootfreeordie77
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: 2007 morphous , 2008 stella ,2005 Ural

Thank You

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 05:59:33 AM »

Hello fellow morphous owners.  I just bought my 2007  manufacture date on sticker says 06/2006 so I am taking that to mean it's a 2007?   Is that correct?
It had 6850 miles on it. 
My bike before this was a 2008 stella shifty 2 stroke
So very different dynamics   
Upon cruising around on the morphous I find at low speeds under say 20 mph I feel a wobble
It will shake the steering bars a bit if I let go
So I am wondering what that's about. I feel
It most in the rear wheel area not necessarily the front wheel
And here is another symptom if you can help me guess what this is : 
Let's say I increase throttle to over 40 mph and then I just release my right hand like I am coming to a stop
The bike will make a whining belt sound from the rear of the bike
Only happens when I let off gas fast if I am over 40+ mph.   Under that I don't get
The squealing sound.   Any ideas???? Thank you.  If anyone rides in Phoenix Arizona. Message me for rides!!!!
redeye
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 12:01:52 AM »

Welcome to the forum! Based on your posting info, looks like you have owned at least three motorcycles including the Morphous. Not sure how much maintenance you perform by yourself, though. Sorry if you have already been through this.

By US standards, a June date of manufacture seems early for the following model year, but perhaps not for imported motorcycles. Seems like a few 2018 model motorcycles were out there during the summer of 2017.

The Morphous is long and low; doesn't take much to inadvertently start a wobble. A couple items to check on the sub 20 mph wobble:
1)  Check the tires to ensure they are correctly inflated.
2)  Does the tire tread suggest an even wear pattern, or is it irregular? A close-up photo posted on the site would be helpful.
3)  Lean forward in the seat while under 20 mph and then lean back while under 20 MPH if you are comfortable doing so. Does having your weight shifted forward or backward make any difference in the wobble?

6,850 miles isn't a lot of mileage for the drive belt but, if the belt is the original part, 11+ years is a lot of time. Consider replacing the belt. Same for the tires. I have a few more thoughts, but will start here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: