June 18, 2019, 09:34:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help Deciding Which Scooter  (Read 1289 times)
SteveADV
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Triumph Tiger Explorer, Kymco People GT300i

Thank You
-Given: 1
-Receive: 0

Email
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:12:53 AM »

My oldest daughter is currently thinking about trading in her Vulcan 500 for something smaller. Carrie is a newer rider with less than 2 years and fewer than 10k miles. I suggested she think about a scooter.  So, I started doing some research and have figured out that maybe old Dad needs to get one, too.

She will not do much highway riding (whereas I am an Iron Butt member with my Triumph Tiger Explorer and would be on the highway once in awhile) but she may do an overnight sight seeing thing once in awhile. Most of her riding will be around town. As for me, I have only one concern if I were to get a scooter....the Tiger will gather cobwebs with the exception of the occasional long distance trip.

Carrie wants something smaller than the Vulcan and I also would like something a little easier to push around the garage (although current bikes will stay). I think I have it narrowed down to the following: Kymco People GTi300, SYM Citycom 300, BV 250 or 350, but am certainly opened to suggestions. For what it's worth, I am not a mechanical guy and would rely on dealer services for nearly everything.

What do you think?
Skutorr
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 2009 Tmax 500, 2009 Majesty 400, 2007 Aprilia Mojito 150

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 37

2009 Tmax500 with OODLES of UPGRADES!

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 01:32:19 AM »

CityCom 300 is a great scoot, good value and very good looking with HUGE storage. It holds a TENNIS Racket under the seat!

2009 Tmax500 - Faster Yellow!
(Dr. Pulleys, HH sintered pads, Pilot Road 4 tires, GIVI AirFlo, shorty brake levers, Euro winkers, shortened OEM mirrors, custom tail tidy, MIVV exhaust, River Road luggage system, backrest extensions, adjustable LEXAN storage divider, LED storage light, power outlet)
DuggleBogey
Scooter Senior

Thank You
-Receive: 6

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 01:58:37 AM »

If you are looking for good deals, I've noticed that used Honda Forzas are showing up now. They should be pretty low mileage as it's a pretty recent model but a really fun scoot in the size you are looking for.

Q: How many scooters does one guy need? A: Just one more.

Horsefly        - Honda Silver Wing 600
Pi                - Piaggio MP3 250ie
Yellowjacket  - Big Ruckus
Dragonfly      - Tao Tao 50
Liamjs
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: 07 Burgman 400 & 05 Burgman 650

Thank You
-Given: 2
-Receive: 23

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:27:37 AM »

Burgman 400 is my favorite bike ever! Mine is nearly 10 YO with 52k on the clock and still running strong.

Small enough for her, big enough for you.  Great city bike and does highway very competently. I call it the "Swiss Army Bike" cause it does everything. Plus there's a lot of used ones at good prices. And it's Suzuki; lots of service centers and parts availability throughout the country.

Good luck on your search.
Expat47
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Kymco AK550 & '12 Piaggio X10 (sold). & '08 SYM GTS (sold)

Thank You
-Given: 133
-Receive: 162

Kymco AK550

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »

I moved from a Kawasaki Classic to a SYM GTS250i just to 'test the waters' about moving into scooters. I found the SYM to be extremely reliable and mechanically a breeze to maintain. 15min oil change, & lube job etc. I'd've still been riding a SYM had they had the 400 ABS model available when I was ready to move up. The 300i City is a real popular machine over here where scoots are a major mode of transportation so, I'd say it would fit on Missy's short list handily.

I'm now riding the Piaggio X10 which has the 330cc 32.8HP power plant & find it to (finally) be reliable. The Beverly 350 ABS/ASR is about the same thing with just a different dress on. If you go for this model keep it current! The 2012 & 13 years had some bugs but, as far as I can tell, they've got them smoothed out. My 330cc will do 75MpH all day and all night on the highway so that shouldn't be a problem. The ABS and ASR are a boon, IMO, and make riding just a bit safer when the pucker factor gets critical (which it often does over here in traffic). The major concern about the Piaggio is parts supply. Even over here, where I'm next door to Italy, I was waiting for parts a couple of times.

There's a site that helps you with human to machine fitment that you may find helpful. http://cycle-ergo.com/

__
Don
scootermann
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex, Yamaha Majesty YP400, Vespa GTV 300ie

Thank You
-Given: 15
-Receive: 22

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 05:25:43 PM »

I agree that Burgmans would be a good choice... a 400 AND a 650. Got all you basis covered.

The Forza is a beautiful little scooter. I had a Reflex and other than getting blown around on the high bridges, was great. Or you could get a Majesty and a Tmax (sportier).

How nice would it be if we ever got the Integra here in the US? To me that is truly the hybrid moto-scoot.
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 105

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 10:23:23 PM »

A brand new Majesty(left over dealer buy back) are advertised at $3,400. After fees, tax, etc.  little over $4k, out the door. At that price point it's tough to beat.

http://hallsmotorsports.com/shop/land/2013-yamaha-majesty/

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
SteveADV
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Triumph Tiger Explorer, Kymco People GT300i

Thank You
-Receive: 0

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 03:39:08 AM »

Good stuff. Appreciate the help. The ergos and my daughter's style preference will likely be the final deciding factors. Out test riding.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: