April 20, 2019, 06:13:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A LONG ROAD  (Read 2392 times)
lucasind
Scooter Freshman

Bikes Owned: Too many to list

Thank You
-Given: 6
-Receive: 1

Email
« on: November 17, 2015, 07:31:03 PM »

I enjoy bringing old bikes back from the dead ...and getting them back on the road.....Something to do during the snow months .
Back in June of 2012 I saw this bike advertised ,and as the months passed it stayed on craigslist apparently no one interested in it. So by the end of Sept . I called the guy and found out that the bike had been in a wreck with his father riding this 85'Kawasaki 1100 LTD the summer it was brand new,and after the insurance co. "totalled" the bike...it remained in the same spot ,next to a barn ,on the edge of a soy bean field for 27 years
(waiting for ME) So on Oct. 1st 2012 ,I made the road trip ,and went and got her     I worked as a kawasaki service tech for 10 years along time ago ...so I was up for this challenge. As you may have guessed, this bike needed everything ,it did not run and the rings had rusted themselves to the cylinder walls ...so the engine was froze up. Slow but sure....progress was made ,here is a look mid way.....about a year ago :

After a ga -jillion hours of labor and a total of about $ 680. bucks...piecing the bike together using m/c parts I have had in my cabinets of stuff...
I took her out for it's FIRST RIDE in 30 years yesterday !   Can tell this bike only had 1988 miles on the OD.....she shifts a smooth as butter
I wish I could have gotten the seat with the bike ,and wasted a bunch of time looking thru the barn on the day I got the bike ,as the P.O said that was the last place he saw it ....but I think he knew it wan't in there. I will watch e-bay for the last couple of pieces that I need,now that yesterday's test ride showed me that I have another great running bike to add to the stable !  Here is a pic of the bike after returning from the test ride yesterday

So another old Jap bike returns to duty after a LONG ....HARD ...road of work !  All along the way....I kept thinking, why didn't this guy put the bike IN the barn and throw a tarp over it .....instead of leaving it out in the weather for 27 years ? Oh well...alls well that ends well !.........Tony

90% of any job is GETTING STARTED !
minimac
Doctor of Scooterology

Thank You
-Given: 52
-Receive: 103

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:05:35 PM »

Nice work!

Walk fast...look worried.
"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"       Marilyn Monroe
Goldwing Aspencade GL1500
Burgman Executive 650
Majesty 400 x2
Morphous 250
jdbrot
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Honda Reflex Sport ABS

Thank You
-Given: 13
-Receive: 120

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 08:30:27 PM »

Cool.
Maggie
Administrator
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: The Fastest Ever Bet & Win 310cc ~ Tsunami 650cc ~ 09 TMax ~ 09 DN-01 ~ 17 Sypder RT-Limited

Thank You
-Given: 324
-Receive: 798

Let's Ride!!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 02:10:57 AM »

That looks awesome! Nice work.  Love the color.

It's a scooterful day in the neighborhood!
SilverBullet
Doctor of Scooterology

Bikes Owned: Pearl

Thank You
-Given: 387
-Receive: 195

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 04:45:45 AM »

Very Nice!!

02 Gl 1800 GoldWing
89 Pacific Coast 800 
2012 Burgman 650 Burgman Trike